Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

** `Phantom' residents to lose status **

** `Phantom' residents to lose status **

Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ** `Phantom' residents to lose status **

Why is this news worthy? I have no problem at all with phantom residents and their families being kicked out...I'm not really sure why this is news as hasn't that always basically been the law, even before the PR card?

I would rather have seen media attention focussed on the ridiculous processing times that it now takes for those that do want to make canada a permanent home.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Why is this news worthy? I have no problem at all with phantom residents and their families being kicked out..
If they're not in Canada in the first place then how can they be "kicked out"?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Why is this news worthy? I have no problem at all with phantom residents and their families being kicked out...I'm not really sure why this is news as hasn't that always basically been the law, even before the PR card?

I would rather have seen media attention focussed on the ridiculous processing times that it now takes for those that do want to make canada a permanent home.

It's probably clogged with people like that lot who are after the same sort of thing. I'd have it that you have a year to take up your visa after it's issued and then you have to settle in Canada or lose your PR unless you're being sent abroad by a Canadian company to work for them (or you have to go home for a bit to look after sick or dying family). I don't see how anything else could be described as trying to settle, integrate and contribute to the country and the whole point of the skilled worker application is that it's supposed to be a mutual benefit for applicant and country (whether the law states this or not, and if not it should)
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:20 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If they're not in Canada in the first place then how can they be "kicked out"?
The family is in Canada. Presumably these neardowells return to visit them occasionally, just not long enough to keep 2 years out of 5 in Canada.

Im not sure whether its stricktly fair to kick the family out, after all they might be integrating...but I guess it comes down to intent. If one party is working overseas long term, that casts doubt in the intention of everyone in the group I suppose.

Its high time there was an overhaul of the entire system to make it more market and employment driven, and FASTER. As it is, if you ask me the whole skilled worker thing has become something of a bad joke.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 15th 2007 at 4:42 am.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The family is in Canada.

Im not sure whether its stricktly fair to kick the family out,
If the family is in Canada with PR then they cannot be "kicked out". As has been made clear on this forum many times, once they have landed in Canada, spouses hold PR independently.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by JAJ
If the family is in Canada with PR then they cannot be "kicked out". As has been made clear on this forum many times, once they have landed in Canada, spouses hold PR independently.
Thats the current law anyway Just as well I'm not in charge eh!
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

well i think it is news worthy. it helps to Get it out there..of what the repurcussions are IF you dont' follow the regulations to maintain your PR and thus .you lose it.

If it gets out there more like this..and increases the awareness of those .who have no real intent on being in Canada for X amount of time to maintain there PR maybe they wont' apply in the first place...well a small percentage at least..and then that will maybe cut back time spent on applicants who ..just want to *give it a go*

numerous times we have seen people come here to this very site....wanting to find some loop hole in how they can keep their PR even tho they haven't done the maintenace days in Canada. some people think they can get away with anything and then cry..boo hoo me..i didnt' know! or some other ridiculous notion.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:20 am
Just Joined

balaq8 is an unknown quantity at this point

The following valid points are expressed by somebody in another forum:

I will not blame the gulf people.
Has any research been done on IT people in the USA who take the PR card and land and then go back to the USA or the people who land in Windsor and work in Detroit or the IT people who land in Canada , work for 3 years,and then go south of the border. How much is this costing the economy. Maybe the people who take up the PR card but donot eventually come here may not cost the economy much but what about the legitimate people who were blocked/ pushed to the waiting line and who could not come to Canada immediately? Isn't Canada losing its income.

Of course there are people from other nationalities (africans, Carribians, South Americans, Middle eastern people, People from Refugee lands like Sri Lankans, Somalia) who stay in Canada who exploit this country big time . I wonder how the reporter Nicholas Keung was not able to do an article on them. The people that I mentioned are the ones who mostly tell very big lies to exploit the govt. None of the desi gulfies ever tell lies / exploit to this extent
IMO, People would come and settle in Canada, if the Canadian job market recogonised the skills of the immigrants. If it did not, why the hell would a gulfi with a solid job in the gulf ever want to settle here and do a labour job.

If Canada expects that the people who come here should have a min. passing mark , then what is wrong with a gulfi excersicing his options?

Most of the gulfi's that I know fall under this general catagory :
1. Applicant and or spouse work in the gulf
2. Children study here
3. Once a year, either of flys to the other for vacation
4. Applicant and or spouse send money to children / spouse in Canada
5. GST/HST is claimed.
6. In the cases that I have seen, none of the parents claim that they are single and exploit the govt..

Until Canada addresses the issue of immigration (i.e creating good/decent jobs, recognizing foreign skills), this problem is going to be there. Let's face it this way. There is no point in blaming the immigrants.

People are following the rules when they apply for immigration and facing the "punishment" of loss of status if they do not fulfill the requirements. Nobody is causing the hindrance for others. It is a human nature to have the desire for more options - whether you use them or not - and that's what these people are doing.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:23 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

What the hell is a "gulfi"?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
What the hell is a "gulfi"?
Yeah, exactly??? Weird or what.

I don't want to gloat, but I'm glad I'm a Canadian already

B
Old Oct 15th 2007, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahem!

The Gulfies make up less than 19% of the Arab population.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 1:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by roxye3
Ahem!

The Gulfies make up less than 19% of the Arab population.
Most applicants from the Gulf states are not citizens of those countries, but instead are non-citizens working there on temporary permits.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:30 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most applicants from the Gulf states are not citizens of those countries, but instead are non-citizens working there on temporary permits.
Where does this information come from?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:44 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Where does this information come from?
I don't know if CIC make a distinction in their statistics between country of last residence vs nationality. But it's well understood that in places like Kuwait, citizens are in a minority compared to long term non-citizen residents, and the latter groups are more inclined to want to migrate to Canada/elsewhere.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by balaq8

Until Canada addresses the issue of immigration (i.e creating good/decent jobs, recognizing foreign skills), this problem is going to be there. Let's face it this way. There is no point in blaming the immigrants.
Fair point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.