Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: World Cup 2014 - Who will win?

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Our neighbouring village has a bronze bust of Puskas in the village centre - I think the mayor is a huge Foci fan.

From what I heard, with my daughter playing there, youth development has been greatly improved and the youth teams have been doing well so perhaps things are looking up for the future - wish I could say the same about Scotland
Scotland has quite a promising bunch of youngsters at the moment with young Ryan Gauld who has just moved to Sporting Lisbon being the pick of the bunch. How they progress remains to be seen but they are not wanting for talent at an under 21 level
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:38 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llareggub
Scotland has quite a promising bunch of youngsters at the moment with young Ryan Gauld who has just moved to Sporting Lisbon being the pick of the bunch. How they progress remains to be seen but they are not wanting for talent at an under 21 level
Wow that's encouraging, after the whole Rangers fiasco I had given up hope on Scottish football!
Old Jul 13th 2014, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

So who do we reckon, I called a Germany Argentina final and my head is saying Germany but I have a sneaking suspicion Argentina will nick it, their defence has been rock solid in the knock out rounds.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by llareggub
So who do we reckon, I called a Germany Argentina final and my head is saying Germany but I have a sneaking suspicion Argentina will nick it, their defence has been rock solid in the knock out rounds.
I would like Argentina to win, only because everyone I have spoken with seems to be so sure Germany will win. This has nothing to do with my knowledge of footie as I have none (the last time I watched a game Gazza was playing ) but if there is ever an 'underdog'...I like to back them.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Well they should be well ahead will they rue missed opportunities? Who knows! Great game of footie though!
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Argentina missed too many goal scoring opportunities. I have never seen Lionel Messi play so badly. He just didn't seem to have as much motivation as the Germans to win. Or in short he got snuffed out by the German defence.

Football is only going to be missing from our screen for a few more weeks then the whole football season starts all over again.

Good luck to Louis Van Gaal ..... Man Utd's new manager. They have already sold 55,000 season tickets and they are not even in the Champions or Europa League this coming season!
Old Jul 14th 2014, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Football is only going to be missing from our screen for a few more weeks then the whole football season starts all over again.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:20 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger

Arggg, the new season.... DD has a few weeks training with Charlton coming up and with that, her current training and local team, I could be looking at 5 days a week of football - not sure I'm that committed!
Old Nov 23rd 2014, 7:54 am
I bite my thumb at thee

England v Germany today at Wembley! 55,000 tickets sold, going to be an amazing atmosphere and what a historic event - first time the England women's team have played at Wembley
Old Mar 1st 2015, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

World Cup 2022 - can anyone believe what the FIFA are doing ..... turning all the European football clubs season upside down by having the World Cup in November-December with the final two days before christmas. I just don't understand why they chose Qatar which is far too hot almost all year round to play football. It will be the first time the World Cup takes place in Winter instead of Summer (from European perspective as it's the other way round beyond the equator??).
Old May 30th 2015, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

It was fun reading all this when I stumbled on this thread ...

What hasn't been mentioned (wonder why?) about the glorious years of Hungarian football:

Puskás was born as Franz Purczeld in Budapest and brought up in Kispest, then a suburb, today part of the city. His father, Franz (Ferenc) Sr. was a Danube Swabian of German ethnicity, who Magyarized his family surname to Puskás in 1937
Ferenc Puskás - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old May 31st 2015, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wolfi
It was fun reading all this when I stumbled on this thread ...

What hasn't been mentioned (wonder why?) about the glorious years of Hungarian football:

Ferenc Puskás - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have a replicated Hungarian football shirt worn around Ferenc Puskas time. Unfortunately I don't wear it anymore in Hungary because of the badge which includes a sickle.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have the slightest interest in football but was slightly saddened today to notice that they are no longer mowing the whole football pitch in my village. There is an area of about a quarter of the total pitch that the kids use to have a kick about and they now seem to only be mowing that bit. It just seems like another nail in the coffin of village community spirit.