Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

*** Canadian Experience Class update ***

*** Canadian Experience Class update ***

Old Aug 12th 2008, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

timu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: *** Canadian Experience Class update ***

Andrew, i thought the consultation is open to public so I emailed Heidi Smith a few questions of mine but i don't see her answering me...
What more suggestions would you provide to CIC?
thanks.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Eckhart1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can read them if you really really wanted to at:

http://canadagazette.gc.ca look for Part I from a few days ago.

Originally Posted by Tarik
Where can I read proposed regulations?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:21 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think there is much chance that an interview will be conducted for CEC applicants given their special qualifications. At least that must be CIC's view.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

timu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the roughtimu12 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
I do not think there is much chance that an interview will be conducted for CEC applicants given their special qualifications. At least that must be CIC's view.
I certainly hope that is True.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Default *** Canadian Experience Class update ***

The Canadian Experience Class
Proposed minimum requirements for graduates with canadian work experience
Under the proposed changes, graduates of a Canadian post-secondary educational institution with Canadian work experience would need to meet the following minimum requirements:

temporary resident status in Canada at the time of their application;
successful completion of a program of study of at least two academic years*;
one year of skilled, professional or technical work experience; and
moderate or basic language skills, depending on occupational skill level.
* Note: an academic year means eight months of study.

Requirements would be based on a pass or fail model. That is, if the minimum requirements were met, the applicant would be eligible. There would be no point system as with the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

Education
Under the proposed changes, the applicant would have to be a graduate of:

a Canadian public post-secondary educational institution, such as an accredited college or a university; or
a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial law to grant degrees.
The applicant would have to graduate from a program of study lasting at least two years—OR—in the case of a one-year master’s or certificate program, previous education prior to admission into the one-year program must have been completed in Canada for a total of two years of Canadian post-secondary education.

Work Experience
Under the proposed changes, applicants would be required to accumulate at least one year of work experience at Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).

For graduates to meet the requirement for work experience, they could apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit after graduation. These work permits may be valid for up to three years with no restrictions on the location or the type of work they can do. To ensure that they are eligible to stay permanently under the Canadian Experience Class, at least one year of work experience under the three-year permit would need to be at Skill Type 0, or Skill Level A or B under the NOC. The work experience would need to be obtained within two years of the application.

Language Abilities
Applicants with managerial or professional experience (Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A) would have to demonstrate moderate skills in either English or French. If the work experience was classified at Skill Level B, applicants would have to prove basic language skills. Moderate language skills means the applicant can communicate comfortably in familiar social and work situations. Basic language skills means the applicant can communicate in predictable contexts and on familiar topics, but with some difficulty.

Who Would not Qualify
Applicants would not meet the minimum requirements if:

their work experience in Canada is not classified as 0, A or B under the NOC list; or
their work experience is less than one year; or
they have not demonstrated moderate or basic language skills, depending on their skill level; or
their Canadian post-secondary program of study was shorter than two academic years; or
in the case of a one-year master’s or certificate program, the sum of their Canadian education is less than two years; or
they do not have temporary resident status in Canada at the time of their application.
Applying
All applicants would have to have temporary resident status in Canada at the time of their application for the Canadian Experience Class. They would initiate their application by mailing it to CIC’s visa office in Buffalo, New York. This visa office is dedicated to temporary residents who have been in Canada for at least one year. If accepted, they could be granted permanent residence from within Canada at a local CIC office or at the closest border crossing.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

The proposed Canadian Experience Class
A skilled temporary foreign worker’s presence in Canada is often driven by an employer’s request to have a position staffed by someone outside of Canada when he/she is not able to find a Canadian to do the job. Employers invest in their workers; when workers leave Canada, so too does their investment. Foreign workers become familiar with their community. International students in Canada are likely to eventually obtain a Canadian post-secondary educational credential. During their time studying (and later on the job), they establish social networks and gain perspective on the Canadian job market.

Such skilled temporary foreign workers and graduates, make ideal candidates for permanent immigration. Their experience with Canadian society and knowledge of the Canadian labour market, combined with their language skills make them likely to do well as newcomers.

