Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Young family considering a move to Lake Balaton area - advice very welcome indeed

Young family considering a move to Lake Balaton area - advice very welcome indeed

Old May 15th 2010, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

npwilkes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young family considering a move to Lake Balaton area - advice very welcome indeed

One of the problems we face is whilst looking at properties on the web is helpful (very good site btw way rural hungary) we have no way of knowing what the people and houses around it are like :-(
Old May 16th 2010, 12:02 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Young family considering a move to Lake Balaton area - advice very welcome indeed

Thanks npwilkes. Your concern is definitely legitimate and one of the reasons I built the site (I will finish it one day....). When we originally moved here, we had no intention whatsoever of offering building or assistance services but hearing horror stories of overpriced properties, bad workmanship and lack of after sales assistance, we decided to try and help where we can. A case in point is a house we visited yesterday (which on arrival we discovered had been broken into, fortunately the property was empty), we will try and help as much as we can but if we had viewed the house for the client prior to visiting, we would have advised them not to purchase it; due to it's slightly isolated position and structural condition.

For many buyers, they arrive, view 20-30 houses within a 2-3 day period and unfortunately do not have the time or means of investigating the area or neighbours, hence our pre viewing service. Though we do of course have to charge for that as sadly time and fuel aren't free Though if you have certain villages in mind, either ourselves or others on the forum, will offer advise where we can. However, many villages can have both "good" and "bad" areas within them so you may wish to investigate a bit further.
Good luck
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:38 am
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm. I am not impressed by the education system here. The nursery was great but once my daughter got to primary school things went downhill. It is really rigid and to be frank backwards looking. This will only get worse with the new Government. The black marks for not having pencils sharpened correctly were the final straw for us I am afraid. We are now moving to Budapest from Siofok and putting our 2 kids in the British International School. Thanks to hubbie's employer this is an option. The 300km commute every day for hubby is another matter...
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Thanks npwilkes. When we originally moved here, we had no intention whatsoever of offering building or assistance services .......
Good luck
Yes, I know from experience how these things change but was wondering what you had planned to do when you moved to Hungary?
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Hello Npwilkes

If you ever need service such as building work etc etc etc etc in the South West region of Lake Balaton PM me and I will let you know who to trust and will give you a great friendly service - not sure but can I advertise the people i have found on this site, not sure ?? let me know .I dont want to break rules
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

klarika will become famous soon enoughklarika will become famous soon enough

We live in Balaton Bereny we have had excellent service from estate agents Balaton Investents the after service has been second to none they can not do enough for you and speak perfect english. Building, plumbers, painters ect have also been great and all very reasonable priced. If any body wants more information then please pm me I also speak hungarian if I can be of any assistance.

Good Luck

Carol
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:14 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean Balaton Investments Carol? I have a friend who bought through them and admittedly they were helpful but I think she was let down regarding building work. Perhaps something was lost in communication?

Hi Richard, I believe it is fine to recommend a company, what the site tries to avoid is summed up by Sue in her post here.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Rural I have read the rules and cannot see anything wrong in recommending builders that we have commisioned. In the same light I have ,in the past on the Forum mentioned Estates Agents that in our experience, are not very good in some ways and good in others and would not use again (GLM).
I would recommend "Balaton Base" to anyone for buildng quotes, and any other of the services they offer. We were nearly losing hope a year ago re builders you could trust to give reasonable Hungarian rates , the quote we had From a Hungarian builder was unreal and greedy so trawling around web forums we contact someone who put us onto "Balaton Base". One year on we are friends and have had our initial work completed and inspected and are very happy (keeping the missus happy) with the standard of work and price. Not only that but as remote second home owners they have done everything we have asked and more such as them discovering a small leak and liasing with the Waterboard and oversaw the repair and made sure the property was Winterised, also looking for a temporary sink so we can wash our dishes on our next visit. Excellent. These are the building bricks to enable us to eventually live in Hungary in the nearish future and gives us "security" in the knowledge that there are people who genuinly care. Everything going well there is a lot more work to come for them especally when we land there.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:30 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Thanks Richard

We were only too pleased to help and are delighted now to be able to call both of you friends

