Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

*** Immigration reform: inspired by Aussies?

*** Immigration reform: inspired by Aussies?

Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:29 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Question *** Immigration reform: inspired by Aussies?

http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/...html?id=597231

"The Harper government's controversial immigration proposals passed into law yesterday but the hard work aimed at reducing the backlog of 925,000 applications, and streamlining Canada's migration program, has just begun.

The next step is to drag the system into the 21st century by finding out exactly who has applied to come to Canada. Remarkably, the federal government has no idea what skills the people in line have to offer and only the faintest inkling what skills the country needs to satisfy current shortages.

To address these shortcomings, the government will now spend $100-million leafing through the dusty pile of applications on hand to code them according to occupation. In the meantime, Diane Finley, the Minister for Citizenship and Immigration, will visit the provinces and ask them about their job-vacancy situation.
"

It the idea is to manually comb through about a million applications just to determine what skills are represented before making next move and issue Instructions then:

- we'll wait longer that a while for new rules; and

- further delays in processing of backlog as result
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: *** Immigration reform: inspired by Aussies?

Thanks for that link Andrew..
I have to admit to being a bit surprised that they need to spend $100 million to go through all the applications to identify them according to occupation...
I know absolutely nothing about what the Visa Offices do when they recieve the applications but I am surprised that they do not even enter some of the specifics like the NOC codes etc onto some sort of database
But as you so rightly put it, this is only going to delay the processing of the backlog unless this additional funding is going to be used to employ some additional people to start going through the "dusty piles"
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future

Oh Just wonderful!

Thanks for the heads up Andrew.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:47 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

The visa offices have simply been stockpiling new SW applications and only begin screening them at some later "start" date. Until that time only names, DOBs etc are entered into their computer files and the file number issued (so they can be put away and found again later!)
This is a relatively new process caused by limits to resources and shortsighted responses to the resulting scarcity of capacity. Formerly, new files would have been distributed to officers who would "paper" screen them according to the selection criteria and assign NOC codes etc. As a result they have no idea what is in their back log beyond its size and location.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Tim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of lightTim Steer is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for clarifying that Jim...What a shame that its all got in such a pickle..

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
The visa offices have simply been stockpiling new SW applications and only begin screening them at some later "start" date. Until that time only names, DOBs etc are entered into their computer files and the file number issued (so they can be put away and found again later!)
This is a relatively new process caused by limits to resources and shortsighted responses to the resulting scarcity of capacity. Formerly, new files would have been distributed to officers who would "paper" screen them according to the selection criteria and assign NOC codes etc. As a result they have no idea what is in their back log beyond its size and location.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tim Steer
Thanks for that link Andrew..
I have to admit to being a bit surprised that they need to spend $100 million to go through all the applications to identify them according to occupation...
I know absolutely nothing about what the Visa Offices do when they recieve the applications but I am surprised that they do not even enter some of the specifics like the NOC codes etc onto some sort of database
But as you so rightly put it, this is only going to delay the processing of the backlog unless this additional funding is going to be used to employ some additional people to start going through the "dusty piles"
That's exactly what I was thinking as I read Andrew's post. An extra minute spent capturing NOCs at the time applications were received would have allowed them to analyse the entire backlog in minutes. How unfortunate.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Well to be totally honest I had understood from a post I had read previously on here that they had recorded all the NOC's (especially as it asked for on the schedule 3 application form). Therefore, when it came to reviewing the applications in the backlog against the new occupations in demand lists then it would be a piece of cake....but obviously not:curse:
Whilst being frustrated about it all I suppose we have to take reassurance in the fact that the system is going to be improved...
I am just surprised that it is going to cost $100 million to go through a load of old paperwork and hopefully enter the data into a glorified spreadsheet / database..
Lets just hope that they will be taking on extra resource to do this and not taking the valuable visa officers away from processing whatever applications they can
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:11 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

On one hand, I applaud CIC for making moves to improve the system. On the other, it's dire for all the applicants who have already applied & are now watching as the goal posts are moved.
So now there is the possibilty they are going to dredge through the backlog to establish people's NOC codes. Some of this information could be years out of date! Especially for someone who applied under the simplified process.
I for one will be watching how this pans out with a sense of fascinated dread
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Surely it would be easier for CIC to send out a bulk mailing to all in the backlog advising them to respond with their file reference, if their occupation is X.

I imagine people in the queue would be quite happy to do their bit if it meant getting the whole mess moving again.

I for one would rather the officers and staff spent their time processing applications than making lists of NOC codes, or filtering through occupation lists.

Only a thought.

Cheers
Tom
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I can see where you are coming from Tom, but they do actually have all the information already (I am not sure about the simplified applications but defintely for the full applications the NOC code is detailed on one of the forms).
I guess if they did send a letter to everybody asking them to reply if there occupation was X then they would end up with a load of letters back that they would need to process and there would probably be a fair amount of letters from people who didn't have occupations of X asking loads of questions...
Then in a month or however long, when occupation x changes to occupation Y they would have to do the same again as I am sure the occupations lists will change over time...
They have all the data they need so they will hopefully take on some extra people to go through the applications and get it all recorded in a database that can be easily interrogated and searched against whatever is required...

Whatever they do, lets hope they do it quick and it doesn't impact the work of the current Visa Officers...
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tim Steer
I can see where you are coming from Tom, but they do actually have all the information already (I am not sure about the simplified applications but defintely for the full applications the NOC code is detailed on one of the forms).
I guess if they did send a letter to everybody asking them to reply if there occupation was X then they would end up with a load of letters back that they would need to process and there would probably be a fair amount of letters from people who didn't have occupations of X asking loads of questions...
Then in a month or however long, when occupation x changes to occupation Y they would have to do the same again as I am sure the occupations lists will change over time...
They have all the data they need so they will hopefully take on some extra people to go through the applications and get it all recorded in a database that can be easily interrogated and searched against whatever is required...

Whatever they do, lets hope they do it quick and it doesn't impact the work of the current Visa Officers...
All fair points.

What happens if they get through a years worth and the budget is cut?

Given that the immigration process is supposed to be self financing is that $100 million going to come from increased fees?

Cheers
Tom
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:21 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

I think the $100 million price tag is a message to Treasury Board about resource shortfalls and unintended consequences. The CIC is resourced to deliver about 250 thousand new immigrants per year but, without some control of the application intake, they can and did become swamped to the detriment of program delivery and reputation.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

I'm confused. Every official source I have read concerning the changes states very clearly that the new rules will only apply to applications made on or after 28th Feb 2008 and that applications received prior to that date will be dealt with under the old rules ie all processed in the order they were received. If that is the case why do they need to spend any money going through the backlog and recording the NOC codes?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:03 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauder99
Given that the immigration process is supposed to be self financing is that $100 million going to come from increased fees?
I recall a post in which Andrew Miller stated that the application fees that migrants paid were a drop in the bucket compared with the cost of admitting an immigrant to Canada and assisting that person and his/her family members to intergrate into Canada.

In that post Andrew quoted government statistics, and I remember being surprised at the numbers.

Unfortunately, as BE's search function is not working very effectively for me at the moment, I have not found the post in question. If I was really committed to finding the answer, I'd scroll through past threads manually. However, I'm not that committed.
x
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Judy

I remember the post and I understand that the system is not self financing but it is the aim, therefore it might be logical to assume that a fee increase is likely.

Cheers
Tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.