Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Wooden flooring.

Wooden flooring.

Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough
Default Wooden flooring.

I'm wanting to put oak floorboards down in my house. Can anyone recommend a good supplier?

They don't necessarily have to be oak. I'm midway between Nagykanizsa and Zalaegerszeg.

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 4:17 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wooden flooring.

The wood merchant in Nagy is probably handiest, they sell different grades of wood and you can inspect it before choosing it and having it planed. The top grade is expensive and most of it sent to Italy.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that. Do you have a name and/or address for them?
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

You may find you can't get tongue and groove, just planks. I'm just doing a new wooden floor and both the old stuff I'm removing and the new are planks. It would be worth trying the place that supplied my wood as the guy speaks some English:

Fakereskedes, Alkotmany ut 53, Nagykanizsa-Palin.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 6:37 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shotgun
Thanks for that. Do you have a name and/or address for them?
Give him a phone when you're here and he'll point you in the right direction as there are two places to go to in Nagy, one being the place he got the boards for the user Fidobsa from and another which might be worth taking a look at depending on what you are after.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Are you looking for solid wood or 'engineered wood'? We found that solid wood is rarely seasoned enough to avoid shrinkage, especially if you have central heating, and after a few years gaps appear between the boards.
Just outside Zalahaláp (near Tapolca, despite its name!) there is a parquet factory that makes laminated hardwood flooring that comes ready finished, that is lacquered ready to lay. They sell from the factory.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:44 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
We found that solid wood is rarely seasoned enough to avoid shrinkage, especially if you have central heating, and after a few years gaps appear between the boards.
That's why I like the place just outside Nagykanizsa, not the one in Palin, as they have stacks and stacks of well seasoned hardwood - you can tell it's well seasoned just by looking at it, you choose the pieces you want and they cut and plane it to size - bit more expensive but worth it, I think.
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Are you looking for solid wood or 'engineered wood'? We found that solid wood is rarely seasoned enough to avoid shrinkage, especially if you have central heating, and after a few years gaps appear between the boards.
Just outside Zalahaláp (near Tapolca, despite its name!) there is a parquet factory that makes laminated hardwood flooring that comes ready finished, that is lacquered ready to lay. They sell from the factory.
Solid or engineered, either is okay. I don't want laminated 'click' flooring, though.