50 with previous Ilness

Old Jul 29th 2017, 12:24 am
Sej
Just Joined

Sej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 50 with previous Ilness

Hi New to the website. just wanted to know where I stood in relation to a couple of things.

I am 50 yrs old
I previously had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma over 5yrs ago where i received treatment and have been clear ever since.

Will i be penalised based on these two things?

Otherwise from an Education and Work experience point of view i meet the criteria. But wanted to know whether the things mentioned above would mean a non starter for Canada.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 50 with previous Ilness

Originally Posted by Sej
Hi New to the website. just wanted to know where I stood in relation to a couple of things.

I am 50 yrs old
I previously had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma over 5yrs ago where i received treatment and have been clear ever since.

Will i be penalised based on these two things?

Otherwise from an Education and Work experience point of view i meet the criteria. But wanted to know whether the things mentioned above would mean a non starter for Canada.
Hi there. Welcome!

I have no idea but my husband came with diabetes. It all depends on how much you are likely to cost the government. Do you need ongoing care?

Good luck anyway 👍
Old Jul 29th 2017, 2:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, welcome to BE.

As long as you won't cost the Canadian taxpayer more than approx $6000 a year in ongoing treatment, then your previous illness shouldn't prevent you from passing the medical.

Your age may be an issue, but it depends - which visa route are you considering?
Old Jul 29th 2017, 3:40 am
Sej
Just Joined

Hi Thanks for your help and quick response.

I have only ever had check ups over the last 5 yrs (blood tests) which have always been good. I have had no treatment or medication during these 5 years and I do not need or have had any ongoing care. I was released from my regular 3/6 monthly checks back in December 2016.

I am hoping to get a job offer as that is the only way i will make the 450 points mark and i guess the rest will be down to being picked for ITA.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 5:02 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Impossible to say. It isn't the same as diabetes risk-wise unfortunately. It depends on a multitude of things particularly grade of lymphoma, stage, cell type etc. Patients have been shown to potentially have increased risk of other conditions separate from the NHL- haematological and solid cancers, as well as cardiovascular events if certain chemo agents were used.

If it was detected early, low grade, very localised then prognosis is often good -if it was more widespread, higher grade, T cell then prognosis has to be a lot more guarded. Therefore as I say, difficult to say with any hint of certainly whether you would struggle. In any case you would need your oncologist to write a report detailing the condition stage, cell type,treatment and particularly prognosis. I don't want to be the carrier of bad news but I think you might well struggle to be successful

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jul 29th 2017 at 6:48 am.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 9:05 am
Sej
Just Joined

Wow, you seem to know your stuff around this subject. I did have high grade T Cell NHL, however it was localised. There were some side effects of the treatment but nothing that affects me on a day to day basis. After being released from my regular check ups I was told that I could expect a normal life expectancy.

I was not informed of any long term effects of my treatment but they may have said that to keep me at ease.

My question is how do I find Wow, you seem to know your stuff around this subject. I did have high grade T Cell NHL, however it was localised. There were some side effects of the treatment but nothing that affects me on a day to day basis. After being released from my regular check ups I was told that I could expect a normal life expectancy.

I was not informed of any long term effects or risk of other conditions from my treatment but they may have said that to keep me at ease.

My question is how do I find out whether this is a non starter or not?

I can get a Dr report from the consultant who was in charge of my treatment but who do I give it to?

Any advice in this area would be appreciated. out whether this is a non starter or not?

I can get a Dr report from the consultant who was in charge of my treatment but who do I give it to?

Any advice in this area would be appreciated.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 3:04 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sej
I am a physician but certainly do not profess to be an oncologist! We have only had a very small amount of information and from that, it is impossible to meaningfully comment with regard to the chances of you passing the medical or not. Every case is taken on their own merits-as I say, your oncologist report would be crucial.

You say that your treatment was completed more than five years ago-this certainly works in your favour and it is clear that follow-up has not shown any evidence of recurrence. When I was talking about prognosis, this is only with regard to specifically the application-they have to consider the possible chances of the condition returning-obviously nothing is ever known in life and that is guesswork but they will be guided by pathology reports, treatment, and your oncologist's comments.

It sounds as if your oncologist seemed to feel that the prognosis was fairly good and under those circumstances it may well be worth putting in an application. What have you got to lose? I am not sure which visa you'd be using to get over here, I leave the visa issues to those with substantially more knowledge than myself if you feel that you are otherwise eligible to apply then go for it.
Unfortunately, there is no way to find out whether this is in your words a nonstarter or not. I am not sure when the best time to submit the oncologist report would be-either at time of application or when you go for your medical-I will leave that up to those in the know!

Unfortunately communication with the authorities when applying to immigrate to Canada is pretty much useless, and he will not unfortunately get precise answers to these questions however frustrating that might feel.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 6:31 am
Sej
Just Joined

Hi Stinkypup,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my message.

I think the best thing i can do is follow the process and see where it takes me. Like you said i have nothing to lose. I would rather try and fail as opposed to not try at all.