Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

*** Canadian Experience Class update ***

*** Canadian Experience Class update ***

Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:38 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: *** Canadian Experience Class update ***

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Andrew I would be interested to hear your opinion on these comments that i found on another website. Although nowhere near in depth as your comments I'm not sure about the accuracy...

"It allows students to apply in Canada and others already on work permits. The staff are already hired and that is why H&C application processing times at Vegreville, AB dropped from 18 months to 1-2 months."

I'm curious as to the statement " the staff have already been hired" and what impact the new class if any would have on H&C applications?

Thanks for your time
CIC in the CEC Discussion Paper clearly states that CEC applications will be processed in Buffalo. Then it has nothing to do with "the staff have already been hired" in Vegreville and absolutely nothing to do with H&C cases in Canada.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 11:55 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know whether it is just Saskstchewan but I know our applications once approved by Sask will go to CIC and then onto Buffalo or Los Angeles. We have been warned that if appointment is needed it could be in either of those places.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
This seems particularly daft. It means for most applicants it's adding a third country into the mix. You're applying to Canada but if we interview you you'll have to travel to the US? What if you're inadmissible to the US for some reason, but that reason has no bearing on your Canadian application?
This is one of factors making CEC a washout IMHO. CEC brings nothing new if processed in Buffalo - work permit holders in Canada can already an option to apply through Buffalo or through visa post processing PR applications from their home country. Often processing of SW applications with arranged employment is faster in other than Buffalo visa posts.

The selection requirements are also a mess IMO. Most who are already in Canada with valid work permits, working in skilled jobs and having permanent employment offer have enough points to apply with arranged employment through visa post abroad as soon as they start work in Canada, without any need to gain 2 years Canadian experience to qualify for CEC.

Who then the CEC is intended for and who may benefit from it over standard SW application with arranged employment?

I can't see any benefit of CEC for those who work in Canada and already meet definition of SW and have enough points to apply through other than Buffalo visa post and get fast tracked with their arranged employment. They don't need to wait until they gain 2 years of Canadian experience to qualify for CEC. They may even apply through Buffalo anyway if they want, particularly if processing in their country takes longer than in Buffalo.

Graduated students without prior to study in Canada work experience? They must graduate from post-grad work permit eligible program and gain 1 years of skilled experience in Canada to be eligible for CEC. Thus CEC doesn't bring any benefits to them as they can use standard SW application with arranged employment anyway already.

Seems to me that the only people who may benefit from CEC are a still valid work permit holders who just got fired/laid off their job in Canada and cannot find another one - as CEC will not require to have the job at the time of application.

And the losers will be those who are currently in US (or other place within Buffalo's jurisdiction) and applied or will apply as standard SW - their processing times will dramatically increase as in addition to Quebec and PNP cases now CEC applicants will have higher processing priority in Buffalo.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jan 6th 2008 at 12:16 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
I don't know whether it is just Saskstchewan but I know our applications once approved by Sask will go to CIC and then onto Buffalo or Los Angeles. We have been warned that if appointment is needed it could be in either of those places.
Wrong. It is you, not Sask, who submits PR application, even if you apply with Sask PNP. If you are already in Canada (admitted for at least 12 months) then you have the option to send application either to Buffalo or to visa post processing applications from your home country. If you are not in Canada then you can only submit application to visa post processing applications from your country of nationality or habitual residence. Even if you are from the country under the jurisdiction of Buffalo then LA is not a place to submit application, it is Buffalo.

What is your nationality, what country you live in and who told you that your PR application will go to Buffalo or LA?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:27 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
CIC in the CEC Discussion Paper clearly states that CEC applications will be processed in Buffalo. Then it has nothing to do with "the staff have already been hired" in Vegreville and absolutely nothing to do with H&C cases in Canada.
I was just curious as this was a direct quote from another CSIC registered consultant.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:32 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong. It is you, not Sask, who submits PR application, even if you apply with Sask PNP. If you are already in Canada (admitted for at least 12 months) then you have the option to send application either to Buffalo or to visa post processing applications from your home country. If you are not in Canada then you can only submit application to visa post processing applications from your country of nationality or habitual residence. Even if you are from the country under the jurisdiction of Buffalo then LA is not a place to submit application, it is Buffalo.

What is your nationality, what country you live in and who told you that your PR application will go to Buffalo or LA?
We're British, we're in Canada with 2 year work permits OH on the Truck Drivers Programme and we have been told by and Immigration Officer from Regina that we have to firstly submit our full application to Regina for them to tell us that we fulfill Saskatchewans needs then we can apply under the Sasktachewan Immigration Nationalisation Programme. I know that the files once sent complete to Canada are routed onto either Buffalo or LA cos the IO told us at a meeting before Christmas and the other people on the programmes files are being dealt with by LA at the moment, fortunatley they do not need to attend meeting and have just been asked for thiers meds, so I assume if there is no change this is the process our application will take. She also told us there may be a possibility that we can get or PR in Regina in some sort of ceremony so she must be aware of some changes.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I was just curious as this was a direct quote from another CSIC registered consultant.
Until I received the Discussion Paper I was also led to believe that CEC cases will be processed in Canada. Maybe the other person didn't read yet his/her mail, or missed the part about Buffalo? Or is simply making things up.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:46 pm

