Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

** New occupations added to Expedited LMO Pilot Project

** New occupations added to Expedited LMO Pilot Project

Old Jan 26th 2008, 5:40 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up ** New occupations added to Expedited LMO Pilot Project

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaces...lmoppone.shtml
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Great Dane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ** New occupations added to Expedited LMO Pilot Project

Is the labour market really under so much pressure that employers can't find Canadians to fill occupations like

- delivery drivers
- Food and Beverage Servers
- Retail Salespersons and Sales Clerks

just to name a few ..

Sounds like any "average Joe" can obtain a Canadian work permit these days.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice

These occupations are added because there is a severe shortage in these provinces,in these occupations.25 years and still learning, my wife 25 years,our children 4years, and a very hard working family.Non of us have Bachelor Degrees and if that makes us 'average joes' were proud of it. Mark and family
Old Jan 26th 2008, 4:08 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Great Dane
Is the labour market really under so much pressure that employers can't find Canadians to fill occupations like

- delivery drivers

just to name a few ..

You have to remember, that by allowing Work Permits for these jobs (usually minimum wage) that it helps the employer by keeping down wages. Higher wages, you attract locals who will do the job. An example a butcher in a unionized meat packing plant in 1970 was paid $3.57 per hour. That same job in one of the large hog plants in Alberta is now $14.00 per hour. To give some context, the Federal Meat Inspector in that plant was paid $3.65 per hour, today the rate is $26.18 per hour.

Same as the Live in Caregiver program, where the salary is 1200/month gross before taxes, so very few Canadian residents would take that job. But for overseas applicants who couldn't qualify as skilled workers, after 2 years can apply for PR status. So the old carrot and stick, work at an under appreciated job and in due time you may be rewarded.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:58 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

- delivery drivers

just to name a few ..
Yes.

The Expedited Labour Market Pilot Project is not applicable to the whole of Canada. It is applicable only to Alberta and British Columbia.

Because of the energy boom, Alberta is experiencing a mild form of the "gold rush" phenomenon. That is, people are pouring into the province so quickly that it's hard to keep up with the expansion of the infrastructure that would be needed to serve them adequately.

The oil companies and oil services companies can afford to pay better than anyone else, and they siphon off workers from other industries. Hence employers in the retail sector, in the hospitality sector, etc., have a devil of a job retaining employees.

The staff turnover rate is incredible. Many restaurants in Calgary have reduced their operating hours because they simply cannot find enough staff to operate the establishment for the same number of hours as before. In many fast food restaurants they can only serve the customers in the drive-through lane or inside the restaurant, but not both simultaneously.

Last winter, the City of Calgary's performance was utterly abysmal when it came to the clearing of snow off major traffic routes. I heard they just couldn't find enough workers to operate the sanding trucks and snow clearing equipment. Their performance has been somewhat better this winter, so far.

A few months ago we bought a washing machine from Sears. We found that the waiting time for delivery was longer than we were used to, and there was a smaller selection of time slots available for delivery. The manager of the delivery department told my husband that they just could not find enough drivers to maintain the delivery service that they had provided in the past.

The situation is what it is.

Postscript. I want to add that I frequently make the effort to warn newcomers to this forum about Alberta. There are some occupations in which the pay is high enough to make up for the rise in real estate prices that we've seen in the last three years. The oil industry and the skilled trades are areas that pay well, and there are a few others. Yet there are many fields in which there are plenty of jobs available but in which the pay is not good enough to compensate for the high cost of accommodation. Half the people in Calgary's homeless shelters have employment of some kind. A husband and wife who both have relatively low skills each have to hold down two jobs in order to keep a roof over their family's head. Some people describe Alberta as some sort of Shangri-La. It is -- if you earn enough.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Jan 26th 2008 at 8:04 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks for clarifying Judy. Surely this crunch must inflate wages in unskilled jobs as well ?

Anyone know if these businesses (for instance FedEx looking for drivers) are interested in hiring non-Canucks who want to come over on a work permit ?
Or would they consider it too big of a hassel timewise ?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only one getting an impression, that Canada needs not skilled, but rather slave labor?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

Happy_Feet will become famous soon enough

- delivery drivers

just to name a few ..

Well we think having "average joe" being able to obtain a wp is a good thing

Anybody should have the opportunity to move for a better life, regardless of qualifications and lifes circumstances

Last edited by Happy_Feet; Jan 27th 2008 at 6:26 am. Reason: Heck, need to type slower to avoid spelling mistakes, that's my excuse :)
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Sorry if my "average Joe" comment offended some you. Wasn't my intention. If anything I probably fit the description pretty well myself

I just want to know if those employers looking for workers to fill these unskilled jobs are willing to go through the hassels of hiring a non-Canadian ?

Will they even issue a WP for a $10.00-12.00/hr job ? Is it even feasable to survive on that if living in a big city ?

Last edited by Great Dane; Jan 27th 2008 at 6:41 am.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Sorry if my "average Joe" comment offended some you. Wasn't my intention. If anything I probably fit the description pretty well myself

I just want to know if those employers looking for workers to fill these unskilled jobs are willing to go through the hassels of hiring a non-Canadian ?

Will they even issue a WP for a $10.00-12.00/hr job ? Is it even feasable to survive on that if living in a big city ?

Ahhhhh another average joe then, thats ok

Hope you get an answer to your question...
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:15 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've seen on this forum, no.

Will they even issue a WP for a $10.00-12.00/hr job ?
I don't know. My guess is that they would, if the employer could be arsed to apply for a Labour Market Opinion.

Is it even feasable to survive on that if living in a big city ?
No. Please see the Postscript in post #5 of this thread.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

It would appear the truck companies are about the only ones activly looking for UK workers, is this about right?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:40 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by Happy_Feet
It would appear the truck companies are about the only ones activly looking for UK workers, is this about right?
The Edmonton and Calgary Police Services are actively looking for UK workers, as far as I know.

If they are not actively looking for UK workers, Alberta hospitals certainly welcome British nurses with open arms.

Engineering, procurement and construction companies in Alberta sometimes actively recruit engineers from the UK.

Those are the ones that I know about, off the top of my head.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:43 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
The Edmonton and Calgary Police Services are actively looking for UK workers, as far as I know.

If they are not actively looking for UK workers, Alberta hospitals certainly welcome British nurses with open arms.

Engineering, procurement and construction companies in Alberta sometimes actively recruit engineers from the UK.

Those are the ones that I know about, off the top of my head.
Restaurants, Hotels, are getting LMOs, but they are usually hiring in Asia, where $12.00/hour looks pretty good. Especially if the workers don't realize what the cost of living is in Canada.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

thanks the answers guys, are the new occupations added to Expedited LMO Pilot Project only every going to be on a temp worker basis or can they lead to permanent residency visa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.