1 year working holiday

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Adelex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1 year working holiday

Me any my partner ages 22 and 25 are looking at getting a visa to go to Canada for work? Is it easy to get this visa? Will we have a struggle getting a job and apartment?
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1 year working holiday

Welcome to BE!

The IEC working holiday permit stream should open again in December/January - there are limited places so you should be ready to apply as soon as it opens.

If you have a look at the IEC website, it has a lot of info: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nce/index.aspx

There is a thread on the IEC 2013 that you can get some useful info from: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...00743&page=572

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Thanks, do you know how hard it is to get a job over there? And also if I applied for the visa this year but don't plan to go over until next September would I still be able to stay a full year!
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:42 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adelex
Thanks, do you know how hard it is to get a job over there? And also if I applied for the visa this year but don't plan to go over until next September would I still be able to stay a full year!
You can't apply for the IEC whv this year - it doesn't open until December/January.

Your work permit starts the day you validate your IEC at the airport (or border) and is valid for a year.

As to work, it would depend on what you do and what experience and qualifications you have - and where you are planning on going.

Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:52 am
Just Joined

It would be ontario we would be looking at, I'm currently a travel agent and my partner does groundwork/gardening
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 6:59 am
Banned

It would be ontario we would be looking at, I'm currently a travel agent and my partner does groundwork/gardening
Do you have qualifications in working as a Travel Agent? It is not a regulated job, but you may have problems getting one without certification. There are usually lots of jobs available in fast food places and bars, but you would need to get your smartserve if you wanted to work in a bar in Ontario - you can do it online, it's not difficult.

You can see what travel agent jobs are available here: http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...abs_container2 and here: http://www.indeed.ca/jobs?q=travel+agent&l=ON

As to gardening (called landscaping here) etc., that is very much a seasonal job here and he would probably only get labouring type of work unless he has qualifications. You can use either of the websites above to check what is available in landscaping/grounds maintenance. http://www.indeed.ca/jobs?q=landscaping&l=ON and http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...elper#job_opps
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks, I wouldn't be bothered about being a travel agent as such even admin reception work would be fine
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 7:10 am
Banned

Thanks, I wouldn't be bothered about being a travel agent as such even admin reception work would be fine
That would be harder to get into.

I know several administrative assistants/clerical workers who have been unemployed for months. Again, whilst admin work is not regulated employers look more favourably on those that have qualifications in it.

Your best bet is to look at the websites I suggested (along with the ones listed in the wiki) and see what kind of work is available.

Old Oct 29th 2013, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

To be honest from what you said you and your partner do, have a look at Calgary. Far more jobs in the area's you are looking for. Great city as well.