Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

***FSW - OCCUPATION LIST TO BE ANNOUNCED IN APRIL***

***FSW - OCCUPATION LIST TO BE ANNOUNCED IN APRIL***

Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ***FSW - OCCUPATION LIST TO BE ANNOUNCED IN APRIL***

Originally Posted by petal39
I admire your determination, but if your occupation doesn't appear on the new FSW visa list due out in April, how will you ever be able to work in Canada - apart from a working holiday depending on your age?

No company can offer you a job unless your occupation is on the FSW list, or they can prove there is not a Canadian who can do the job which necessitates them to apply to their state government for a labour market opinion (LMO) process.

I'm just not sure what good actually going over and meeting companies/organisations will do unless you fit an occupation on the new list? Unless i'm missing something??
Yep, you are! I'm not sure why you think the FSW list has anything to do with job offers? If somebody has experience in a job on the new list then they don't need a job offer to get PR at all.

And if somebody can get a job offer, then they can use that to get PR via one of the many other visa routes available, such as FSW Cat 2 (anybody with a job offer that is 'skilled' - even if its not on the list), PNP (no need for a LMO), or going over on a Temp Work Permit then applying for PR after a year via the Canadian Experience Class (again, no list and no need for LMO).

You seem to be confusing the FSW list of occupations with all visa routes, but it's only 1 route to PR out of over 50, so has no bearing on any of the other 49+ options!
Old Mar 13th 2013, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

sss84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for some clarification Christmas, much appreciated.

Everyone helping each other.

Regards

SSS
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

JonathanHarman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all.

I have been waiting about 5 years for things to change regarding the "list". Finally thought i had the opportunity to get myself and my family over there.

I'm not worried about the money aspect cos the company that's doing my application offers a full refund if the list changes and i'm not on it. I would just rather be prepared and be able to submit my application on the first day instead of starting it all when the "list" comes out and then getting everything done late.

I still think that it's gonna go by the skills set 0 A and B. Most people shouldn't really be worried cos i read somewhere a few weeks ago that Canada needs 1million skilled people over the next 5 years.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 11:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonathanHarman
I still think that it's gonna go by the skills set 0 A and B.
Well, yes, because only those who have jobs in Level A, O or B are considered 'skilled' workers. Skill Levels C & D are semi-skilled or low skilled, so wouldn't be eligible for the FSW program anyway.

But it won't be for all occupations in those skill sets, as that's thousands of them - as the recent announcement has shown, there will be a list of eligible occupations. Given the past lists, it will probably only be a max of 50 eligible jobs.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Well, yes, because only those who have jobs in Level A, O or B are considered 'skilled' workers. Skill Levels C & D are semi-skilled or low skilled, so wouldn't be eligible for the FSW program anyway.

But it won't be for all occupations in those skill sets, as that's thousands of them - as the recent announcement has shown, there will be a list of eligible occupations. Given the past lists, it will probably only be a max of 50 eligible jobs.

I think not announcing the list of eligible occupations until April gives candidates a ridiculously short amount of time to prepare their application.

It's alright Kenney saying that applicants making preparations now do so at their own risk, but I don't see people have much choice if they want to get within the cap.

Option A) Don't spend money preparing IELTS and work/education documents etc. Then if you're not on the list it's not money wasted, but if you are on the list could be a mad rush preparing all this to have a chance of making it within th ecap

Option B) Do spend time and money preparing application documents. Then you're ready if your occupation is on the list, but if it's not on the list it's time and money wasted.

Looks like something of a no-win scenario!

Wayne.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The thing is that IELTS is valid for 2 years now anyway, so even if somebody pays to get it and then isn't eligible for FSW, they'd be able to use it for another visa route. The only thing that can't be reused as easily is police certs, but they can be got within a week.

The main issue though will be the credential assessment, but I guess at least everybody will be in the same boat and all have the same limited amount of time to get it done.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Waggle
I think not announcing the list of eligible occupations until April gives candidates a ridiculously short amount of time to prepare their application.

It's alright Kenney saying that applicants making preparations now do so at their own risk, but I don't see people have much choice if they want to get within the cap.

Option A) Don't spend money preparing IELTS and work/education documents etc. Then if you're not on the list it's not money wasted, but if you are on the list could be a mad rush preparing all this to have a chance of making it within th ecap

Option B) Do spend time and money preparing application documents. Then you're ready if your occupation is on the list, but if it's not on the list it's time and money wasted.

Looks like something of a no-win scenario!

Wayne.
Agreed. It's a horse-**** situation. I'm in for about a £1,000 so far with less than no guarantees.

I want it badly though so I'm prepared to take that risk and then re-evaluate (or go mental) if the occupation list doesn't go my way (which is likely).

Perhaps the only comfort is that you (we) are not alone (very Star Trek of me).

