48 hour work permit

Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:45 am
Just Joined

huahin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 48 hour work permit

Hi there,

I am a UK citizen and have been offered a job in Canada. I am familiar with the time scale and visa requiements when applying from your home country however a Canadian friend of mine has suggested this can be done in 48 hours to save time. He is saying you can fly into Canada on a standard tourist visa. You then go to the American boarder with all of your paperwork including your job offer and apply for TRV, this takes 48 hours to process. You then take your TRV with all other paperwork to the city where you are working and you will be issued with your temp work permit there and then. Can anyone tell me if this is true as I have spent hours researching this method and only have half the answers to my questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 48 hour work permit

Unfortunately, your friend is mistaken.

You can get a Temp Work Permit (not a TRV, which is something different and not applicable to you) at the border, so he's correct in that. But you could also just apply at the airport when you arrive (assuming you are a UK citizen, and don't require a medical), so not sure why you'd bother.

So, you take the job offer and LMO to either the airport when you arrive, or to the border after you get to Canada, and then you will be issued with your TWP immediately. Not sure where the 48 hour thing has come from, it's done on the spot either way.

The only caveat is that if you you require a medical, then you have to apply via the London visa office (8-10 weeks), there is no way of getting around that.

HTH, and welcome to the forum.

Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Many thanks Christmasoopa,
The conversation I had with my friend was very brief but after talking to him again he has confirmed the details as per yourself. Would you be able to offer advice on one more detail. As regards the medical, if I complete the medical now as I am in the UK at the moment, if it is required at any stage can I simply get my sister for forward the details to London or can I simply take the certificate with me and show it to the relevant authorities. Once again many thanks for your help.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 9:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huahin
Many thanks Christmasoopa,
The conversation I had with my friend was very brief but after talking to him again he has confirmed the details as per yourself. Would you be able to offer advice on one more detail. As regards the medical, if I complete the medical now as I am in the UK at the moment, if it is required at any stage can I simply get my sister for forward the details to London or can I simply take the certificate with me and show it to the relevant authorities. Once again many thanks for your help.
You may not need a medical, what is the job? Only those in healthcare or working with kids usually require a medical.

But if a medical is required, you have to wait for it to be requested by CIC, you can't just have one done now. You'd need to go to a DMP (list on the CIC website) and they'd forward the results directly to CIC for you, it's not something you do. But as I said above, most people don't need a medical.

If you do require a medical, you'd have to apply via the London visa office, but if you don't, you can just take your paperwork and get your TWP at the airport. Do you already have your LMO?
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Hi Christmasoompa,
Once again thanks for your response and help.
The job I have been offered is a sales position and after service customer care. The position is related to products in Thailand and as I lived there for six years I have the knowledge of the country and practices within the country which I think would not be easy for a Canadian to do unless you have lived there. As of yet I do not have a LMO, believe the company will be putting it through within the next ten days. My plan was to go to Canada within the next few weeks and have a month or six weeks holiday while waiting for the LMO. Then go to the boarder and get my TWP. Thanks for the advise on the medical.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 4:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I would strongly recommend that you don't move to Canada until you've got your LMO - so many are being refused at the moment it would be a massive risk to take.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the good advise. In your opinion why would you say so many are being refused. Are they trying to cut back on the number of foreign workers. I have a number of friends currently Canadian and from the UK working in Canada and they are all saying the job market over there is great and for me to come over, however I would not like to make a mistake and you have offered some very good advise. Thanks.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks again for the good advise. In your opinion why would you say so many are being refused. Are they trying to cut back on the number of foreign workers. I have a number of friends currently Canadian and from the UK working in Canada and they are all saying the job market over there is great and for me to come over, however I would not like to make a mistake and you have offered some very good advise. Thanks.
So many being refused because of the current economic situation, just too many Canadians out of work. If you do a quick search, you'll find lots of threads from people who have had LMO's refused recently - CanadaJimmy and DoyleLinda are two that spring to mind instantly.

HTH.

Old Jun 15th 2011, 5:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Christmasoompa,
Once again thanks for your response and help.
The job I have been offered is a sales position and after service customer care. The position is related to products in Thailand and as I lived there for six years I have the knowledge of the country and practices within the country which I think would not be easy for a Canadian to do unless you have lived there. As of yet I do not have a LMO, believe the company will be putting it through within the next ten days. My plan was to go to Canada within the next few weeks and have a month or six weeks holiday while waiting for the LMO. Then go to the boarder and get my TWP. Thanks for the advise on the medical.
There are lots of Thai Canadians and PRs. If the company has not done an exhaustive search (to HRSDC requirements) and prove they are unable to find suitably qualified labour here, there is a slim chance of getting a LMO approved right now. This would be especially hard for customer support and sales positions.

Coming for a vacation is fine, but don't expect the LMO to be a mere formality. Also if you tell immigration when you come you are wiating for the LMO to get a WP, you may not be let in anyway and have to return from whence you came. You should also have a return flight ticket, otherwise, you may not be allowed on the aircraft to come here, you have more chance of being refused entry.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for the advise guys,
I have been to Canada on a number of occasions on a one way ticket and as a UK citizen have never had a problem with a six month tourist visa. However the information you have provided me with as regards cutting back on LMO is now of great concern. The current status of issuing LOM is something I will have to look into in greater detail. Once again thanks for your advice.
Old Jun 16th 2011, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Hi Guys,
If I can ask one last question as regards LMO's. I read somewhere that large companies apply for LMO's each year in advance and they are issued a certain number of LMO's for that year. This does not ring true to me as I would have thought each LMO has to be assessed on the individual person and their circumstances. Once again many thanks.