Currently, there is no immigration pathway that values experience in Canada as a key indicator of a newcomer’s likelihood to succeed. The existing federal Skilled Worker Program was designed for overseas immigration and therefore does not focus on experience gained in Canada. Skilled temporary foreign workers and graduates may not qualify to immigrate under it. The Canadian Experience Class would create a new avenue for economic immigration that would complement others such as the Federal Skilled Worker Program and the Provincial Nominee Program. For those already in Canada wishing to immigrate, the principal avenue would then become the Canadian Experience Class.

This proposed program would do more to retain those already here. International students and foreign workers would be more likely to choose Canada if they knew their experience here would help them stay should they eventually wish to apply to stay in Canada permanently.

The proposed change would have other benefits as well. Under these proposed changes, the Canadian Experience Class would go further to spread the benefits of immigration to parts of Canada that have not traditionally known its dividends. We know that skilled workers are most likely to settle in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver. Temporary foreign workers and students are located more broadly across Canada because they are driven by employer demand or the attraction of a specific college or university. Wherever the opportunities are, they follow. If a temporary foreign worker or student eventually decided to apply to stay permanently, he/she would be more inclined to stay where social and economic prospects have already been established and where he/she arrived initially as a temporary foreign worker or student.

Another significant benefit of the proposed change would be that Canada could see more diversity in the types of skills in its newcomers. The Canadian Experience Class has the potential to allow more skilled tradespersons, who often lack sufficient formal education to qualify in the federal Skilled Worker Program, to come to Canada permanently.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point

For graduates, is it one year full-time or could be part-time equivalent?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

sbhusan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
As per "http://canadagazette.gc.ca" the accepted language skill is either moderate or basic for NOC O/A or B respectively. If I'm right moderate means
total 28(7 each in reading,writing,listening and speaking) and that of 24(6*4) for basic. As there were much debate about keeping language ability as one of the qualifying criteria for CEC where applicants would have already proven their proficiency both socially and professionally after working almost 2 years or more. Is it almost certain that CEC applicants have to first appear IELTS and get 28/24 score according to their individual NOC then submit their application ? Even there were question about the IELTS exam pattern and its credibility for the immigration purpose. Also IELTS examination fee is almost double in Canada compared to US.

If any one knows how the CLB 6 translates to IELTS band,please let me know.

Thanks,
Sbhusan
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:45 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Start on page 18 here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/op/op06e.pdf
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

Default do i have 28 CLB

My IELTS score is 6.5,6.5,6.5 and 6 , am I qualified for the language of CEC??
Thanks Andrew!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:55 am

Default Re: do i have 28 CLB

Looks like you do. Providing that what is in proposed regulations in respect to language proficiency will remain intact in final regulations.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

I know you think the language requirement has been washed out bcuz its too low, am i rite?
In your opinion, moderate proficiency for potential immigrants is not sufficient enough for them to integrate into the Canadian society?
I am thinking to rewrite the IELTS for A. my original copy has been sent to Buffalo.B. I am allowed to have 1 copy of result which has been long gone.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:03 am

IMHO the current translation of IELTS scores into language proficiency points for PR application is far from perfect. I agree with 7.0 IELTS score as a threshold for high proficiency in any particular skill. But moderate skill definition used by CIC is too wide - IELTS score anywhere from 5.0 to 6.9 defines now a moderate proficiency. It is simply too wide. Person with 5.0 cannot really communicate in English in work or school environments, while person with 6.5 score is most of the time as efficient communicator as the one with 7.0 or even 7.5 score.

CIC use of a wide "moderate proficiency" (with 5.0 to 6.9 IELTS score) as eligibility requirement for CEC is what I don't really like - if person after graduating from 2 years education in Canada followed by 12 months of skilled work experience here cannot score at least 6.0 in each skill on IELTS then such person has very poor chances to succeed and compete in Canada. But it is just my opinion.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Default thank you Andrew

I am gonna try to score at least 1 7 in my next test.
Keep my fingers corssed for the occupation in demand list.
I just have 1 more question. While CIC has kept pushing back the date to implementing the CEC program, will they be able to meet the quota they set from the report presented to Parliament last November? Is Buffalo really going to issue 12000 PR visa in 3 months given they will start implementing CEC from October,2008.
thanks again!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 2:48 am

Default Re: thank you Andrew

Not a chance, at least it is not very likely. Applications can be submitted since October (as per Madam Minister) - I don't see how 12,000 applications (or any for that matter) can be processed and visas issued in 10 or so weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.