Unfortunately, you are not alone in your experience with the aforementioned company, many of our clients have bought through them. Thankfully though they are now, like yourselves, beginning to enjoy their homes in Hungary and moving in the right direction.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Unfortunately, you are not alone in your experience with the aforementioned company, many of our clients have bought through them. Thankfully though they are now, like yourselves, beginning to enjoy their homes in Hungary and moving in the right direction.
We have just bought through the aforementioned company and so far they have been fine. I assume you are referring to aftersales service?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 4:35 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Polgardi, I have no personal experience of the company, several users of the forum have but understandably , they may not wish to discuss their experiences on the forum. Some of the complaints I have heard of are; commission fees in the region of 30-40%, outlandish building quotes and excessive admin charges. Perhaps someone with personal experience of the company can enlighten you further.

With regards to realistic property prices, the agent Carol used is one of the better ones that I have come across.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Jan 20th 2011 at 4:52 am.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Hello Polgardi

Glad your sale went through ok. Yes GLM were helpfull at first, we visited for 5 days they put us up in B/B with nice people. They took us to OTP Bank Kesthely to set up an account and took us for a day trip to Budapest and a bit of sight seeing in between. We saw approx 28 properties in 3 days until they got fedup. We put an offer for a property near Lake Balaton which was accepted. The first transaction was 10% of the agreed price direct to GLM the remainder was then sent to the Lawyer who I assume does all the legals for them and the full price was shown on the sales agreement so I assume/maybe the deposit to them were their fees etc which was a lot of money in Forints. Still, the complete sale took a few months (there were 7 owners) and a few sweaty brows later and nervous gulps we received the title deed (one bit of paper stamped by Sigma).In short we waited a year for a builders quote with lots of apologies which was a no no. We had to laugh but Ewald, the owner invited us for a meal with his young wife (when we agreed a price) and when I asked how much he wanted for the B/B he said no money . GLM are very nice people and helpfull but I must admit their aftersales (when the sale is complete) is not good. I can ask at this point, we have no plans of our boundaries although the deeds stipulate the square meterage and want them, how do we go about it please.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 5:24 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Richard, we enquired about a copy of the property plan for a friend, they came under Marcali - not sure if you are the same, if so we can give you directions when you arrive or if we are passing we could try and pick it up for you. It costs 3,000ft.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by richardmc
Hello Polgardi

Glad your sale went through ok. Yes GLM were helpfull at first, we visited for 5 days they put us up in B/B with nice people. They took us to OTP Bank Kesthely to set up an account and took us for a day trip to Budapest and a bit of sight seeing in between. We saw approx 28 properties in 3 days until they got fedup. We put an offer for a property near Lake Balaton which was accepted. The first transaction was 10% of the agreed price direct to GLM the remainder was then sent to the Lawyer who I assume does all the legals for them and the full price was shown on the sales agreement so I assume/maybe the deposit to them were their fees etc which was a lot of money in Forints. Still, the complete sale took a few months (there were 7 owners) and a few sweaty brows later and nervous gulps we received the title deed (one bit of paper stamped by Sigma).In short we waited a year for a builders quote with lots of apologies which was a no no. We had to laugh but Ewald, the owner invited us for a meal with his young wife (when we agreed a price) and when I asked how much he wanted for the B/B he said no money . GLM are very nice people and helpfull but I must admit their aftersales (when the sale is complete) is not good. I can ask at this point, we have no plans of our boundaries although the deeds stipulate the square meterage and want them, how do we go about it please.
Thanks for this. We saw a property and land at the end of October and as of beginning of this year everything was done, including land registry etc - so I am really pleased with their service thus far. I also have a plan of the plot and size, though quite how I stake it out as part of the land has afarmers corn on it I dont know. I take on board what you are saying about aftersales and we will certainly shop around at any rate when we move to Hungary in June. Thanks for the info - really great.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:06 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Just for reference, sale can be as quick as 1-2 days - land registry takes about one month.

Local farmer will have been using the land, quite typical. If you intend on using it yourself, you will need to have a word with him before he starts preparing it to plant. Don't be surprised if he isn't happy about it - more so if he needs it to access other plots. If you don't intend using the field, the farmer will usually be willing to barter goods or services of some sort in return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.