Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Are you being Hungarian or British for Xmas?

Are you being Hungarian or British for Xmas?

Old Dec 20th 2017, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you being Hungarian or British for Xmas?

Originally Posted by Expatrick
& our Tesco guy on Tuesday was Hungarian too!
Maybe not for much longer :/
Old Dec 20th 2017, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

It's been decided! We're going full on Hunglish with töltött káposzta on the 24th and turkey etc on the 25th with plenty of pálinka and Unicum thrown in for good measure
Old Dec 20th 2017, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
Maybe not for much longer :/
They're not all leaving Hungary, are they?
Old Dec 20th 2017, 3:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulinEger
It's been decided! We're going full on Hunglish with töltött káposzta on the 24th and turkey etc on the 25th with plenty of pálinka and Unicum thrown in for good measure
We're also having Turkey, for the first time in years, both in UK & here
Old Dec 21st 2017, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Carrot_Cruncher is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

Together with my wife, kids and mother-in-law we will be having a traditional Hungarian lunch on the 24th opening presents afterwards. On the 25th we will pop to my parents and have a turkey dinner with all the trimmings and give/receive their presents.

Tree went up last week. We used to put it up Christmas eve, even in the UK, but it was too hectic at the last minute and we all enjoy looking at it so why not have it up earlier.

Miss shop bought mince pies - can't seem to make them as nice here.

Have a wonderful Christmas, wherever you may be.

Regards,
CC
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Stop Press:
I have just been informed the plan has changed for this year.
The Hungarian contingent around the table will be going traditional, watery soup with inedible bits of fish floating in it followed by the wrapped cabbage thingy and tripe.

Meanwhile I will be sitting at the end of the table with a lovely fat golden roasted chicken with roast spuds and all the trimmings, which I only have to share with the cat.
I certainly will not be envious of them, how they are going to feel remains to be seen.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by duztee
Stop Press:
I have just been informed the plan has changed for this year.
The Hungarian contingent around the table will be going traditional, watery soup with inedible bits of fish floating in it followed by the wrapped cabbage thingy and tripe.

Meanwhile I will be sitting at the end of the table with a lovely fat golden roasted chicken with roast spuds and all the trimmings, which I only have to share with the cat.
I certainly will not be envious of them, how they are going to feel remains to be seen.
Think I would have to pass on the Hungarian dishes in that case and join you at the end of the table !!!
Happy Christmas to all…….
Old Dec 25th 2017, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

We opened a couple of presents yesterday to follow the Hungarian tradition. Couldn't help but laugh as my sister-in-law gave me a T-shirt with the image of a blue deer. This is an ongoing family joke about one of my first trips to Hungary with my Hungarian wife. This all started when I commented about an ornament which was of a blueish grey deer. I suspect my wife didn't translate the grey bit and ever since the Hungarian side of my family have made jokes about blue (kek) deer (szarvas)!!!! Suffice to say .... I'm looking forward to when my sister-in-law comes over next month because she will be sleeping in a bed with ... guess what ..... bed linen with blue deer patterns all over it! https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=...rzCLNSUuKGFpM:
Looking forward to seeing her jaw drop!
Old Dec 25th 2017, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Christmas dinner & presents last night but more presents today, so only 364 days to the next set!
Old Dec 25th 2017, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Have some duck for today (got from work and the boss let me off the bill so that was nice!!). Presents all done lst night. Just an overtired toddler and a moody 4 and a half year old to deal with today.......... At least it's warm!
Old Dec 25th 2017, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

As I suspected the Hungarian faction decided my roast spuds,veg and chicken lavished with gravy was far more appealing than tripe.

So I am supposed to find room in my freezer for 2 kilos of uneaten tripe, I just know it will probably still be in there next Xmas, but at least they ate their stuffed cabbage.

So that's Christmas done and dusted.
Happy New Year everyone!
Old Dec 25th 2017, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

So I am supposed to find room in my freezer for 2 kilos of uneaten tripe, I just know it will probably still be in there next Xmas, but at least they ate their stuffed cabbage.
Happy New Year everyone!
Haven't you got a dog ?
Old Dec 25th 2017, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Haven't you got a dog ?
Do you know someone with a dog?
Old Dec 26th 2017, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

I most definitely do not have a dog, too much responsibility to look after. One cat is enough, if I go away for a few days she simply goes to the neighbours to eat.
She turned her nose up at the tripe, probably too much Paprika and spice for her liking.

As happy as I would be to give it to a dog or even the rubbish bin, I'm told I must keep it because it is a 'delicacy' - their word NOT mine!
Old Dec 26th 2017, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

I most definitely do not have a dog, too much responsibility to look after. One cat is enough, if I go away for a few days she simply goes to the neighbours to eat.
She turned her nose up at the tripe, probably too much Paprika and spice for her liking.

As happy as I would be to give it to a dog or even the rubbish bin, I'm told I must keep it because it is a 'delicacy' - their word NOT mine!
Then serve it up next time they drop in !!

There are lots of things that are considered a delicacy e.g. pigs balls, brains (often served as a brain omelette or on toast), bone marrow,........... It's just a decision of how to deal with such 'delicacys when presented with them.

Last edited by Peter_in_Hungary; Dec 26th 2017 at 10:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.