Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

18 year old British Citizen wants to study and work in Canada

18 year old British Citizen wants to study and work in Canada

Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:49 am
Just Joined

alex9106 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 18 year old British Citizen wants to study and work in Canada

How about if i tried to study in Seattle? Anybody know if the requirements are abit less?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alex9106
well tbh, i wanted to really go to canada to be with my girlfriend but seeing as im not gonna be able to study there is there any other way i can get there?
If she's Canadian/PR, she can sponsor you if you get married....
Old Feb 1st 2010, 5:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

How about if i tried to study in Seattle? Anybody know if the requirements are abit less?
You could take a look on the US immigration web site as well as posting in the US forum. You still need money though for international rates and as your girlfriends family are in Burnaby, you'd not be staying there, so you'd need to pay for accommodation, living expenses, medical insurance and getting into BC to see your girlfriend. You do know how far Seattle is from Vancouver?

Seriously doubt you would be able to borrow the money from a conventional lender, what security could you offer? US lenders won't lend to a foreigner and UK lenders are unlikely to lend to someone going overseas.

Suggest you spend a bit of time on the Internet and do some in depth research.

You could also look into the Bunac program for a 1 year student working visa.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:05 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

well tbh, i wanted to really go to canada to be with my girlfriend but seeing as im not gonna be able to study there is there any other way i can get there?
Try this. Not sure you'll get it this year though.

http://www.bunac.org/UK/workcanada/
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:51 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator

You could also look into the Bunac program for a 1 year student working visa.
Technically he shouldn't as being in a relationship with a Canadian makes him ineligible.

He still could though really and he could apply now in fact, he would just need a solid offer from a UK college or uni.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:11 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Technically he shouldn't as being in a relationship with a Canadian makes him ineligible.

He still could though really and he could apply now in fact, he would just need a solid offer from a UK college or uni.
What relationship?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:15 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming that one, unless he means that his girlfriend is another non-Canadian who is going there for work/study/family.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If she's just a girlfriend, then it's fine. Bunac only says those with common-law partners who are Canadian are ineligible, so unless they've lived together for a year or more, he'd be fine.

OP - if you want to find out about studying in Seattle, then you'd need to look in to a F-1 visa for the US. But be prepared to pay even more, tuition fees for the US are notoriously steep, and can often run in to six figures!

I think the suggestion of Bunac is a great one, it would give you a years open work permit for Canada to see if it's for you. During that time you can save up money for fees and then switch to a study permit at the end of it if you still want to stay there and study. Only problem is the program has just closed for this year so you'll need to wait until December to apply, but you can visit Canada in the interim.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

How do you define between 'girlfriend' and 'common-law partner'? I'm asking for myself really as I've often wondered and I may need to know one day.

International student fees in the USA are rediculous to the point that very few British actually directly study there and most of those who do are usually on International programs with UK partnership universities or are on some sort of scholarship (usually post-graduate).

I was looking into it a few years ago and even the crappiest universities in backwater nowheresville can wind up costing you around $20-30 thousand US dollars a year when you factor in living costs, health care and travel etc. The good news is that in your case they would most likely see you as a cash cow so would probably be offered places in spite of your GCSE results. In many cases it is wealthy students from Africa, India and the Far East who keep some of the smaller American uni's going financially.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:03 pm
Beep

I'm assuming that one, unless he means that his girlfriend is another non-Canadian who is going there for work/study/family.
I don't think you understood what i was getting at
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:04 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by el_richo
I don't think you understood what i was getting at
Now I do.

Slightly mean though.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How do you define between 'girlfriend' and 'common-law partner'? I'm asking for myself really as I've often wondered and I may need to know one day.
Depends on the country you are in, but for Canadian immigration purposes, if you've lived together for a year or more, you're common-law partners.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:27 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends on the country you are in, but for Canadian immigration purposes, if you've lived together for a year or more, you're common-law partners.
That's useful information to have, thanks mate.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Lots of people do it, they abuse the bunac system to get out there to join their partners then after a year apply for common law or spousal aponsorship.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 10:56 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by MR79

Lots of people do it, they abuse the bunac system to get out there to join their partners then after a year apply for common law or spousal aponsorship.
I don't think of them as really abusing it, they're just using a route available to allow them to be with their partner, there's no real harm in that.

It technically isn't a 'bunac' system either, it's just the Youth Mobility Scheme which the CIC seems to have sub-contracted to Bunac in the UK for some reason and they have then proceeded to make it into a money spinner for them and thrown a load of additional complications and pretty silly 'regulations' into the bargain.

If you're from any other country which has a YMS agreement with Canada then you can apply pretty much all year round and get exactly the same visa just by sending a bankers draft for $150CAD to the embassy with a 3 page application form. It's far cheaper and it's far less hassle. UK citizens got a bit shafted on that one.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 1st 2010 at 11:00 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.