Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

6 month holliday while waiting is it possible

6 month holliday while waiting is it possible

Old Jul 6th 2005, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Jaynie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 month holliday while waiting is it possible

Hello hopefully our passport request will arrive soon, we did our medicals on 20th january, sent exta paperwork on 4th february. We have been in process since 9th april 03. My husband went to london a few weeks ago and the person in the window said "you should be there by now" and then told him " I shouldnt say this but some of our colleagues work slower than others" The officer sent an internal email informing the visa officer that my husband had been concerned that we hadnt heard.All of this was 3 weeks ago and still no word. I am going mad, am off work at the moment with stress.

My question is if i was to get on a plane with my child and 2 fury children could i stay for 6 months holliday to get somewhere for us to live, my husband could finish off the sale of the house and sort passports out when the request arrives, would this be ok or would they refuse me entry i am more concerned because of having furry children. The relatives in canada said they would put me up till we find somewhere to live as they too are getting frustrated with the process.

Please help i feel like i just need to get on a plane now iv had enough.

Jaynie
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:55 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 month holliday while waiting is it possible

Jaynie,

First, CHILL OUT, the stress oviously isn't helping you any. Think of your blood presure, and take it a little easy.

Now, think about how long you can visit Canada for. OK ? Work that one out. So, you can stay there as a visitor awaiting PR. So sure, you can do that.

You can enter Canada admitting to immigration officer that you have PR in process (you must be up front about this). There should be no hassles. CIC officer COULD prevent your entry to Canada, but why, if you are 100% honest and have funds to live and place to stay FOC.

But will this move help you any - sure you want to be there, but will distance from family/friends/loved ones without other half help you any ? Serious question. Your house may take a while to sell, who knows ? And, dare say it, other half may prefer you around for mutual support and to handle the house sale easier, with both of you being there to deal with everything. There's nothing like doing this PR/emigration related stuff together, you know

It doesn't seem likely you will fail to get PR, but this move is a risk if things go wrong or there are more delays due to other causes and things out of your control.

Good luck,

Rich

Last edited by Rich_007; Jul 6th 2005 at 12:39 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:07 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaynie
Hello hopefully our passport request will arrive soon, we did our medicals on 20th january, sent exta paperwork on 4th february. We have been in process since 9th april 03. My husband went to london a few weeks ago and the person in the window said "you should be there by now" and then told him " I shouldnt say this but some of our colleagues work slower than others" The officer sent an internal email informing the visa officer that my husband had been concerned that we hadnt heard.All of this was 3 weeks ago and still no word. I am going mad, am off work at the moment with stress.

My question is if i was to get on a plane with my child and 2 fury children could i stay for 6 months holliday to get somewhere for us to live, my husband could finish off the sale of the house and sort passports out when the request arrives, would this be ok or would they refuse me entry i am more concerned because of having furry children. The relatives in canada said they would put me up till we find somewhere to live as they too are getting frustrated with the process.

Jaynie
You have had some very good and sound advice from Rich, i would like to add that we are in Canada now while andy is waiting for PR, it's worked out very good for us and the only drawback would be if i get called to london for an interview. I was prepared for all sorts of questions at the airport but was only asked 1, the purpose of your visit? i said i was visiting family (true) i didn't mention the PR application, partly because it wasn't asked and partly because after a very long and exhausting previous 24 hours, i simply forgot. I wasn't quizzed on it or anything else though.
Every case is different and you should do what you really feel is right for you, as rich said though, be upfront and totally honest about everything if asked.
Good luck
Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:43 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Jaynie, you are thinking about doing exactly what we did. I moved out to Canada with my 8 year old daughter in December of last year. I wanted to be here over the winter so that I could figure out where to build barns etc. My husband stayed for Christmas and then returned to the UK to pack and move out of the house and start tying up the business. He came back out for a visit in March and then returned again. He is back out here again but will be returning on and off for the next year I guess. Logistically it has been perfect having each of us in different countries as we have been able to press on far more quickly with getting positive results for the end goal.

I have enjoyed being out here on my own but he didn't fare quite as well initially; he missed being here and being with me, but we spoke on the phone frequently and I kept reassuring him that it would all be over soon. We have been married for many, many years and have a great relationship. We are both independent people who can easily function apart even if we do miss each other once in a while.

I think if you know yourself well and know that you can do it then why not? In our case it really did help us immensely that one was tidying loose ends up in the old country while the other was speeding on with getting all ready for our future. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jaynie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your words of support and help.
While being on holiday can i still find a house to rent for us all and how do i go about schooling my son he is 13, can he go to school or does he have a huge holiday (Im sure he wouldnt mind).

I think myself and rob would be able to manage apart we know its not forever and we have family in both countries to help us out and there is always web cams.

Surely the ppr cant be that much longer, even the person at the high comission was suprised we were still waiting.

Does anyone know also how much money i should have with me when i land, will i have to show how much for my holliday oo and when we get visa stamps in passports do i meet him at the airport or do we have to fly out to fly back in again. (if you know what i mean)

Thank you so much for your information this site has been a god send to me.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:38 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaynie

Does anyone know also how much money i should have with me when i land, will i have to show how much for my holliday oo and when we get visa stamps in passports do i meet him at the airport or do we have to fly out to fly back in again. (if you know what i mean)
Firstly if you have one way ticket for you and child then they will need to see proof you can afford to stay - plenty of cash, credit cards with good credit limits (statement will show limit and balance avalable so take those with you), address where staying maybe with letter from relative stating you can stay there. One way ticket might arouse concerns for which you'll need good answers, such as staying with relatives, not sure how long for, maybe you will see how it goes, what you end up doing/where touring etc. Demonstrating enough cash to afford return flights plus contact number of where to ring to arrange return ticket would help ?

When you get passport back with visa stamped and COPR you will need to exit Canada and 'land' via CIC office at border re-entry. You can't just go to an office inland and do it. It's a basic process, search this forum for more advice/info. Assuming he is the primary PR applicant, else you will have to 'land' first.

Good luck.

Rich.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 12:39 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Just one other thing to get if you go alone with children. take copies of birth certificates showing you are their parent, and take a letter form your husband saying he is OK with you travelling with the kids in your own.
This is not a joke!!

They will ask you at the airport for proof, as they are hot on child abduction.
I got asked but my daughter is 15 and they said it did not matter as much, as she can speak for herself. I said I did not want her with me as I could not shop with her in tow, but she insisted and I couldnt leave her if I tried!!

QUOTE=Jaynie]Hello hopefully our passport request will arrive soon, we did our medicals on 20th january, sent exta paperwork on 4th february. We have been in process since 9th april 03. My husband went to london a few weeks ago and the person in the window said "you should be there by now" and then told him " I shouldnt say this but some of our colleagues work slower than others" The officer sent an internal email informing the visa officer that my husband had been concerned that we hadnt heard.All of this was 3 weeks ago and still no word. I am going mad, am off work at the moment with stress.

Jaynie [/QUOTE]