Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

*** Canadian Experience Class update ***

*** Canadian Experience Class update ***

Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:14 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation *** Canadian Experience Class update ***

We (CSIC members) have received some details about CEC and invitation to participate in the discussion and survey about it, together with some basics about proposed program. CIC wants our input by the end of January and plans to implement CEC by late Summer 2008.

So, all who are hoping to fit into CEC and use it or are trying to figure out which route to take (SW with arranged employment, PNP or CEC) should take into account fact that CEC won't be in place for at least next 8 or so months.

Now preliminary info about CEC (subject to discussion, input and of course changes as it is being developed):

- only those who came to Canada legally to work or study may be eligible

- limited to NOC Skills Level 0, A and B

- selection criteria to be based on determination about successful labor market integration, which include Canadian educational credential, work experience in Canada and language proficiency

- valid status in Canada will be required at the time of application

- at least moderate language proficiency documented by IELTS and/or TEF will be required

- no proof of funds needed

- for recent Canadian graduates - must have completed at least 2 years of post-secondary study program at the institution qualifying for post-graduate work permit and at least 12 months of work experience in Canada acquired after graduation (but within 2 years prior to CEC application) and exclusively in Skills Level 0, A or B. Subject to coming new changes to post-graduate program currently under development.

- for work permit holders - at least secondary school diploma, trade certificate or apprenticeship required plus 2 years of full time work experience in Canada in skills level 0, A or B acquired within 3 years prior to CEC application.

Now something very important that was not disclosed earlier - all CEC applications will be processed in Buffalo with higher priority than SW class but not superseding Quebec and PNP cases. Many, including myself, anticipated CEC cases to be processed in Canada (just like in-Canada spouse/common-law partner class), but it seems not to be the case.

Thus, if interview is required then of course it will be conducted in Buffalo or one of it's 4 satellite posts in US (Detroit, LA, NY or Seattle).

Landing (becoming a PR) for CEC applicants either at the port of entry by going around the flagpole or in local CIC office

The good news for other applicants already in Canada - CIC wants to extend by Spring 2008 the same "landing inside Canada" provision to all with valid temporary status in Canada

It is all what I know so far, thus please don't ask me any questions going beyond the above as I won't be able to answer.

Now my comment - IMO what is being proposed is quite a washout of what we were hoping for, in quite few areas - implementation time, processing place (Buffalo instead of in Canada), processing priorities and quite tough criteria to be met by graduates. As a result, if no positive changes will be made, many work permit holders and Canadian graduates may be better off (at least for now) taking PNP or federal SW with arranged employment route through visa post abroad. This will of course change when more visa quotas will be shifted from federal SW class to CEC in coming years.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jan 6th 2008 at 12:18 am.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

ScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to allScottDrummer is a name known to all
Default Re: *** Canadian Experience Class update ***

If you were to apply for this whilst in Canada on a 1 year bunac visa, would you have an implied status and therefore legal ability to continue working?
Also, do you have to have arranged employment for this application?
8 months is the amount of time left on my visa im not sure it would come in before then but if it does it could be a good option for me.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I think some of the key questions are:

1. Will a CEC applicant be permitted to remain in Canada during processing of the case?

2. Will those living or working in Quebec be allowed to apply for CEC?

3. Will a CEC application be points tested?
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
If you were to apply for this whilst in Canada on a 1 year bunac visa, would you have an implied status and therefore legal ability to continue working?
Applying for PR doesn't make your status in Canada "implied" in any way. It is only when you apply for extension of existing permit (not to change it in any way) when you are in implied status.

Originally Posted by ScottDrummer
Also, do you have to have arranged employment for this application?
8 months is the amount of time left on my visa im not sure it would come in before then but if it does it could be a good option for me.
Discussion paper states that you don't need to be employed in Canada at the time of application.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think some of the key questions are:

1. Will a CEC applicant be permitted to remain in Canada during processing of the case?
Unknown at this stage. Remember that it won't be an in-Canada process like it is with inland process for spouses/common-law partners. It will be, as we know now, entirely out of Canada application processed in Buffalo. Discussion paper only states that applicant must have legally come to Canada to work or study, and have valid temporary status in Canada at the time of application. Foreign nationals such as refugee claimants in Canada and workers without status (undocumented) will not qualify.

