Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Winter fuel allowance from UK

Winter fuel allowance from UK

Old Feb 25th 2014, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Winter fuel allowance from UK

For those who may not know you can now claim the winter fuel allowance even if you are resident in Hungary, if you were born before 5th Jan 1952 and you have a substantial connection with the UK' (I think that means if you will get a UK state pension) Claims have to be received 31st March. Go to https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-to-claim for the details

This is a change in the rules as previously you only got the allowance if you were in the UK when the allowance could start for you, also living in warm countries dis-allows but no problems there for Hungary.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter fuel allowance from UK

Thanks for the information Peter. I didn't know they'd changed the rules.

I was born before Jan 5 1952 and I do get a UK State Pension. As to the "substantial connection with the UK" I assume the fact that I was born there,worked, paid tax and NHI contributions will be sufficient?

I'm confused though about the statement ... "You normally live in the UK throughout the week of 26 to 22 September 2013"! What on earth does it mean? I've searched online to find an explaination and found nothing.

Has anyone any ideas?
Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
For those who may not know you can now claim the winter fuel allowance even if you are resident in Hungary, if you were born before 5th Jan 1952 and you have a substantial connection with the UK' (I think that means if you will get a UK state pension) Claims have to be received 31st March. Go to https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment/how-to-claim for the details

This is a change in the rules as previously you only got the allowance if you were in the UK when the allowance could start for you, also living in warm countries dis-allows but no problems there for Hungary.
You've been able to do that for a number of years, HOWEVER the UK government is stopping the payement to UK pensioners living outside the UK, but in the EU, if the country has a higher average winter temp than the UK. Not sure if this will impact Hungary, but certainly all the med coast countries will lose it.
Old Feb 27th 2014, 7:14 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You've been able to do that for a number of years, HOWEVER the UK government is stopping the payement to UK pensioners living outside the UK, but in the EU, if the country has a higher average winter temp than the UK. Not sure if this will impact Hungary, but certainly all the med coast countries will lose it.
all this week at 7am London has been 8c whilst we have been 2c or lower

this is a Winter fuel allowance not a Summer allowance, and what happens when those in Germany remain eligible but not those living half way up a mountain in Spain, Italy etc

all the rhetoric has been aimed at Spain and rarely aimed at any other countries - but considering the weather in Northern Spain, sitting on the Bay of Biscay is worse than most parts of London. (and don't tell me about the floods - that is due to mismanagement and defective planning constraints)
Old Feb 28th 2014, 2:23 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

For reasons pointed out in previous posts, surely it should be the regional average temp that applies!
Old Mar 1st 2014, 8:12 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
For reasons pointed out in previous posts, surely it should be the regional average temp that applies!
define region - that surely could be a difficult one to work out
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

In the past if someone was eligible for the winter fuel allowance before they left England they continued to be eligible, however following a ruling by the EU in late 2012 or early 2013 (I can’t find the exact date) the Winter Fuel Payments regulations were amended from 16 September 2013 such that those who left the UK before qualifying can now claim. The age at which you can claim for both men and women is linked to the UK state pension age for women. (ever increasing for reasons of equality!!) Basically for men and women it is the first winter after women's pension age. Eligibility for a WFA is linked to eligibility for a UK state pension

From 2015, a new “temperature link” will mean that the WFP is no longer payable to people living in Cyprus, France, Gibraltar, Greece, Malta, Portugal or Spain so the temperature link is not regional but national. based on these countries having a higher winter average temp than the warmest part of the UK (the south west)
(France and Spain excluded - Italy in, please don't shoot the messenger!!)

Health warning - this is not meant to be definitive, rather my understanding of the new regs.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem odd that France is excluded, as I would have thought more of the country gets cold winters than warm winters.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
It does seem odd that France is excluded, as I would have thought more of the country gets cold winters than warm winters.
I think that was something to do with France having dependent territories that are nice and warm.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:25 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
define region - that surely could be a difficult one to work out
By county would be more fair than by country as a whole but then when was common sense ever part of regulations such as these.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

France not only has departments in mainland France (Europe) but also has the overseas departments (DOM) of Guadeloupe, Martinique and Guyane in the Caribbean as well as La Reunion and Mayotte in the Indian Ocean. All five countries belong to the EU and the Euro is the common currency.

I worked in Mayotte for several years and had the same rights as I would have in any other EU country. Because Mayotte is near the equator the temperature never drops below 30C!

I still can't find what the statement "You normally live in the UK throughout the week of 16 to 22 September" means. Are all we State pensioners who are eligible for the allowance supposed to rush back to the UK every September when the cost of doing so would be considerably more than the amount we'd get?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 10:15 am
I bite my thumb at thee

It appears that you have to be in the UK that week though how they could check this for every application is beyond me.
The main criteria appears to be the "link" to the UK and on this, from reading different sites, nobody is clear on the meaning of this.

There are several threads on the site relating to the WFA, mainly in the Spanish section. Go to the main European page here on the right hand side you will see a search box "search this forum", click it and enter WFA eligibility and you should find several links.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sachina
I still can't find what the statement "You normally live in the UK throughout the week of 16 to 22 September" means. Are all we State pensioners who are eligible for the allowance supposed to rush back to the UK every September when the cost of doing so would be considerably more than the amount we'd get?
If you are in the EU then you do not nave to rush back to the UK for the relevant week!! However if you are in hospital or prison (and some other places) for the relevant week then you miss out for that year. I presume that if you were outside the EU during the relevant week then you would also miss out that year. I applied for my WFA in November and I got it a couple of weeks ago. There was no question about being in the UK but the form is specific to those living outside the UK BUT within the EU

My understanding of a 'link to the UK' is that you have a record of NI contributions or receive a UK state pension but I can't find a definition