Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

2 year period in a 5 year question

2 year period in a 5 year question

Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

thedougster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 year period in a 5 year question

I have always though that I have to live in Canada for 2 years out of the first 5 as part of my visa conditions.

Someone has however informed me that if we are living together outwith Canada it counts towards the required time.

Has anyone else heard about this or is it just wishful thinking?

Douglas
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:40 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 year period in a 5 year question

Originally Posted by thedougster
I have always though that I have to live in Canada for 2 years out of the first 5 as part of my visa conditions.

Someone has however informed me that if we are living together outwith Canada it counts towards the required time.

Has anyone else heard about this or is it just wishful thinking?

Douglas
Is one of you a Canadian Citizen?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 11:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you have been sponsored by your Canadian spouse, and are living with him/her outside Canada, then yes, that time counts for residency purposes.

Info is in the Wiki if you want to read up on it further.

Edit: just to add that for the sake of anybody reading, it's not '2 years out of the first 5', it's 2 years out of *every* five year period to maintain PR status.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 27th 2011 at 12:03 am.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:02 am
Just Joined

thedougster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. Yes she is a Canadian.

I will have a look at the wiki to see what is says.

Is there any advice on what evedance we would need to show we are living together?

Last edited by thedougster; Sep 27th 2011 at 12:09 am.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:39 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: 2 year period in a 5 year question

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you have been sponsored by your Canadian spouse, and are living with him/her outside Canada, then yes, that time counts for residency purposes.

Info is in the Wiki if you want to read up on it further.

Edit: just to add that for the sake of anybody reading, it's not '2 years out of the first 5', it's 2 years out of *every* five year period to maintain PR status.
ive posted a similar question to this in the trucking forum and received 2 different answers. How does would this effect me as a truck driver , working for a Canadian company and going in and out of the us
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arniedog
ive posted a similar question to this in the trucking forum and received 2 different answers. How does would this effect me as a truck driver , working for a Canadian company and going in and out of the us
If you are being sent abroad to work by a Canadian company, then that also counts as time spent inside Canada for PR status purposes, same as time with a Canadian spouse does. You can easily check it yourself on the CIC website to make sure that you meet the requirements for maintaining PR whilst working abroad.

And the Wiki page on maintaining PR status also has the info about working abroad so that's worth a read too.

Edit: I've just read your thread in the trucking forum on the subject - given that one of the respondents was PMM, I think you can safely assume that he's right!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 27th 2011 at 12:44 am.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:45 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you are being sent abroad to work by a Canadian company, then that also counts as time spent inside Canada for PR status purposes, same as time with a Canadian spouse does. You can easily check it yourself on the CIC website to make sure that you meet the requirements for maintaining PR whilst working abroad.

And the Wiki page on maintaining PR status also has the info about working abroad so that's worth a read too.

Edit: I've just read your thread in the trucking forum on the subject - given that one of the respondents was PMM, I think you can safely assume that he's right!
ok thanks for that