Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

**** Amendments to IRPA as tabled ****

**** Amendments to IRPA as tabled ****

Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: **** Amendments to IRPA as tabled ****

Mr. Miller,

Thank you for all the information about the proposed amendments, which I have read and found interesting (and quite disturbing) as I am on the point of putting in my Skilled Worker PR application.

At present, I have no arranged employment, and it was my intention to put my application in without this, with a view to adding AE to my application later if I can obtain this (which I understand you can do). My question is, in the light of the proposed changes, is this course of action still practical?

Thanks again,

S.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:11 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody really knows for sure yet. Applying now, without arranged employment or without at least starting intensive job search at same time is rather pointless, especially for those with occupations that are not in any demand in Canada.

Here are some bits from Globe and Mail article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

... Those who were already in the queue before Feb. 27 will not be affected, although some immigrants with skills in demand can be moved to the front of the line.

Other government statistics show that the queues are concentrated in a small number of places. Someone who currently applies to immigrate to Canada from New Delhi will wait 12.8 years. In Manila, the wait is 11.9 years, and in Bogota the wait is 16.5 years.

In places where there is virtually no backlog, most applicants will be accepted as long as they have enough points based on language, education, experience, family ties etc. It is in places like India and the Philippines that they will be turned away if they have the points, but do not possess the required skills.

However, when the government talks about “setting the number of applications or requests, by category or otherwise, to be processed in any year,” it will reduce the number of successful applicants from all countries, including those places where there is virtually no backlog.

Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Nobody really knows for sure yet. Applying now, without arranged employment or without at least starting intensive job search at same time is rather pointless, especially for those with occupations that are not in any demand in Canada.

Here are some bits from Globe and Mail article:

... Those who were already in the queue before Feb. 27 will not be affected, although some immigrants with skills in demand can be moved to the front of the line.

Other government statistics show that the queues are concentrated in a small number of places. Someone who currently applies to immigrate to Canada from New Delhi will wait 12.8 years. In Manila, the wait is 11.9 years, and in Bogota the wait is 16.5 years.

In places where there is virtually no backlog, most applicants will be accepted as long as they have enough points based on language, education, experience, family ties etc. It is in places like India and the Philippines that they will be turned away if they have the points, but do not possess the required skills.

However, when the government talks about “setting the number of applications or requests, by category or otherwise, to be processed in any year,” it will reduce the number of successful applicants from all countries, including those places where there is virtually no backlog.

Thank you very much for that. I'm from the UK, and I infer from what you are saying that the backlog here isn't as great as that in countries such as those you have mentioned. I am currently engaged in an "intensive job search", but in the (hopefully) unlikely event that this is unsuccessful and I am left to rely on points alone, is favourable consideration by CIC of my skilled worker PR application still a viable aspiration, and if so, how long do you think I can be expected to wait?

Thanks again,

S.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:55 pm

Unfortunately UK is not as privileged as you may have hoped - current (since ~Jan 2007) applicants submitting applications without arranged employment are getting AOR letters stating that they will be asked for full application not sooner than 39 to 49+ months from the date of letter. It is also unlikely that your occupation will cause your application being "bumped" forward when new rules (if approved) will create a new game. Expect either a decade or more of waiting or application simply returned as lawyers are not in demand in Canada.

Your only chance in my opinion is to get a job in Canada and get it like yesterday. Then move here with work permit and submit full application package with arranged employment or with PNP certificate (this one unlikely with your occupation).
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Now we need to wait for the passage of amendments to IRPA - likely soon after that government will publish changes to Regulations. Those changes are the ones we all are waiting for as they will provide more details.

After that of course we need to see Instructions as well as changes to relevant chapters of Immigration Manual in order to see the entire new picture.

Wait and speculations continue....
Mr. Miller,

Do you have any idea about the waiting period until we know for sure what the changes are and how it is going to affect us (prospective skilled immigrants)?

Since I heard this news, I have stopped filling out my applications.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:07 am

If you are eligible to apply through Buffalo then you are not subject to simplified "application" process, you must submit standard, full application package with all forms and supporting documents, arranged employment or not.

Currently we are getting from Buffalo visas for our clients in US or Canada in 12 to 15 months, there is not much of a backlog in Buffalo.

Of course all will change once CEC (Canadian Experience Class) gets implemented later this summer and of course after amendments pass and Instructions are published by Minister. 30% overall reduction of visas for skilled workers this year will also affect Buffalo. Thus it is hard to predict how much all of this will affect processing and timelines for federal SW class in Buffalo - but it will affect it for sure.

The later you apply, the poorer prepared application package you'll have and farther from high demand your occupation is the more affected you'll be.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

interview with the minister
http://www.thecanadianimmigrant.com/...sk=view&id=915
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

If you are eligible to apply through Buffalo then you are not subject to simplified "application" process, you must submit standard, full application package with all forms and supporting documents, arranged employment or not.

The later you apply, the poorer prepared application package you'll have and farther from high demand your occupation is the more affected you'll be.
Thanks Mr. Miller. I am eligible to apply through Buffalo. What do you mean by "the later you apply, the poorer prepared application package you will have"? I thought taking more time and going through the application package several times are few ways to make a stronger application package. Anyway, I believe that you are telling me that it is not a good idea to wait and I should go ahead with my application. Am I right?
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:23 am

I meant exactly what I wrote - everyone is racing now to submit applications as soon as possible just to make it within whatever annual cap Minister puts on number of applications accepted for processing in any particular category, occupation, etc..

"poorer prepared application package" = inconclusive evidence and/or doubts and follow-up questions not addressed and evidenced upfront and/or lack of or inconclusive case/circumstances specific evidence (the problem is that it is not listed anywhere as it as unique as case and basic evidence is - thus if you have no experience doing it you are prone to fail this part) and/or if you won't conclusively/convincingly demonstrate your abilities and solid chances for successful economical establishment in Canada.

"farther from high demand your occupation is" = there will be cases with occupations in demand that will be bumped up to higher processing priority and get more visas as well as cases with occupations in lower demand that will have lower cap of visas and cases with occupations in no demand that may simply be returned without processing.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ibraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to allIbraheem is a name known to all

little bit more details:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2008-04-08.asp

"making decisions on cases faster, while meeting immediate labour market needs"

looks like occupation under pressure will be the main factor as anticipated by many.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 2:16 am

NDP motion to reject the budget-implementation bill that contains the immigration changes defeated:

We still need to wait for the main vote on C-50.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

user_ds is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr Miller,

Please contact me regarding the appeal of my refused application
<email removed>

Darek

Last edited by Biiiiink; Apr 10th 2008 at 3:49 pm. Reason: privacy
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by user_ds
Mr Miller,

Please contact me regarding the appeal of my refused application
<email removed>

Darek
Darek - please use the PM facility. Click on Andrew's user name and select "send private message".
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:29 am

Current status of Bill C-50 (where the amendments to IRPA are included):

http://www.parl.gc.ca/legisinfo/inde...5413&List=stat

Recent news articles:

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/414452
Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Paul1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andrew,

Will those who submitted skilled worker applications before the ammendments came into place still have a chance, by this I mean can they be refused even if they meet the points requirements just because the skills are not required?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.