Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

2 years of Canadian Work Experience Awarded Instead of 2

2 years of Canadian Work Experience Awarded Instead of 2

Old Mar 25th 2020, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

acrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 years of Canadian Work Experience Awarded Instead of 2

Hello all,

I completed my Express Entry profile today after finally getting back my common-law girlfriends ECA back. After submitting I realized I had 486 points instead of 463 (which the CRS points calculator had been showing). After doing some math I realized they had awarded me 2 years Canadian work experience (image below) when I should only have 1yr (technically 23 months).

Image of Express Entry Score Breakdown

Below is what I submitted, both red and blue squares are the same job and company, but I separated them out as I worked for 23 months in Canada on an IEC Visa, then continued to work for the company from the UK. However you can clearly see I have put July 2013 - June 2015, which I believed only counted as 1 year.

Image of Submitted Work History

486 points puts me squarely above the current cut-off, I am trying my absolute best not to get excited because this seems too good to be true. Is there a mistake?

I triple checked my entire application and everything is correct. More than anything I don't want to get in trouble and come across as 'lying' on my application, everything is truthful I just seem to have gotten more points than expected.

**EDIT**

Title should read: 2 years of Canadian Work Experience Awarded Instead of 1

Last edited by acrylicus; Mar 25th 2020 at 4:10 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:15 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years of Canadian Work Experience Awarded Instead of 2

Hi

Originally Posted by acrylicus
Hello all,

I completed my Express Entry profile today after finally getting back my common-law girlfriends ECA back. After submitting I realized I had 486 points instead of 463 (which the CRS points calculator had been showing). After doing some math I realized they had awarded me 2 years Canadian work experience (image below) when I should only have 1yr (technically 23 months).

Image of Express Entry Score Breakdown

Below is what I submitted, both red and blue squares are the same job and company, but I separated them out as I worked for 23 months in Canada on an IEC Visa, then continued to work for the company from the UK. However you can clearly see I have put July 2013 - June 2015, which I believed only counted as 1 year.

Image of Submitted Work History

486 points puts me squarely above the current cut-off, I am trying my absolute best not to get excited because this seems too good to be true. Is there a mistake?

I triple checked my entire application and everything is correct. More than anything I don't want to get in trouble and come across as 'lying' on my application, everything is truthful I just seem to have gotten more points than expected.

**EDIT**

Title should read: 2 years of Canadian Work Experience Awarded Instead of 1
1, Yes, there is a mistake, in that the system works on the basis of starting working on the 1st of the month, and finishing on the last day of the month. You have to correct it, in that you have less than 24 months of work.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

acrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond reputeacrylicus has a reputation beyond repute

How? I can only put down the months. If I put down August - June I would be giving incorrect information.

Last edited by acrylicus; Mar 25th 2020 at 5:21 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Cheating the system will not be looked upon favourably when you’re uncovered, and you probably will be.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

This is what I am saying, I am not cheating the system, I have put in everything truthfully and don't know what to do. If I adjust the dates it will show less than 2 years, but I will be lying at that point.

Do I lie to adjust the error their system made? Or do I keep my application truthful?
Old Mar 25th 2020, 6:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I am saying, I am not cheating the system, I have put in everything truthfully and don't know what to do. If I adjust the dates it will show less than 2 years, but I will be lying at that point.

Do I lie to adjust the error their system made? Or do I keep my application truthful?
You're absolutely not cheating the system, don't worry about that. You've not lied at any point.

The problem is that you've put your dates for Canada work experience from July 2013 to June 2015. As PMM has said, the system just assumes 1st July 2013 to 30th June 2015 i.e. 2 years, even though that's not actually correct.
Old Mar 25th 2020, 6:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked at your previous threads, says your start date was 27th July 2013, so a Saturday? If that's correct, then I'd just go with August for your start date, as it was almost August anyway, and then you won't be getting points you're not entitled to - would be awful if you got an ITA then went to the cost/effort of submitting a full app only to have it rejected!
Old Mar 25th 2020, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're absolutely not cheating the system, don't worry about that. You've not lied at any point.

The problem is that you've put your dates for Canada work experience from July 2013 to June 2015. As PMM has said, the system just assumes 1st July 2013 to 30th June 2015 i.e. 2 years, even though that's not actually correct.
Thanks - I didn't think I was cheating anything! I am innocent :P

So what do you suggest that I do?
Old Mar 25th 2020, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Just looked at your previous threads, says your start date was 27th July 2013, so a Saturday? If that's correct, then I'd just go with August for your start date, as it was almost August anyway, and then you won't be getting points you're not entitled to - would be awful if you got an ITA then went to the cost/effort of submitting a full app only to have it rejected!
Just saw this.

I don't know... I feel uncomfortable putting the wrong dates in, as I feel they will flag that, but also uncomfortable telling the truth as it gives me undue points.

Is there any official number I can call, or any official inbox I can message?
Old Mar 26th 2020, 8:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Just saw this.

I don't know... I feel uncomfortable putting the wrong dates in, as I feel they will flag that, but also uncomfortable telling the truth as it gives me undue points.

Is there any official number I can call, or any official inbox I can message?
No, afraid not. You can consult an immi lawyer if you want though.

Giving you undue points isn't an issue unless you try and claim them, but all that will happen is that you'll get an ITA, you'll submit a full application and then you'll be rejected as your points score will be lower than they initially gave you. Hence why I'd just amend the date, to save all that. You're not amending it in your favour so it's not an issue, and when you do finally apply you can include a cover letter to explain why you moved the date by a few days. Did you really start the job on a Saturday? Seems odd to me, so it may be that the date isn't accurate anyway and you're misremembering it.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

No, afraid not. You can consult an immi lawyer if you want though.

Giving you undue points isn't an issue unless you try and claim them, but all that will happen is that you'll get an ITA, you'll submit a full application and then you'll be rejected as your points score will be lower than they initially gave you. Hence why I'd just amend the date, to save all that. You're not amending it in your favour so it's not an issue, and when you do finally apply you can include a cover letter to explain why you moved the date by a few days. Did you really start the job on a Saturday? Seems odd to me, so it may be that the date isn't accurate anyway and you're misremembering it.
Yes sorry it was actually the 29th of July, the Monday.

OK so I will adjust to August and take the hit on the points, if you are sure that is the best thing to do. Hard pill to swallow (though I am used to that now over my 8 year immigration struggle)
Old Mar 26th 2020, 9:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes sorry it was actually the 29th of July, the Monday.

OK so I will adjust to August and take the hit on the points, if you are sure that is the best thing to do. Hard pill to swallow (though I am used to that now over my 8 year immigration struggle)
What's the exact date you finished? Double check that and let us know.
Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

What's the exact date you finished? Double check that and let us know.
I got a bit ahead of the game and already have my employment confirmation letters.

https://i.imgur.com/iuZvzFB.png
Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I got a bit ahead of the game and already have my employment confirmation letters.

https://i.imgur.com/iuZvzFB.png
OK. Where was the 2013-2015 job located? It doesn't mention that, was that Canada or the UK?
Old Mar 26th 2020, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

OK. Where was the 2013-2015 job located? It doesn't mention that, was that Canada or the UK?

"From July 29, 2013 until June 12, 2015 he worked in the Head Office located in London, Ontario. He then relocated to the UK where he worked remotely from home until November 6, 2015. "

London Ontario, Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.