Is it 100% confirmed?

Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:46 am
Just Joined

aussie2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it 100% confirmed?

My friend got a letter from CIS saying that his PR card has been processed and approved. He was asked to bring his originals on a particular day and time of this week. He has all his original documents that he may have to validate at the time of collecting his PR card.

He is expected to travel the very next day he would receive hsi PR card.

Can anyone think of any reasons for which he would still not get his PR card and he may have to end up cancelling his travel plans?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it 100% confirmed?

Originally Posted by aussie2010
My friend got a letter from CIS saying that his PR card has been processed and approved. He was asked to bring his originals on a particular day and time of this week. He has all his original documents that he may have to validate at the time of collecting his PR card.

Can anyone think of any reasons for which he would still not get his PR card and he may have to end up cancelling his travel plans?
There could be loads, not leaving a lot of room for error. Anything would be mere speculation and he will find out in the fullness of time.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

It does not sound like a Canadian PR even though it is posted on the Canadian Immigration section. I have never heard of someone needing to take all the original documents once the PR is approved and the card is mailed. I may be wrong.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Want2Move
It does not sound like a Canadian PR even though it is posted on the Canadian Immigration section. I have never heard of someone needing to take all the original documents once the PR is approved and the card is mailed. I may be wrong.
Sounds like an extension of the PR card rather than an original
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:18 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 cents is that it's not the PR card he's getting, but he's getting landed at his local CIC office.

When I did my inland application I had a couple of letters. One was from Vegreville stating that processing of my application was complete and it would be forwarded to my local CIC office (CIC Mississauga). This letter made mention that at the time of your appointment to bring the original versions of your identity documents (passports and such like) as the PR Visa would have the name that appears on your ID documents.

The other letter was one that invited me to an examination interview at CIC Mississauga, and this made mention of bringing ID and supporting documentation (it was a common-law application, so my OH also had to come along, and we had to show documentation we were residing at the same address). Others had the same letter and it turned out that this letter actually meant we were going to be landed, even though it NEVER stated this on the letter.

If this is indeed the case then he will NOT be getting his PR card when he lands, as I and others did not, you are told it'll appear in the post four to six weeks after landing. You will have a COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residence) form, which is I believe the receipt type part of the PR Visa, but it states clearly that this is NOT valid for travel. Your passport also gets stamped as well, and I'm not sure if that helps any either.

The "interview" was actually sitting with an IO whilst they ran through the items on the visa, checked our passports and proof we lived at the same address (I had various bits of documentation for this, joint mortgage, bank statements, utility bills. For us, Ontario Drivers Licenses seemed to be enough as that is all she checked). and asked a few questions, eg; are you on welfare, any criminal prosecutions, have I been refused entry to Canada, then asked my OH if she still wished to sponsor me. Once answered, the form was dated and signed, any existing TWP's were taken from me and my passport was stamped and I was landed.

We were not sure what was going to be asked, so we came well prepared. As said by others, there could be many reasons why PR may be declined at this point. If, for example, you're not living at the same address as your sponsor (if it's a sponsorship application of course), they would want to know why and could refuse it on those grounds.

My understanding is that without the actual PR card, you could probably leave Canada without issue, but re-entering Canada could be tricky, as you would be a PR, but would not have a PR Card, so entry may be refused.

I certainly would certainly recommend talking to the CIC and asking them what the situation is regarding travel when you have landed but don't have a PR Card.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

spaa will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aussie2010

Never came across..
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
My understanding is that without the actual PR card, you could probably leave Canada without issue, but re-entering Canada could be tricky, as you would be a PR, but would not have a PR Card, so entry may be refused.
Which of course would be illegal.

The issue is discussed in:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada