6-12 Month Visit???

Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:03 am
Just Joined

manc1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6-12 Month Visit???

Hello All,

I'm 25 based in Manchester, UK and i'm seriously considering a 6-12 month stay in Canada as soon as i've paid off my student overdraft and got some money saved. I've always wanted to travel but to really experience another country and way of life over a period of time rather than spend a brief week or so before moving on. Canada has always appealed to me so i've decided to look into my prospects further.

I've got a few questions about all this really. Firstly is there anyone here who has made this kind of trip on their own? Half of me likes the idea of having no ties and feel it would be an adventure and I could do everything i'd like to. The other half worries it could end up being a bit of an isolating experience.

Secondly, currently in the UK I work in IT Helpdesk Support i'm not on a spectacular wage 19k but I have a few years experience and a few industry qualifications. If possible i'd like to continue this work in Canada maybe working as a contractor. Does this sound a realisitic possibilty or a little far fetched?

Also, i'd like to experience a Canadian city does anyone have any recommendations? Vancouver is the obvious choice I know but i'm just wondering if it might be a little too expensive for me to have a decent standard of living?

I'm glad ive found this place i'm sure i'll find out the things on here they don't tell you on tourist websites!

Thanks for your time,

Chris
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:12 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6-12 Month Visit???

Have you considered BUNAC? This would basically give you an open work permit for a specified period of time, without you requiring an offer of employment.

PS- from what I understand, Vancouver is extremely expensive to live in- certainly in terms of purchasing a property.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:20 am
Just Joined

manc1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah i've already looked into BUNAC it seems like my best option to be honest. My only concern about BUNAC was the jobs seems very generalised and i've no idea if they would include things such as IT Contracting? So I was checking if that kind of thing would be realisitic to aim for in Canada?

thanks again
Chris
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:44 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1982
Hello All,

I'm 25 based in Manchester, UK and i'm seriously considering a 6-12 month stay in Canada as soon as i've paid off my student overdraft and got some money saved. I've always wanted to travel but to really experience another country and way of life over a period of time rather than spend a brief week or so before moving on. Canada has always appealed to me so i've decided to look into my prospects further.

I've got a few questions about all this really. Firstly is there anyone here who has made this kind of trip on their own? Half of me likes the idea of having no ties and feel it would be an adventure and I could do everything i'd like to. The other half worries it could end up being a bit of an isolating experience.

Secondly, currently in the UK I work in IT Helpdesk Support i'm not on a spectacular wage 19k but I have a few years experience and a few industry qualifications. If possible i'd like to continue this work in Canada maybe working as a contractor. Does this sound a realisitic possibilty or a little far fetched?

Also, i'd like to experience a Canadian city does anyone have any recommendations? Vancouver is the obvious choice I know but i'm just wondering if it might be a little too expensive for me to have a decent standard of living?

I'm glad ive found this place i'm sure i'll find out the things on here they don't tell you on tourist websites!

Thanks for your time,

Chris
There is a call centre (help desk) in Chilliwack, Stream. Chilliwack is a lot cheaper to live than Vancouver. However if night life & city amenities is what you're after, they are more limited to the big cities.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:12 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah i've already looked into BUNAC it seems like my best option to be honest. My only concern about BUNAC was the jobs seems very generalised and i've no idea if they would include things such as IT Contracting? So I was checking if that kind of thing would be realisitic to aim for in Canada?

thanks again
Chris
As far as Im aware (although you'd need to check), the BUNAC visa would entitle you to get any job you want. It's only a temporary thing though, so employers might not be interested for anything other than casual type occuaptions- bar work, restaurants etc.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Lenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: 6-12 Month Visit???

Hey Chris,

Ever considered the hospitality business for a year? It's not as skillbased as IT, but think about Banff. Lots of folk your age there. I go there fairly frequently and last year we met a young glaswegian fellow working on the hotel (general porter). The advantage of this kind of work in a tourist place like Banff is that you get to see the beauty of it all year round; skiing, hiking, biking. Calgary is only an hour bus ride away for the city buzz. But even Banff has good pubs and a few clubs, people are really friendly.

As for me... I wanted to come here all my life. Eventually made the trek in 2001 (when I was 37!!!). I too had thought of Toronto and Vancouver ...but they were too expensive. It was tough adjusting, homesick too after about 6 months when reality sets in, no job and funds running low. But the breaks came along with a 'factory' job. Sure it was lonely too (before the job came along). 6 years later ...fantastic job in the downtown area, money to spend, found several great friends, awesome house to call my own and generally loving it all!

You're 25! I'd say this is the best opportunity you're ever going to get. I wish my nephew would have that adventure streak in him. Like I say, Banff (as an example) is just a great buzz, friendly people and not to overpowering for an temporary working visitor. It's a pretty attractive place - you also get the chance to see Alberta. Vancouver is great ...but Hell, it rains soooo much in winter!

Good luck with whatever you decide mate!

Hello All,

Thanks for your time,

Chris
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Shinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really niceShinkansen is just really nice

Yeah, all great advice!

As mentioned above the BUNAC scheme entitles you to work for anybody as you receive an open work-permit. Like gold dust they are! It's all fast-tracked too, as is your SIN number (I received mine in 2-3 weeks when I landed in Vancouver). During that time you're even provided with a piece of paper that states your SIN is being processed which enables you to get a foot in the door with employers and get interviews booked.

Trying to get a job off the back of your own work experience could prove fairly tricky. There was another user on the board who had been doing IT helpdesk work for years, but as it wasn't specialized "enough" getting a firm to get an LMO for them proved extremely tricky. Plus with the wait times for LMO's right now..... it's extremely discouraging for all involved.

I would strongly recommend BUNAC too (look into it and apply now if you're serious as they go QUICK) and try and do some research into what routes you have available to you so you can stay beyond your year if you so wish. Finding a good employer while you're out there, and befriending them, would be advisable! That's what I didn't do as I was just enjoying myself far too much and was naive to the whole immigration process during my time. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

You're in an excellent position already, best of luck!!!!

Shinkansen
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:12 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

thanks again
Chris
BUNAC work permit is open- so you can do anything.

I came on one originally and ended up doing management consultancy.