Originally Posted by JAJ
2. Will those living or working in Quebec be allowed to apply for CEC?
CEC will not apply in the Province of Quebec. Whatever it may mean.

Originally Posted by JAJ
3. Will a CEC application be points tested?
CEC applications (principal applicants and dependants) will be processed in CIC’s Buffalo mission using the procedures currently applied to the Federal Skilled Workers. Whatever it will finally mean when implemented. I assume (I may be wrong though) based on what Discussion paper is saying that selection criteria for CEC will be different and Regulations will be amended.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jan 6th 2008 at 3:53 am.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to have to ask but could somebody please tell me what CEC and SW stand for? Spot the newbie!! Many thanks.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:27 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry to have to ask but could somebody please tell me what CEC and SW stand for? Spot the newbie!! Many thanks.
Canadian Abbreviations
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:28 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Why are you up at 3.30 in the morning??
I'm going to bed. Too late for brain function.

Last edited by dingbat; Jan 6th 2008 at 9:30 am.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

Thanks Judy but neither are listed in there! I did look at that originally but it didn't give me the answer.

Edited to add that I've now found CEC on the list (thanks for adding it Judy!) but SW definitely isn't on it. Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 6th 2008 at 10:20 am.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Beebop is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Judy but neither are listed in there! I did look at that originally but it didn't give me the answer.

Edited to add that I've now found CEC on the list (thanks for adding it Judy!) but SW definitely isn't on it. Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you.
Skilled worker
Old Jan 6th 2008, 4:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Beebop
Skilled worker
DOH!! I thought it would be something obscure, never crossed my mind it would be so obvious! Thank you.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:00 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

SW definitely isn't on it
Doh! I automatically assumed that SW was on the list of abbreviations. Thank you for pointing out that it's not there. I'll go and add it now. And when you feel a little more comfortable with using this website, feel free to edit Wiki articles yourself. There are instructions in the Wiki article on how to create a Wiki article. I know that does have a bit of a Monty Python ring to it, but needs must.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:39 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Andrew I would be interested to hear your opinion on these comments that i found on another website. Although nowhere near in depth as your comments I'm not sure about the accuracy...

"It allows students to apply in Canada and others already on work permits. The staff are already hired and that is why H&C application processing times at Vegreville, AB dropped from 18 months to 1-2 months."

I'm curious as to the statement " the staff have already been hired" and what impact the new class if any would have on H&C applications?

Thanks for your time
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:33 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Now something very important that was not disclosed earlier - all CEC applications will be processed in Buffalo with higher priority than SW class but not superseding Quebec and PNP cases. Many, including myself, anticipated CEC cases to be processed in Canada (just like in-Canada spouse/common-law partner class), but it seems not to be the case.

Thus, if interview is required then of course it will be conducted in Buffalo or one of it's 4 satellite posts in US (Detroit, LA, NY or Seattle).
This seems particularly daft. It means for most applicants it's adding a third country into the mix. You're applying to Canada but if we interview you you'll have to travel to the US? What if you're inadmissible to the US for some reason, but that reason has no bearing on your Canadian application? What if people simply refuse to travel to the US (a growing number of people in the world). I can just hear the conversation at immigration.

"Reason for coming to the United States?"

"I'm attending an immigration interview."

"Oh yes? How so?"

"I've having to come here to have an interview for immigration to Canada."

"Okay. That makes no sense to me, why would you come to the US from XXXX for an interview for admission to Canada? Back on the next plane you chancer unless you can come up with a different story."

Seems like a daft idea to me. Process it in Buffalo sure, but interviews should be held either in the applicants local office, or in a Canadian office surely.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:10 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
This seems particularly daft.
I agree. Unfortunately, my participation on this forum has revealed information that has lowered my opinion of CIC. In some ways, they seem to be a law unto themselves. But I suppose one can say that, on balance, Canada is one of the world's most generous countries when it comes to the number of immigrants whom it admits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.