We're British, we're in Canada with 2 year work permits OH on the Truck Drivers Programme and we have been told by and Immigration Officer from Regina that we have to firstly submit our full application to Regina for them to tell us that we fulfill Saskatchewans needs then we can apply under the Sasktachewan Immigration Nationalisation Programme. I know that the files once sent complete to Canada are routed onto either Buffalo or LA cos the IO told us at a meeting before Christmas and the other people on the programmes files are being dealt with by LA at the moment, fortunatley they do not need to attend meeting and have just been asked for thiers meds, so I assume if there is no change this is the process our application will take. She also told us there may be a possibility that we can get or PR in Regina in some sort of ceremony so she must be aware of some changes.
Looks like person you talked to "knows" more than CIC knows. And there is no such thing as "Saskatchewan Immigration Nationalisation Programme". There is a Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) though.

And again - it is the applicant, not the nominating Province, who submits PR visa application under PNP class to visa post as per here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...pply-where.asp

If you are for 2 years legally in Canada and are Brits then you have the option to apply either through Buffalo or through London. Choice is yours, not Saskatchewan's.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

crunch343 is an unknown quantity at this point

And the losers will be those who are currently in US (or other place within Buffalo's jurisdiction) and applied or will apply as standard SW - their processing times will dramatically increase as in addition to Quebec and PNP cases now CEC applicants will have higher processing priority in Buffalo.
How will the processing times dramatically increase when a lot of people won't even qualify for CEC due to its stiff requirements? Atleast not in the forseeable future, maybe I think after 2-3 years there might be some further delays if there is enough of a pipeline of CEC applicants.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:58 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Looks like person you talked to "knows" more than CIC knows. And there is no such thing as "Saskatchewan Immigration Nationalisation Programme". There is a Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) though.

And again - it is the applicant, not the nominating Province, who submits PR visa application under PNP class to visa post as per here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...pply-where.asp

If you are for 2 years legally in Canada and are Brits then you have the option to apply either through Buffalo or through London. Choice is yours, not Saskatchewan's.
Sorry Andrew if I am not making myself clear, I am just assuming the the read know where I am coming from - yes I made a mistake and said Nationalisation not nominee. yes I know we have to submit the application on our own behalf but it must all go into Sask for nomination first with their application. I know that we send the completed application to somewhere in Canada we haven't been told that we can apply through London, this is something I will discuss as soon as possible. All I am trying to get across is that files are currently being sent either to Buffalo or LA at the moment.

I will state that I am sorry I even put my two peneth worth on this thread!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:58 pm

20,000 visas to be issued under CEC in 2008 - it is 20,000 applications getting higher priority treatment than standard SW applications in Buffalo. You are telling me that 20,000 cases pushed to back burner is not "a dramatic increase in processing times"?

Still a lot of people who meet CEC requirements will select CEC route over SW with arranged employment or PNP route for various reasons, despite stiff requirements.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

crunch343 is an unknown quantity at this point

20,000 visas to be issued under CEC in 2008 - it is 20,000 applications getting higher priority treatment than standard SW applications in Buffalo. You are telling me that 20,000 cases pushed to back burner is not "a dramatic increase in processing times"?

Still a lot of people who meet CEC requirements will select CEC route over SW with arranged employment or PNP route for various reasons, despite stiff requirements.
Well 20K is the quota. So you're basically saying that in 08 there are going to be 20K SWs who will meet the CEC criteria? I doubt that.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:04 pm

Sorry Andrew if I am not making myself clear, I am just assuming the the read know where I am coming from - yes I made a mistake and said Nationalisation not nominee. yes I know we have to submit the application on our own behalf but it must all go into Sask for nomination first with their application. I know that we send the completed application to somewhere in Canada we haven't been told that we can apply through London, this is something I will discuss as soon as possible. All I am trying to get across is that files are currently being sent either to Buffalo or LA at the moment.

I will state that I am sorry I even put my two peneth worth on this thread!
Nothing to be sorry about. You were obviously misinformed and you should know what your options are. It is you who can decide where your PR case goes. At this time London and Buffalo seem to have similar processing time for PNP cases and as a Brit you have no problem going to US if interview is needed, unless you are inadmissible to US. So, the choice is yours.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by crunch343
Well 20K is the quota. So you're basically saying that in 08 there are going to be 20K SWs who will meet the CEC criteria? I doubt that.
On what basis?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason I can think of to process CEC cases in Buffalo is that obviously CIC have a certain amount of staff based there and they take the view that many CEC cases will be from those who would have applied to Buffalo anyway. So if they decided to process them in Canada and did nothing else, they could end up with excess staff in Buffalo.

Although it's a little surprising that they have not taken the opportunity to bring the (processing) jobs back into Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.