6 month visitor visa

Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:20 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
ameera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 month visitor visa

Hi everyone,

I have just joined today, and hope someone can help me. I have 2 questions. 1. I used to live in Canada, lived there for 6 years, have a Social Insurance card and also my landing status papers. Am I still a permanent resident? I came backe in dec 2003.

2. If my husband has to sponsor me again, can I just fly to Canada and request a 6 month visitor visa or do I have to arrange the 6 month visa beforehand. I am a British citizen.
ameera is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:39 am
  #2  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 month visitor visa

Originally Posted by ameera
Hi everyone,

I have just joined today, and hope someone can help me. I have 2 questions. 1. I used to live in Canada, lived there for 6 years, have a Social Insurance card and also my landing status papers. Am I still a permanent resident? I came backe in dec 2003.

2. If my husband has to sponsor me again, can I just fly to Canada and request a 6 month visitor visa or do I have to arrange the 6 month visa beforehand. I am a British citizen.
If you have not spent 2 years out of the last 5 in Canada, your PR is lost. You cannot be sponsored or reapply until you have formally given up PR. Landing papers have been replaced with a PR card now.

You may or may not get in on a visitor permit.

The message for anyone who is eligible, get citizenship when you can. Could save a lot of grief down the road.
Aviator is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:47 am
  #3  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 month visitor visa

Hi

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If you have not spent 2 years out of the last 5 in Canada, your PR is lost. You cannot be sponsored or reapply until you have formally given up PR. Landing papers have been replaced with a PR card now.

You may or may not get in on a visitor permit.

The message for anyone who is eligible, get citizenship when you can. Could save a lot of grief down the road.

One question that I would have, is the OP spouse a Canadian citizen? (She mentions sponsorship) If he is a Canadian citizen and has been accompanying her abroad, then she retains her permanent residence status.
PMM is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:51 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
ameera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 month visitor visa

Yes my husband is canadian. However he did not accompany me back to the uk. We got divorced in 2005 and have now remarried in April this year. My two children also hold canadian passports
ameera is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:53 am
  #5  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 month visitor visa

Hi

Originally Posted by ameera
Yes my husband is canadian. However he did not accompany me back to the uk. We got divorced in 2005 and have now remarried in April this year. My two children also hold canadian passports
Sponsorship is the route then.
PMM is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2011, 6:01 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
ameera is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 month visitor visa

OK, if sponsorship is the route can I request a 6 month visa when I get into canada as I would like to spend time with my husband and can he then sponsor me while I am in Canada?
ameera is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.