Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

18 year old British Citizen wants to study and work in Canada

18 year old British Citizen wants to study and work in Canada

Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:10 am
Just Joined

alex9106 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile 18 year old British Citizen wants to study and work in Canada

Hey guys,

Ive posted something like this before here but now i have found where i want to study and now im just in the process of looking at what i want to study, I was wondering if i could move from the UK to Canada to study at British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) and have a job at the same time to support myself there. These are my grades if they help

Remember, F isnt a fail in the UK. U is a fail. ( I know my grades are so good =[ )

Science - D
Additional Science - F
Religious Studies - F
English - E
English Lit - F
Resistant Materials Tech - F
Physical Ed - F
Maths - D
French - D

I also have a certificate for passing the IT Practitioner BTEC National Diploma.

So can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT : Id like to end up living in Canada after studying!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:14 am

MrMrsChapman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 18 year old British Citizen wants to study and work in Canada

Well there are options, someone will be able to give you some straightforward advice Im sure. But in the meantime, have you looked at this website?.....http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp

It will tell you everything you need to know about Canadian Visa options!
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the link, im hoping someone who has been through the process and have succeded will come along. Im abit worried about my grades though =[
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:39 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by alex9106
Hey guys,

Ive posted something like this before here but now i have found where i want to study and now im just in the process of looking at what i want to study, I was wondering if i could move from the UK to Canada to study at British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) and have a job at the same time to support myself there. These are my grades if they help

Remember, F isnt a fail in the UK. U is a fail. ( I know my grades are so good =[ )

Science - D
Additional Science - F
Religious Studies - F
English - E
English Lit - F
Resistant Materials Tech - F
Physical Ed - F
Maths - D
French - D

I also have a certificate for passing the IT Practitioner BTEC National Diploma.

So can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT : Id like to end up living in Canada after studying!
1. You may have to rethink you plan, the cost of the international program at BCIT is 13K-19K per year, also you have to show 10K for your first year of studies for living expenses, so you need to have at least 23K for your first year. You can only work on campus for the first 6 months( there probably aren't any jobs on the main Bby campus) and then, with permission, you can only work up to 20 hrs per week off campus during school sessions.
2. You may wish to see if your marks will get you into the program there see: http://www.bcit.ca/international/students/apply/
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Oh, I have a place to stay, my friend and her dad live in BC so will i be able to live with them while i study and work?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:41 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Oh, I have a place to stay, my friend and her dad live in BC so will i be able to live with them while i study and work?
You still need the 10 K.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Oh, well i guess im screwed then =[ Is there any other way i could study without paying so much money? im just so sick of london and studying here

Last edited by alex9106; Feb 1st 2010 at 7:46 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:52 am

Oh, well i guess im screwed then =[ Is there any other way i could study without paying so much money? im just so sick of london and studying here
Why dont you try relocating in the UK first? Might be the change you need to get away for a bit and meanwhile you could maybe retake some exams to get the grades up or retrain in a new profession with the view to applying for work in the future? Baby steps and all that

Immigration every which way is expensive, as I have found out but with a bit of work you can make it happen.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 7:56 am
Just Joined

When do i pay for the tuition? before i start the course or after? Could i take out a 10k loan and pay for the tuition? Or something of that sort?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:24 am
Just Joined

I dont want to move around the uk, im set on moving to Canada =|
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:50 am

I dont want to move around the uk, im set on moving to Canada =|
Fair enough, my husband and I feel the same!

So it looks like you will need to first find the money and then a placement in a university in Canada, then get through the application process. Although even if you get there and study you would need to then get a job offer to be able to stay in Canada (according to the terms on the CIC website anyway) which is easier said than done in some occupations (speaking from experience).

In all honesty though, I cant see many universities accepting anything lower than a C grade in most subjects, a quick search on google seems to think the same
Old Feb 1st 2010, 8:54 am
Just Joined

My friend tells me that BCIT isnt a university apprently so im now confused

EDIT : Her dad works there, he is a boiler engineer.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:08 am

According to their website its a Polytechnic.

Ive just been having a read (Im nosy!). Their website is pretty good, lots of info and they welcome international students! You probably already know this but the same application process applies as it does to a UK uni, including the points system, so if your grades are too low to study in a British Uni, according to the info on their website, it would be too low to study there too. So you may need to go back an retake your basic maths, english gsce's before you could be considered, which would take time but would be worth it. Bout you probably already knew that, sorry if Im going over old ground
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Its ok, i think my dreams are dying =[ looks like im stuck in england for a couple more years i guess....siigh =[ Thanks for you help anyways...

Last edited by alex9106; Feb 1st 2010 at 9:33 am.
Old Feb 1st 2010, 9:40 am
Just Joined

well tbh, i wanted to really go to canada to be with my girlfriend but seeing as im not gonna be able to study there is there any other way i can get there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.