*Warning: ETA issues

Old Jan 9th 2017, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: *Warning: ETA issues

I think it's prudent to check esp if your Work Permit was issued at the POE. And certainly if it was issued at Vegreville.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 9th 2017 at 2:48 am.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I think it's prudent to check esp if your Work Permit was issued at the POE. And certainly if it was issued at Vegreville.
1. It would appear that the OP falls into the following situation. S/he had a work permit that was previously issued and no ETA was issued at the time. The LOI will have the ETA no. on it.
2. The following from CIC explains it. I already have a study or work permit, do I need to apply for an eTA?

I already have a study or work permit, do I need to apply for an eTA?

If you are a student or foreign worker already in Canada on a valid study and work permit, you will not need an eTA as long as you do not leave Canada and seek to return by air.
If you plan to leave and then return to Canada by air, you will need to get an eTA.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. It would appear that the OP falls into the following situation. S/he had a work permit that was previously issued and no ETA was issued at the time. The LOI will have the ETA no. on it.
2. The following from CIC explains it. I already have a study or work permit, do I need to apply for an eTA?

I already have a study or work permit, do I need to apply for an eTA?

If you are a student or foreign worker already in Canada on a valid study and work permit, you will not need an eTA as long as you do not leave Canada and seek to return by air.
If you plan to leave and then return to Canada by air, you will need to get an eTA.

I think I've been quite clear, and was confirmed by the CBSA in vancouver... my partner did have a ETA issued as part of his permit.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadianInGasgow
I think I've been quite clear, and was confirmed by the CBSA in vancouver... my partner did have a ETA issued as part of his permit.
But then he left Canada and attempted to return by air.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

CanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianInGasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
But then he left Canada and attempted to return by air.
with a valid permit and eta, the eta last 5yrs ??? are suggesting that every time he flys he needs to apply for eta ?

the quote from the website applies to people who have permits before they were issued including the eta

Last edited by CanadianInGasgow; Jan 9th 2017 at 9:14 am.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

with a valid permit and eta, the eta last 5yrs ??? are suggesting that every time he flys he needs to apply for eta ?
Please re-read post 31.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Please re-read post 31.
don't disagree that it is prudent to check. I'm simply highlighting that my partner was not in the wrong as implied by previous posts. He had a valid ETA that was issued with his visa, yet this was not accepted in manila.
You guys keep quoting the website "if you have a permit you still need an eta" however completely missing the point that this only applies to permits issued without etas

I'm sorry but I'm unclear why highlighting this issue has turned into posters trying to prove we were in the wrong ?
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:38 am
Born again atheist

don't disagree that it is prudent to check. I'm simply highlighting that my partner was not in the wrong as implied by previous posts. He had a valid ETA that was issued with his visa, yet this was not accepted in manila.
You guys keep quoting the website "if you have a permit you still need an eta" however completely missing the point that this only applies to permits issued without etas

I'm sorry but I'm unclear why highlighting this issue has turned into posters trying to prove we were in the wrong ?
Sorry. I meant post 32.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Sorry. I meant post 32.
again, only applies if you weren't issued an eta as part of your permit to begin with.

Recent permits are issued with ETAs, ETAs last 5yrs. Therefore no need to apply for another ETA. (unless you get a new passport)

Last edited by CanadianInGasgow; Jan 9th 2017 at 9:43 am.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:33 am
Born again atheist

again, only applies if you weren't issued an eta as part of your permit to begin with.

Recent permits are issued with ETAs, ETAs last 5yrs. Therefore no need to apply for another ETA. (unless you get a new passport)
Or leave Canada. And return buy air.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Or leave Canada. And return buy air.
you don't need a new eta every time you fly
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:39 am
Born again atheist

you don't need a new eta every time you fly
Ok you know best. Where is Gasgow anyway?
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

If I'm wrong tell me so.... where does it say he needs a new eta every time....honestly I'm interested, wouldn't want him to get jammed up if he needs to apply everytime he gets on a plane. Could you send me the link ?

sorry I'm dyslexic and wasn't concentrating when i was signing up for the site, and now i can't change it. Was supposed to be Glasgow..... but you knew that anyway didn't ya. Do you make fun of all disabilities or just some ?

Last edited by CanadianInGasgow; Jan 9th 2017 at 10:44 am.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Says the man that wrote 'return buy air'.

I think we've established that the OP's partner should have checked his ETA status prior to trying to fly, and that it was the airline's error and not CIC's (now that we know his IEC was issued after 2015, which wasn't clear from the first few posts). Not sure what else can be added tbh, but let's keep the squabbling away from the immi forum please.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning,

we are about 1 week away from getting on the plane to Toronto. I checked briefly about requiring an ETA and it said that I did not need to apply. Just to be sure I will ask the question here to be safe.

We are a family of 5. Myself travelling on a LMIA to get my work permit when I arrive and my Wife and three kids will travel with me. We will be travelling on Irish passports.
Do any of us need ETA's?

Regards

Farmboy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.