Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

[IEC 2013] Non-Married English-French couple

[IEC 2013] Non-Married English-French couple

Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:58 am
Just Joined

tiffcanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Question [IEC 2013] Non-Married English-French couple

Hello,
My boyfriend and I were hoping to obtain a year long Working holiday VISA for Canada, Quebec, for the end of 2013 beginning of 2014. Having looked online at several sites/forums it seems that we would need to apply for an IEC visa at the end of January, beginning of Feb and that as of 2013 the visa would be valid for 24 months.

The issue we have is that I am a British citizen, aged 26 and my partner a French citizen, aged 30. We have been together 4 ½ years but have no official marital status. We have recently moved to the UK after spending the past 3 years working and living in France.

From reading the Residency Requirements it appears that in order to be eligible for the IEC one has to have been a resident in the UK for the past 3 years or have lived abroad for no longer than 18 months. This seems to be very clear, which would unfortunately mean that I am not eligible.

Residency Requirements
What does “3 years habitual residency requirement” mean?
This means that that a candidate’s habitual residence (i.e. physically residing/living) must be in the UK for a period of at least three years full-time directly prior to applying to the IEC. An exception can be made if the candidate has temporarily resided in a foreign country for studies or short-term work, but the time spent outside the UK must not exceed 18 months cumulative over the three previous years.
Source : http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...AQ.aspx?view=d

1. Is there another French/English couple that has had a similar issue?
2. As I have been living in Europe and have a French partner is the embassy likely to accept our case?
3. Without having an official marital status and with us not having the same nationality, would we be able to apply as ‘common law partners’?
4. As a married couple and/or common law partner’ would we process our visa through the same embassy? Or would we have to go through our respective Embassies?
5. Does anyone know the UK-Canada VISA quota for 2013?
6. When you Visa is issued, how long is it valid for before leaving for Canada? The French embassy doesn’t allow applications until October 2013. If we were to apply separately would this affect us?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [IEC 2013] Non-Married English-French couple

Hi, and welcome to BE.

As you've said, unfortunately you are not eligible for the IEC as you haven't been in the UK for enough time before applying.

You can't apply as 'common-law partners', that's not applicable to the IEC visa. For IEC, you'd each need a visa if you want to work - your bf could put you down on his form, but then you'd only be on a visitor visa (and may not be able to stay for the same length of time as him).

So I'm really sorry, but you wouldn't be able to go on IEC yet. Perhaps you could apply next year if you've been in the UK long enough then? As long as that doesn't mess up your bf's residency requirements for the French program of course!

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 26th 2013 at 9:10 am.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Hello,

Thanks so much for your reply.

We are planning to get married this year but from reading what you have said this doesn't seem to change the situation. Is that correct?
We moved back to the UK at the end of 2012 so we theoretically have to wait three whole years until we can think about applying.

I must admit I am surprised this is one of the conditions. As France is part of Europe and as I didn't need a working permit or Visa to live and work there it never occurred to us we would have this issue when applying for Canada.

Would it be possible to apply for a work permit if a job was secured beforehand?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tiffcanada; Jan 27th 2013 at 8:18 am.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that's correct, being married would make no difference. On the IEC there is no dependents status on an IEC. So you could accompany your boyf/husband and enter Canada in a visitor visa, but not get your own IEC unless you qualify.

Not sure what you mean about France being part of Europe? It's a different country, so doesn't count for IEC purposes.

And yes, if you can get a job offer and LMO then you could go over on a TWP.

HTH.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Ok thank you for your advice.

As I am under 30 (age 25) I believe I would be eligible for the YPP ( young Professional program ).
The program seems to open in the next few days : http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d

I'm sorry to persist on this but having studied french at degree level and then having lived and worked in France, Quebec was my next big challenge. Just trying to find a way around the residency requirement.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by tiffcanada
As I am under 30 (age 25) I believe I would be eligible for the YPP ( young Professional program ).
The program seems to open in the next few days : http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ex.aspx?view=d
That is the IEC, it's the same thing.

There is no way around the residency requirement, unless they change the rules when the program opens for the 2013 program (possible, as they have changed it for the Irish program).

So all you can do is keep an eye on the website and see if it changes. If not, then you wouldn't be eligible.