Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Hungary Hippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

Sky Sports 1 is showing some programmes tonight called "Football's Greatest". At 2100 GMT there's one about Hungary. Synopsis: "A profile of the Hungary team that achieved so much success during the 1950s. Includes rare archive footage and interviews with former players." I will be recording it!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hungary Hippo
Sky Sports 1 is showing some programmes tonight called "Football's Greatest". At 2100 GMT there's one about Hungary. Synopsis: "A profile of the Hungary team that achieved so much success during the 1950s. Includes rare archive footage and interviews with former players." I will be recording it!
Thanks for that, will try and find a copy online as I don't have Sky

llareggub, that was a brave decision subbing the goalie but he took the gamble and it paid off - don't think many managers would have had the nerve to do so.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Thanks for that, will try and find a copy online as I don't have Sky

llareggub, that was a brave decision subbing the goalie but he took the gamble and it paid off - don't think many managers would have had the nerve to do so.
Van Graal said Krul had a longer reach ..... he is 2" taller than the other goalie. I won't be surprised if Van Graal discovers Man Utd's De Gea goalie's reach is not long enough and puts him in one of those medieval body stretching contraptions.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Van Graal said Krul had a longer reach ..... he is 2" taller than the other goalie. I won't be surprised if Van Graal discovers Man Utd's De Gea goalie's reach is not long enough and puts him in one of those medieval body stretching contraptions.
I think it was more to do with mind games than owt else, Krul played them brilliantly, got to be one of the most dramatic and unusual WC moments I have ever seen!

There will be Manure fans deliriously happy to see their new man making big, controversial and unpleasant decisions
Old Jul 8th 2014, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llareggub
I think it was more to do with mind games than owt else, Krul played them brilliantly, got to be one of the most dramatic and unusual WC moments I have ever seen!

There will be Manure fans deliriously happy to see their new man making big, controversial and unpleasant decisions
Van Graal has made some brilliant tactical changes throughout the WC.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 7:55 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by echantillons
Its the Messi fever this season and I am very much sure that Argentina will be lifting the world cup 2014, having won all the games by good margins, its gonna be the Argetnian fever this season.
If Argentina wins the cup... in Brazil... that would be amusing.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 8:05 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
If Argentina wins the cup... in Brazil... that would be amusing.
After last nights destruction of Brazil, I don't think Germany will be a walkover. Argentina winning would definitely be adding insult to injury for the Brazilians.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

What a superb game, Brazil have been grating this World Cup with expectant entitlement, they were a poor team that very much got the rub of the green with the exception of a freak injury.

Germany for me have been the best team in the tournament but I would not put much stock in last nights result, Brazil were beyond appalling (but you can only beat the team in front of you) I reckon even Steven Gerrard would have completed a few passes against Brazil last night

Here is hoping for a game half as interesting tonight!
Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Doh! Holland lost against Argentina through penalties. The longer it went on the more I thought Holland are not going to win.
I'll be rooting for Germany to win the WC and Holland to win the 3rd Place.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:50 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by llareggub

Here is hoping for a game half as interesting tonight!
Well we certainly didn't get that! After last nights performance, Germany should have no problem. Why oh why didn't he stick to what worked and sub the goalie, knowing penalties were likely, despite Van Persie not have a good game, why sub him and leave himself without this option?
Old Jul 10th 2014, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Well we certainly didn't get that! After last nights performance, Germany should have no problem. Why oh why didn't he stick to what worked and sub the goalie, knowing penalties were likely, despite Van Persie not have a good game, why sub him and leave himself without this option?
Think Van Gaal lost the option of bringing on Krul for the penalties because earlier Nigel De Jong had to come off. Funny enough Van Gaal is the one who taught the Argentine goalkeeper how to stop penalties. What goes round goes round!

Holland concentrated on snuffing out Messi and Holland concentrated on snuffing out Robben (and van Persie).

Will be interesting to see how well Brazil perform on Saturday for the 3rd place.

Whoever wins the WC the real winner will be Europe because this is where most of the footballers play their football. If the football leagues in South America were as good and paid as well as in Europe we wouldn't see so many South American footballers over here.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:45 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Whoever wins the WC the real winner will be Europe because this is where most of the footballers play their football. If the football leagues in South America were as good and paid as well as in Europe we wouldn't see so many South American footballers over here.
For England, this is a cycle they need to break to ever have a chance again on the international stage. Having witnessed the grass roots and development pathways here, albeit in the girls football, there are issues with the standard of coaching and inadequate facilities. An other issue is the cost involved, not all parents can afford to support their child through the development process and some excellent young players never get the chance to progress. Until this is tackled, the decline in the number of top quality English players will continue.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

For England, this is a cycle they need to break to ever have a chance again on the international stage. Having witnessed the grass roots and development pathways here, albeit in the girls football, there are issues with the standard of coaching and inadequate facilities. An other issue is the cost involved, not all parents can afford to support their child through the development process and some excellent young players never get the chance to progress. Until this is tackled, the decline in the number of top quality English players will continue.
Completely agree about grass roots and development in England. I have a local deaf friend whose hearing son is on Arsenal schoolboys books and luckily they pay for all travel costs to their London Colney training ground. Had it not been for this they'd struggle to continue his development.

Now to Hungary ..... what has happened to them? When Ferenc Puskas was around they were superb but since they have fallen a long way. Mind you they are still good at alot of other sports.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

For me the difficulties lie in the nature of the 'academy' system in the UK, once you are in an academy then that is it, you can no longer play for your school, boys clubs etc.....

I don't think there has been a particular decline in quality English players, I just don't think we have kept pace with the rest of the World in nurturing young talent.

Just hoping the WC final is not a replay of the 1986 final which really was the most turgid affair despite Germany and Argentina playing scintillating football throughout the tournament.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:20 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Now to Hungary ..... what has happened to them? When Ferenc Puskas was around they were superb but since they have fallen a long way. Mind you they are still good at alot of other sports.
Our neighbouring village has a bronze bust of Puskas in the village centre - I think the mayor is a huge Foci fan.

From what I heard, with my daughter playing there, youth development has been greatly improved and the youth teams have been doing well so perhaps things are looking up for the future - wish I could say the same about Scotland

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.