Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

*** IELTS and/or TEF likely soon a must for everyone ***

Wikiposts

*** IELTS and/or TEF likely soon a must for everyone ***

Old May 5th 2008, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: *** IELTS and/or TEF likely soon a must for everyone ***

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Where and when I said such thing? IRPA delegates all selection criteria (language including) to Regulations. Minister may change/amend Regulations at any given time by tabling and publishing them in Canada Gazette - no voting in Parliament needed.

And of course - if Minister introduces something lime minimum threshold for language proficiency it will be published.
Do IRPA have minimum threshold for language proficiency now? Because in the existing skilled workers class migration, no minimum threshold requirement.

Similiar with passing mark, does the threshold for language proficiency also suit for all applicants retroactively?

Thank you
Old May 5th 2008, 2:45 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Stop asking now please, I just can't teach you basics when you are not learning for some reason. Get back to your learning process, read the law (IRPA and Regulations) and all my answers to your questions.
Old May 5th 2008, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

immigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the roughimmigrants is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Stop asking now please, I just can't teach you basics when you are not learning for some reason. Get back to your learning process, read the law (IRPA and Regulations) and all my answers to your questions.
I don't think much of the poster here can fully understanding whole IRPA and even my friend migrated to Canada.

And the most irony of the fact is, my IRPA understanding is much more than my Canadian Citizenship friends

So that I want to say, I'll say thanks for you help me, but if you don't want to help me, just ignore my questions simply instead of blame me and I think may be 50% of poster here never heard that what is IRPA
Old May 5th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect, you Canadian Citizen friends don't need to know. You are the one trying to emigrate, you are the one who needs to do the research. If it all goes wrong, you are the one who will lose out.
Old May 5th 2008, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
With all due respect, you Canadian Citizen friends don't need to know. You are the one trying to emigrate, you are the one who needs to do the research. If it all goes wrong, you are the one who will lose out.
My friend not born in Canada, he also migrate to Canada several years ago.
My meaning is, I don't think most of the potential migrants familiar with IRPA.
Old May 5th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to Andrew for the info, but argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What on earth will they think of next?

In many ways it makes sense to have a minimum proficiency in either English or French so that new immigrants can make an as immediate as possible contribution to Canada. But I just don't see how imposing the IELTS on everyone is going to improve matters, apart from increasing the revenue from the IELTS. Surely the current system adequately classifies the language ability of the vast majority of Skilled Worker applicants.

Does anyone have any idea of the areas where a native language speaker could loose valuable points? I presume that anyone working in Canada already would have to take the test locally rather than in the UK. No disrespect to Canadians, but the are enough subtle differences between the ways that we speak English that this could soon become a nightmare. My 12 year old son is picking up some phrases that make me cringe. Such as "My Bad" whenever he makes an honest mistake.