Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

33 y/o single female moving to Canada

33 y/o single female moving to Canada

Old Jun 28th 2020, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

crombie_nation is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 33 y/o single female moving to Canada

Hi all!

Firstly, I'll apologise for this post as I appreicappreicate its probably been posted (or similar posts anyway) a million times before.

I am going to be starting the process to moving to Canada, in particular the Nova Scotia area as I have friends there who I would be living with whilst getting on my feet.

I'm currently 33, single with no dependents and a good professional & educational background in finance, travel and most recently, counselling (primarily mental health).

After starting to look at the process for emigrating from the UK, I must admit that I have felt a tad overwhelmed with what I need to do to get this ball rolling.

I've worked out from my own research and also some threads on this site that I need to assess my egilibility for the express entry for federal skilled workers, which will be my first step. Could anyone give me a bit of an idiots guide on the steps I need to take from now, right at the start, and if at all possible, the cost involved?

I'm sorry again if this has been asked before if anyone is able to point me in the right direction and if possible, a step by step guide on what to do, that would be wonderful!!

Thank you in advance

Charlotte
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 33 y/o single female moving to Canada

Try this thread

Move to Canada - Starting the process
Old Jun 28th 2020, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Ah yes I did see this thread and read through it but I'll be honest- it did confuse me a little! Plus, that was a couple doing the move , and I figured my situation is different which would change how it was viewed or processed from an immigration standpoint?
Old Jun 28th 2020, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

All the info you require for Express Entry Skilled worker is in those links. Doesn't matter if single or married that is what you use.
Old Jun 29th 2020, 7:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crombie_nation
Ah yes I did see this thread and read through it but I'll be honest- it did confuse me a little! Plus, that was a couple doing the move , and I figured my situation is different which would change how it was viewed or processed from an immigration standpoint?
Hi, welcome to BE.

Being single has no relevance, other than giving you different points for various things. But it's still the same process whether single, married, or cohabiting.

So you first need to check and see if you score at lest 67 on the FSW points test - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-workers.html

If so, then check your CRS score, you'll need above approx 470 as a rough guide - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

Assume you've taken the English (IELTS) exam, and assume max points for now as a native speaker. Remember that only academic qualifications count, vocational don't, so don't give yourself points for any education that is professional or vocational.

That's for an Express Entry application, which is the quickest and easiest route to PR (without a Canadian spouse sponsoring you). So check that first, if that's not an option then let us know and we can help you figure out the next step.

Re: cost involved, it'll depend on the visa route, but figure about £5k for the application and sundries (medical, police checks etc) as a rough guide. That's the cheapest bit though, It's the moving internationally bit that is the most expensive! There are some useful figures in this thread on that - cost of moving to canada

HTH, best of luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 29th 2020 at 7:34 am.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:59 am
Just Joined

dangboby is an unknown quantity at this point

Maximise your CRS score to help with applicaiton.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dangboby
Maximise your CRS score to help with applicaiton.
How do I do that?
Old Jul 5th 2020, 3:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How do I do that?
If you give us your score, and a breakdown of it, then we can help you work out if there's any way of getting your points score up (if needed - you may be scoring enough anyway).
Old Jul 5th 2020, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all. My first score is 72 and my CRS is 524.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you all. My first score is 72 and my CRS is 524.
If that’s right, you’ve no need to increase your score as that’s more than enough to get PR.

That’s a very high CRS score, have you worked in Canada before?
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If that’s right, you’ve no need to increase your score as that’s more than enough to get PR.

That’s a very high CRS score, have you worked in Canada before?

No I didn't get any points for the latter part of the CRS. I just answered it honestly about my age, education, skilled worker experience etc and that's what it came back with.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 12:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No I didn't get any points for the latter part of the CRS. I just answered it honestly about my age, education, skilled worker experience etc and that's what it came back with.
Perhaps you could give a breakdown, just in case you've missed something - or included something in error .. (it's easily done, interpreting the questions correctly sometimes can be tricky) Have you had your education assessed - or what are you claiming pointswise if you haven't yet?
Old Jul 6th 2020, 8:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OK. Tbh I'm struggling to see how you've got to that score without any Canadian work experience etc, the max is usually about 500 for somebody of your age without any Canadian ties, and that's with the top level of education (PhD) etc.

Can you break the score down for us?
Old Jul 7th 2020, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

timd927 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Crombie, jut wondering how you got on
im currently in the same boat !