Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Wine cottage- no address

Wine cottage- no address

Old Jun 1st 2017, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Spinders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wine cottage- no address

Has anyone bought a wine cottage without an address?
Was wondering how you get around this for receiving post?
Also any other info/advice for someone moving to Hungary 🇭🇺 thanks 🙏🏻
Old Jun 1st 2017, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wine cottage- no address

You will have to talk to the post office, there are 2 options, the first is to have a PO box at the local post office, the other, if the post office will do it, is to have the post delivered to the plot number registered in land office, (the plot number can be used as the address) which will get the post delivered to your wine cellar location. The problem is that I do not know if the post office will do this for any location or just permanent dwellings and businesses, you would have to ask them.

If the wine cellar is at the back of beyond, up an unmade road I suspect the PO will decline - so you would be left with a PO box.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

In our village there are several huts/houses in the "Zárkert" which now have addresses - but the postman doesn't come to them, too far for him.
They have postboxes at the corner of the main road and the dirt road that leads up there. Maybe this could work for you too?
On the other hand:
Living here you need an address afaik - does your house have an address, i e a street and house no?
Old Jun 1st 2017, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
You will have to talk to the post office, there are 2 options, the first is to have a PO box at the local post office, the other, if the post office will do it, is to have the post delivered to the plot number registered in land office, (the plot number can be used as the address) which will get the post delivered to your wine cellar location. The problem is that I do not know if the post office will do this for any location or just permanent dwellings and businesses, you would have to ask them.

If the wine cellar is at the back of beyond, up an unmade road I suspect the PO will decline - so you would be left with a PO box.
Thanks for the reply Peter
The previous owner has said I could pay to have post box at his (25'000)huf per year.
But wondered if there are alternatives, my cottage is on a road just outside a village so not too bad. I shall look into post office idea thanks xx
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wolfi
In our village there are several huts/houses in the "Zárkert" which now have addresses - but the postman doesn't come to them, too far for him.
They have postboxes at the corner of the main road and the dirt road that leads up there. Maybe this could work for you too?
On the other hand:
Living here you need an address afaik - does your house have an address, i e a street and house no?
This is a possibility, no house number just a road name....
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spinders
This is a possibility, no house number just a road name....
I have known several addresses that have used the road name and the Land Office plot number (helyrajzi szám) in lieu of a house number
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I would be more concerned about how to get residency if you intend to live there full time. It is good that you have a road name though, some roads are not named / numbered.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I was thinking about that too, residency without a valid address?
Of course if you keep yoor home and are here "just for holiday" then that's ok. Many Austrians e g do it they're her for a week or a month in summer and then return. Afaik there's atime limit from which you need a residency - just found it:

3 months - for EU citizen in another EU country. After that ...

Registering your residence abroad - Your Europe
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Then there is a matter of address and supporting yourself. Example: If you get a job, the employer would require a proper address as opposed to "that tree house near the river", which in turn would need to be satisfied by the immigration office. So I would recommend speaking to the immigration office first, especially as you will need to notify them of your existence before the end of your natural 90 days allowance; if you decide to stay longer.

If you are doing any kind of business in Hungary of course, the immigration issue would need sorting out anyway.

One thought that did come to mind is - Have you asked, the land registry for example, if you could somehow have a proper address associated with the wine cottage? A kind of psuedo address (i.e. Dave's Cottage!!, Countryside Lane, Hungary.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

And you need an (acceptable) address if you want to own a car here - otherwise the authorities can't send you road tax demands and parking fines.
As far as I know you can't own a Hungarian car without a Hungarian residence, but you can be resident in two or more countries at once.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Ask the postmaster ? Head for the Post Office with a Hungarian speaker and start asking questions. It could be an interesting experience.