"Disease" Question

Old Mar 6th 2001, 9:00 pm
Darren ORourke

When we plan to immigrate into Canada (Vancouver) at the end of this month (from the UK),
we were intending to bring our infection-free, innoculated and fully-certificated 8-year
old mongrel dog with us. We've spoken to our vet, and also to the UK "Ministry of
Agriculture Fisheries & Food" regarding the state of play regarding the Foot & Mouth
outbreak currently affecting our isle. They are all of the opinion that our dog (nor
indeed any canine) poses no threat to livestock/livlihoods of Canada, and therefore should
be allowed in with a clean bill of health (he - the dog! has not been in contact with any
farm animals)

However, after browsing through today's edition of the local 'paper @
www.vancouversun.com, it appears that Vancouver airport are installing "disinfectant
carpets... as part of a federal govt. push to keep Canada free of the highly contagious
foot and mouth disease"...

Am I (and/or they) being hyper-sensitive, or are we right to be concerned that our family
pet may (potentially) not be allowed access to Canada afterall?

Does anybody have any further information on this matter?!?

Thanks, and my apologies for opening a discussion on a topic that some may feel is not
really for this newsgroup!

Old Mar 7th 2001, 12:38 am
Denna

I just was reading the article on that in the Calgary Sun and they are bringing in
additional dogs to sniff out any meats brought in from the U.K. but there was no mention
of anything in regards to barring pets. Expect to be scrutinized more closely though when
coming in. You might call Customs and ask them their position on it.

>
    >
    >
    >
regarding
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >