Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

19 year old UK citizen considering moving to Canada but is unsure how to do so.

19 year old UK citizen considering moving to Canada but is unsure how to do so.

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:05 am
Just Joined

FallenAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 19 year old UK citizen considering moving to Canada but is unsure how to do so.

Hello all,
I'm new to this site, but I was hoping someone would be able to help me with my situation. The topic may seem not to be relevant to this thread now, but it will once you get lower:

My boyfriend is 19, and is a UK citizen. We've fallen in love and have been dating long-distance for about a year. I'm really serious about him, and really would like to marry him, but our problem seems to be money, as well as his finding the motivation to do certain things like write (he's an aspiring author). He's been trying left and right to find a job in the UK and become financially stable, but because of his lack of work experience, the search has been unsuccessful.

So, currently, he's living with family, and is hoping to move here to the USA in order to be with me. The problem is we are having a tough time being apart - and it's not helping with depression issues that are arising, along with others.

I'm currently 18, and hold two jobs as well as go to college full time. And I'm trying my best to find a way for him to come over. Does anyone know how this would be possible? I don't make much, since it's minimum wage, and the total hours of both jobs doesn't go over 15-20 hours a week. My parents don't have much, because we recently relocated to the state in which we live now. And my boyfriend and his parents don't have much either (he has a small amount of money saved, but it's not much).

College isn't the right path for him (believe me, it isn't). And he'd not benefit from becoming a student and coming over via student visa, since my college tuition is so expensive, and he wouldn't have the money to cover it (he'd prefer not to take out loans as of yet, since we're so unstable and he'd like a sturdy foundation on which to build financial security - as in, no debt).

I posted this here because I've been seriously thinking of relocating to Canada, but I'm unsure what would be needed of me in order to do so, as an American citizen. By the end of this year, I should have two properties secured, I'm hoping, in my name and I'm currently due to take my Air Traffic Control test this week. After finishing, I will be eligible for training if hired somewhere. So a lot rests on what happens regarding that. Regardless however, I needed knowledge on what it'd take for a UK citizen in his position to move to Canada - since it'd be best for both of us (if, that is, he was unable to move to the USA in a simpler way). At least then, I'd be able to visit him without it being as expensive, and he'd be able to gather some information on Canada to be used when I move up.

This is probably all really confusing, which I apologize about. But, if anyone understands, can you help with any suggestions? We're in dire need of assistance.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:21 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 19 year old UK citizen considering moving to Canada but is unsure how to do so.

Hello FallenAngel, and welcome to the BE forum.

A British citizen between the ages of 18 and 30 can get a 12-month working holiday visa for Canada through BUNAC.

That would only be a stop-gap measure, however.

Read the Wiki article called Quick Guide to Canadian Immigration.

Since you're an American citizen, the Wiki article on Free Trade Agreements is applicable to you. But I can tell you now that the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) only helps people in certain degreed professions to get into Canada.

Until you or your boyfriend had qualified in a profession or trade that was in demand in Canada or until you had accumulated enough experience and money to start a business, it's not immediately apparent to me how you could get into Canada.

In your current circumstances I don't even see how you could qualify for the Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream.

I wish I could think up a promising idea, but I can't. Perhaps someone else knows something that I don't know.

I wish you all the best with your quest.
x
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:57 am
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future
Default Re: 19 year old UK citizen considering moving to Canada but is unsure how to do so.

I can really relate to what it is like to be constantly separated from a loved one, and all of the frustrations that go with it. Seems to me that you two are just too plain young and inexperienced to be even thinking of immigration, as you are unlikely to qualify in any way, shape or form. You are buried in your studies, and you must not give up on that! Your boyfriend should maybe contemplate a different job search, which will at least allow him to get some money together. He can still be an "aspiring" writer in his free time. Has he thought of "free-lancing" and submitting articles to magazines etc? There are lots of ways to see each other, but they all require travel and money. I guess it all depends on what each of you is prepared to do, to change your circumstances. Sorry if none of this really helps, but you are both in very poor positions at the moment.
Good luck anyhow.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:58 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Judy that a BUNAC work visa

http://www.bunac.org/uk/workcanada/

would be a good place for him to start. If you could tie that in with whatever you have to do to get here (of which I know nothing) it might at least give you the opportunity to spend a year or more together here, after which time the future might be clearer for you both.

Actually, BUNAC might work for you too!

http://www.bunac.org/usa/workcanada/default.aspx

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 1:31 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: 19 year old UK citizen considering moving to Canada but is unsure how to do so.

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hello FallenAngel, and welcome to the BE forum.

x
Thank you so much Judy, for the warm welcome.

And thank you to everyone else who posted. I truly do appreciate it. I'll definitely tell him about the recommendations you've given - It sounds like it'll definitely help us. You've all been wonderful.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:12 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

If you were able to get a job in Canada, and you successfully got a work permit for that job, you *might* then be able to secure a permanent residency in Canada. Only then would you be able to even think about bringing your SO over to live with you. This is if built upon a tower of ifs.

I know something of what you're going through. It's difficult enough when your circumstances are relatively straightforward (UK citizen marries Canadian citizen), and getting legal residence in Canada. But when you're American and he's British, and you're hoping to move to a third country, you've got a mountain to climb. I salute you. Your best bet is going to be finishing your studies, applying everywhere in Canada for an appropriate job and then applying for permanent residency. See your OH throughout. Your relationship is more important than where you are.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:14 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

By the way: is ATC anything like it's portrayed in Pushing Tin? Always wondered.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:37 am
Just Joined

How is it portrayed in Pushing Tin, edsask? I'm unfamiliar with the name, unfortunately, but if you describe what you meant, I'd be happy to let you know. I took my test last week and got my scores - I passed, which is a joy for me.

Do they have openings for such in Canada though? I'm not sure at all about that, or whether their rules are the same as they are here in the US (ATC's are required to retire after 25 years of work because of the high levels of stress, so right now, there's a big call for applicants, since a large group of ATCs are retiring at once.)

Also, what do "SO" and "OH" mean in your first post, edsask? Sorry if the meanings are really obvious. My mind's not been up to speed lately with the lack of sleep I've been having lol. Thank you for your advice though. =) I appreciate your taking the time to reply to me like that.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:24 am
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi FallenAngel, it sound slike you have your head screwed on. your boyfriend on the other hand sounds the opposite. he can't find work is BS. there's plenty of jobs, probably just no in what he wants to do. if he was serious about getting over to you, he'd work any job to put aside some money.

not meaning to judge but he sounds like he's not even trying and wants to be given everything.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sheadboy
Hi FallenAngel, it sound slike you have your head screwed on. your boyfriend on the other hand sounds the opposite. he can't find work is BS. there's plenty of jobs, probably just no in what he wants to do. if he was serious about getting over to you, he'd work any job to put aside some money.

not meaning to judge but he sounds like he's not even trying and wants to be given everything.
Aw, it's alright, sheadboy. I know how it sounds - it's hard to write things out so that they sound differently. Here in the US, when summer came last year, I applied for about 40-60 jobs (literally), and didn't get one at all (because of lack of experience) until I got to college and was able to gain experience by working for a department in the office. He's applied for many jobs too, but the same problem occurs for him.

But things are getting better. And it looks like he might have caught the interest of an employer in Scotland. So, we'll see how things go. Thank you for the concern, however. =)