British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Young family considering a move to Lake Balaton area - advice very welcome indeed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/young-family-considering-move-lake-balaton-area-advice-very-welcome-indeed-667817/)

Pollypaprika Jan 21st 2011 12:18 pm

Re: Young family considering a move to Lake Balaton area - advice very welcome indeed

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 9117992)
Just for reference, sale can be as quick as 1-2 days - land registry takes about one month.

Local farmer will have been using the land, quite typical. If you intend on using it yourself, you will need to have a word with him before he starts preparing it to plant. Don't be surprised if he isn't happy about it - more so if he needs it to access other plots. If you don't intend using the field, the farmer will usually be willing to barter goods or services of some sort in return.

We wont be using the land straight away, and probably not all of it in any event. We dont want to be upsetting locals and would let him know in advance. I suppose to us its an odd concept to have land and not use it yourself.

klarika Jan 22nd 2011 7:21 am

Re: Young family considering a move to Lake Balaton area - advice very welcome indeed

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 9113561)
Do you mean Balaton Investments Carol? I have a friend who bought through them and admittedly they were helpful but I think she was let down regarding building work. :( Perhaps something was lost in communication?

Hi Richard, I believe it is fine to recommend a company, what the site tries to avoid is summed up by Sue in her post here.

Hi Rural,

Yes I do mean Balaton Investements in Kesthey they were brilliant. All work building, plumbing, decorating etc were all locals hungarians and very very reasonable. My husband was also a builder in Spain and would of been hell of lot more expensive should he have done similar work in Spain. I do have a network of people here that I can now call on and recommend without any hesitation. If any body needs any of these contacts please pm me anytime.

Rural Hungary Jan 22nd 2011 8:20 am

Hi Klarika, yes it's the same company. Admittedly the sales service was brilliant, the difficulty came in that the workmen didn't speak a word of English.

Hi Polgardi, we were the same, we have over an acre of land and only use a small part of it. The old farmer who had been using it for years didn't speak to us for months as he thought we were going to use the land. After speaking with him, we now get half a pig from him each year (in return for the use of the land) and his wife regularly sends over cakes and gifts.

Pollypaprika Jan 22nd 2011 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary (Post 9120211)
Hi Klarika, yes it's the same company. Admittedly the sales service was brilliant, the difficulty came in that the workmen didn't speak a word of English.

Hi Polgardi, we were the same, we have over an acre of land and only use a small part of it. The old farmer who had been using it for years didn't speak to us for months as he thought we were going to use the land. After speaking with him, we now get half a pig from him each year (in return for the use of the land) and his wife regularly sends over cakes and gifts.

Hi Rural - when we come over for a week in Feb one of the first things we aim to do is introduce ourselves to the farmer and neighbours...start how we mean to go on so there are hopefully no misunderstandings :)

richardmc Jan 23rd 2011 2:13 pm

Hello all, with ref to what Rural said the third section of our land is being used by the local farmer as are all properties on our side of the street. Next door neighbours are receiving our share of the yearly goodies I think as they go a bit blank on sign language, but hey ho, we are not living there. Also he has raised 3 pigs last year (without permission)on our second bit and they should have been slaughtered last September. He cuts our grass (for payment) 6 months of the year but has used his pigs to keep the grass down (crafty ehh) so less time cutting. They are nice people certainly not daft when it comes to money and gave us some fruit on our last visit, you cannot go upsetting the neighbours but when hopefully we live there subtle changes will have to be made ;)

OGSG Mar 6th 2011 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by stromnessdundee (Post 9111584)
Hmm. I am not impressed by the education system here. The nursery was great but once my daughter got to primary school things went downhill. It is really rigid and to be frank backwards looking. This will only get worse with the new Government. The black marks for not having pencils sharpened correctly were the final straw for us I am afraid. We are now moving to Budapest from Siofok and putting our 2 kids in the British International School. Thanks to hubbie's employer this is an option. The 300km commute every day for hubby is another matter...

Oh sorry to hear about your bad encounter with primary school, I used to follow your blog and you seemed happy with the nursery system. I know further up in the school system it is again better.