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 19th 2013 at 6:00 pm. Reason: Stars added - family forum and all that!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths
Agreed. It's a horse-sh*t situation. I'm in for about a £1,000 so far with less than no guarantees.

I want it badly though so I'm prepared to take that risk and then re-evaluate (or go mental) if the occupation list doesn't go my way (which is likely).

Perhaps the only comfort is that you (we) are not alone (very Star Trek of me).

Well one option is to try the new FSWP route, and if you find you do not have work experience on their priority occupation list, then look at securing a job offer and going FSW2 (where you'll still need all the supporting documentation anyway).

Wayne.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths
I'm in for about a £1,000 so far with less than no guarantees.
£1000?!? I hate to ask, but what on earth on? I'm really hoping that the company you have hired to 'do your application' (I use that term in the loosest possible sense obviously, seeing as they appear to be doing none of the usual work a consultant does for you in exchange for a fee) wouldn't charge you a full fee if your job isn't on the list?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
£1000?!? I hate to ask, but what on earth on? I'm really hoping that the company you have hired to 'do your application' (I use that term in the loosest possible sense obviously, seeing as they appear to be doing none of the usual work a consultant does for you in exchange for a fee) wouldn't charge you a full fee if your job isn't on the list?
£1000 in total. About £700 of this is legal fees so far. Other fees include consultations and IELTS exams etc. I asked if they would refund if my job wasn't on the list but they pointed out that that's beyond their control and, therefore, if I chose to engage them prior to a list being published legal fees up to that date would be non-refundable.

I was comfortable with that but they really don't seem to be doing much else to support my application. They have confirmed to me though that the amount I've paid so far is all I would be charged if my occupation is not on the list.

What annoys me most is the announcement of a demand list happened 1 day after I engaged them. If I'd taken one extra day I'd have never have got involved. And all of this is after me doing plenty of research.

It's not the money that aggravates me so much as the fact that I feel no more confident that I can achieve this using my representation than I could have on my own. They don't take the time to understand your circumstances and seem to have a one size fits all approach. I would have expected them to take the lead on assessing what info I can provide and then making it work somehow but it doesn't seem like that at all. Mind you, the way all these representatives work you have to take leap of faith anyway as they all keep their card very close to their chest as far as I can tell..
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Agreed, they do all do that. I can understand (having worked for an immigration consultant for several years), as you'd be amazed the amount of people that just take the micky and want free advice. They'll ask detailed questions that require half an hour of research and then chatting with them about the answer, but seem to expect the time for free. I used to spend a lot of time on timewasters that clearly had no intention of using our services, and eventually we did have to get more ruthless unfortunately.

It's a shame as it's the genuine people that suffer, but folks always want something for free!

I hope your occupation is on the list and the fees aren't completely wasted. Presumably you can cancel and get the rest of your money back if so? At least that way you could finish the rest yourself (although you seem to be doing it yourself anyway from what you've said!) and save the money.

for you.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Good afternoon all (location dependant).

Just been reading people's posts and the obvious concerns they have, as do I, regarding occupation list etc. What I am doing as previously mentioned is having a plan B as such (not sure if it will work), of finding employment and being offered a job in Canada.

Looking at this closer to home there are WorkingIn events happening all over the UK and Ireland with prospective employers and immigration help areas for all queries.

I am attending one this weekend in Manchester and it cost £17.50 for the ticket. I don't expect to leave the expo with a job offer but maybe more enlightened as to the industry out there and the prospects for international recruits.

In addition, I have drafted the FSW form and will complete should the list have my occupation, until then it's a waste of time planning it further for me as its a gamble. However, I'm hoping that my plan B is a valid plan (correct me if not) and that I can dig deeper with this to reach my goal.

Thanks for your time guys and good luck.

Kind regard

SSS
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:44 am
Just Joined

petal39 is an unknown quantity at this point

SSS84 - i saw this and thought of you - you may already know about the event for construction job interviews in Canada with PCL, but just in case:

http://sgmcgroup.newsweaver.ie/ivgwb...=11&p=33483495

Christmasoompa - i would be interested to find out more about this FSW2 list - can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

SSS84 - i saw this and thought of you - you may already know about the event for construction job interviews in Canada with PCL, but just in case:

http://sgmcgroup.newsweaver.ie/ivgwb...=11&p=33483495

Christmasoompa - i would be interested to find out more about this FSW2 list - can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Thanks Petal. Hope your well. Have registered my details with PCL and have a contact with them. I'm hoping to build up a few contacts with a view to arranging meetings with them when out there.

Thanks again

Kind regard

SSS
Old Mar 20th 2013, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean the jobs that are eligible to apply as FSW with a job offer? Because that's anything that is 'skilled' i.e. NOC Level A, O or B on the Matrix. There isn't a list of those occupations, because it's literally thousands of them!

But if I've misunderstood what list you're referring to then shout and hopefully I can try and help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.