British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Woodworm (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/woodworm-894258/)

enter Mar 22nd 2017 3:02 pm

Woodworm

Anyone know of an effective treatment liquid/spray to halt the infestation that you can buy over here (Hungary)

Jerseygirl Mar 22nd 2017 3:16 pm

Re: Woodworm

I have moved your post into a new thread so it will not get overlooked in an existing thread.

Szeged Mar 22nd 2017 5:01 pm

You need to search for Farontó Bogarak (which I have done for you ;)) - Termékek

Remember to sand down, etc the bad surface area(s) first, especially if the area was previously treated and/or lacquered, otherwise these sprays and paints wont work.

enter Mar 22nd 2017 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Szeged (Post 12210499)
You need to search for Farontó Bogarak (which I have done for you ;)) - Termékek

Remember to sand down, etc the bad surface area(s) first, especially if the area was previously treated and/or lacquered, otherwise these sprays and paints wont work.

Great thanks!

Peter_in_Hungary Mar 23rd 2017 8:17 am

Is the woodworm active? (Fine dust can be seen having come from the flight holes) If it is not active then it is generally considered not necessary to apply treatment, just maintain a watching brief.

Woodworm and other timber attacking insects need moist wood in order to survive. A moisture content of less that 11% will not normally get infected as there will not be sufficient moisture for the bugs to survive. Normally infestation will take place within the early years of a buildings life and once a building has been around for more than 15 - 20 years timbers will have dried out to the point that infestation is unlikely to occur. (the same applies to fungal attacks)

So IMO unless the evidence shows that the woodworm is active then there is no need to treat the timber, just keep an eye on the situation.

enter Mar 23rd 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12210964)
Is the woodworm active? (Fine dust can be seen having come from the flight holes) If it is not active then it is generally considered not necessary to apply treatment, just maintain a watching brief.

Woodworm and other timber attacking insects need moist wood in order to survive. A moisture content of less that 11% will not normally get infected as there will not be sufficient moisture for the bugs to survive. Normally infestation will take place within the early years of a buildings life and once a building has been around for more than 15 - 20 years timbers will have dried out to the point that infestation is unlikely to occur. (the same applies to fungal attacks)

So IMO unless the evidence shows that the woodworm is active then there is no need to treat the timber, just keep an eye on the situation.

Timbers (pigsty)have been around for at least 50 years and I cannot see any dust just the small holes in the roofing beams,ventilated and dry, so I assume there is no need for treatment except keeping my eye on it ?

Pica Mar 23rd 2017 3:39 pm

Place some clean white paper under the holes, if you find sawdust the worms are still active. We tried in vain to treat woodworm in a huge oak table made many years ago and failed miserably. We shortened the length of the table and put the cut off bits wrapped in bags in the freezer for 12 months. Left the bags out of the freezer for a few months and on opening the bags we found sawdust!! The table now lives outside on the terrace.

Peter_in_Hungary Mar 24th 2017 9:21 am

Originally Posted by enter (Post 12211264)
Timbers (pigsty)have been around for at least 50 years and I cannot see any dust just the small holes in the roofing beams,ventilated and dry, so I assume there is no need for treatment except keeping my eye on it ?

What Pica said about the white paper - and to make sure that the timbers are still structurally doing the job asked of them.

enter Mar 24th 2017 3:29 pm

Thank you all for the input which will help others i'm sure