Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

2 questions on new Canadian PR card

2 questions on new Canadian PR card

Old Oct 18th 2002, 5:48 am
Just Joined

xerxes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 questions on new Canadian PR card

Hi,
I landed in March 2001 and currently use my immigration papers to travel between Canada and USA through ground borders using my car. I have two questions regarding the new Canadian PR card:

1) In the application brochure of PR card that I downloaded from the official PR card web site, in the first pragaraph it is mentioned that:

On december 31, 2003, the PR Card will be a required document for permanent residents, including children, returning to Canada by any **commercial** transporter (plane, train, boat, bus or taxi).

(there is an emphasize on the ** commercial** transporter).
Does that imply that if we return to Canada through the ground borders (for example from USA), using our private cars (not using a commercial transporter), we are not obligated to have the PR card and the immigration papers will suffice?

2) According to the time table allocated for the immigrants who landed before, I have to apply for the PR card sometimes between Decemeber 2002 and end of February 2003. Because of my travel arrangements, I might not be able to be present in Canada during that time. If I miss that period, what will happen? Can I apply at some other time?

I appreciate any comments on these questions,
xerxes