Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Yearly Tax for Garage

Yearly Tax for Garage

Old Oct 19th 2021, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yearly Tax for Garage

Just had two people here from the komanyablak to check our garage for the yearly tax. They have said we have to pay the tax unless we change the double doors to a single narrower door.
Seems ridiculous because we cannot access the garage due to a cherry tree blocking access and there is no crossover.
Couple questions querying this tax:
1) Did previous owner pay yearly garage tax. Something we may raise. Justified I think as previous owner made no mention of this.
2) Mother-in-law property has a garage. Did she have to pay tax? Need to check this.
3) A 4x4 or AWD would be needed to negotiate driving up or down the slope to get in/out of the garage. Commonsense any car owner would see it's not possible for a non-4WD or AWD.
4) My Suzuki SX4 S-Cross won't fit unless I drove it inside at a slight angle.

Does anyone else have to pay tax for an unused garage inaccessible for their car.

Old Oct 19th 2021, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yearly Tax for Garage

Garage tax comes under building tax and is optional and levied by the local council as part of its community charge and local taxation so not everyone will pay it and those that do can have different amounts to pay.

How much tax are you talking about ? (It will be charged on a per m2 / year.)

What type of building is a garage will be defined - hence the advice to make the door narrower makes because this means it would be a storage room or something but not a garage. The fact that you have difficulty getting into it (or even if its impossible to get in) doesn't alter the fact that it is constructed as a garage.

If you have not intention of using it as a garage then replacing one of the doors with a fixed wooden panel might be enough to avoid the tax and would be reservable if circumstances change. You would have to ask or look at the reg to find out what size door makes it a garage. (I'm thinking of osb sheets screwed to the frame and then painted).

Edit to say we don't pay this tax !!
Old Oct 19th 2021, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Garage tax comes under building tax and is optional and levied by the local council as part of its community charge and local taxation so not everyone will pay it and those that do can have different amounts to pay.

What type of building is a garage will be defined - hence the advice to make the door narrower makes because this means it would be a storage room or something but not a garage. The fact that you have difficulty getting into it (or even if its impossible to get in) doesn't alter the fact that it is constructed as a garage.

If you have not intention of using it as a garage then replacing one of the doors with a fixed wooden panel might be enough to avoid the tax and would be reservable if circumstances change. You would have to ask or look at the reg to find out what size door makes it a garage. (I'm thinking of osb sheets screwed to the frame and then painted).

If tax is based on m2 .... they will have to come back because they didn't measure it although we did provide measurements for all the rooms for the community charge and local taxation. Would have thought they'd have this from the previous owner.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
If tax is based on m2 .... they will have to come back because they didn't measure it although we did provide measurements for all the rooms for the community charge and local taxation. Would have thought they'd have this from the previous owner.
If you provided measurements for the community charge did you describe the place in question as a garage measuring n by n ? If you had called it a store then perhaps you would not have got a visit
Old Oct 19th 2021, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I don't pay any tax either, My garage is very awkward to get into, Plenty long enough but narrow and only just enough room to open the door sufficiently wide for me to get out. I'm not sure about my new car because I haven't got round to trying yet. I've got a feeling though, even if I'm able to get the car in the garage there won't be enough room to open the door wide enough for me to squeeze out!
Old Oct 19th 2021, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

If you provided measurements for the community charge did you describe the place in question as a garage measuring n by n ? If you had called it a store then perhaps you would not have got a visit
Just realised the garage size was not included but I think somewhere on the form my wife might have ticked we have a garage.
Garage tax is not a huge amount and I'd rather change the double doors later instead of doing a rush job.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

xavierx is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone who does pay garage tax have a price for how much it costs?
Old Oct 19th 2021, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

but I think somewhere on the form my wife might have ticked we have a garage.
That was probably the gotcha
Old Oct 20th 2021, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by xavierx
Does anyone who does pay garage tax have a price for how much it costs?
6.000 forints, approximately £150 ... seems alot for Hungary.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

I am wondering if the approximate 12-14 m2 for the garage counts towards the m2 for the yearly community charge? The boiler room where the wood burner is is about 16-18 m2 and totally unsuitable for "living" use except storage. The "inspectors" didn't check this space.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 6:23 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I have a garage at my house down here in Somogy County and I have never been taxed for mine and it is in plain view of the street. I am wondering if this tax is a local thing? In fact the only tax bill I have ever paid was on my car until the National government stripped the ability to tax vehicles away from the local government. I still have not gotten a tax bill this year for my car and neither have many of my neighbours. In fact last year the viillage sent me 2 tax things for the car which I immediately paid so I am wondering if they had to give part of that money I pad to the national government? I tried to make an inquiry about it with a Hungarian friend who speaks excellent English and fully understood my question and he got no where either. Back to the topic of this thread. Do local governments in some regions in fact tax real estate or other personal items?
Old Oct 20th 2021, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm wondering if my wife misheard the "inspectors" and it should be 600 forint. My wife has asked her sister but not had a reply yet.
It will be interesting if we have to pay community charge/local tax for the garage and new owners of mother-in-law doesn't. It's not sold yet so will be a while before we know.
I do recall a local deaf friend mentioned he has to pay some sort of community charge/local tax for his garage. I need to ask him for more details as my wife did mention the garage had been built by a previous owner without planning permission or something along those lines but it looks purpose built as far as I'm concerned. He's actually using it as an additional workshop.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

The community charge and the land tax are two separate things and the garage would come under the land tax as far as I know ... I had to fill in a form initially from the local office and had to give details of the land size, house size and sizes of all outbuildings as well which is what the garage would come under, I would imagine. If I remember correctly, my land tax is somewhere in the region of £30 per year ...
Old Oct 20th 2021, 8:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

6.000 forints, approximately £150 ... seems alot for Hungary.
Blimey, the exchange rate has changed a bit! Misplaced zero perhaps!
Old Oct 20th 2021, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Back to the topic of this thread. Do local governments in some regions in fact tax real estate or other personal items?
Local governments have the authority within the law to optionally charge tax on certain categories. The garage tax is one, and in holiday areas there can also be a tax on tourist accommodation. what can be taxed and the maximum amount is regulated by law. Our council charges neither garage tax nor tourist accommodation tax.

As was said above recently car tax was moved from a local government revenue stream to central government so I can imagine some councils looking to replace this shortfall somehow and will probably be looking at the optional (for them!) taxes. I believe some static motoring offences go to local government.

What your local council charges should be listed on their web site. Try googling (village name) helyi ado or go to their web site

When thinking about local tax compare what you pay here with the UK community charge. Even after dividing by 4 to allow for differing wage rates it is still (very) cheap here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.