Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Where are you all ! ?

Where are you all ! ?

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of
Default Re: Where are you all ! ?

Hi All,
Just moved back to Budapest after 3 years in Spain. Little bit of a culture shock! Weather and food being obvious, but its really the attitude of the peeps here. Possessing a sort of grey pessimism in contrast to the optimistic Spanish. Funnily enough we live next door to a tapas bar on the Buda side.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:53 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Littlelambfound, welcome back

Coincidentally, we had a discussion on this subject with our dinner guests yesterday, they themselves having lived in Lanzarote for many years. Hungarians, understandably to some extent, do not seem to have the zest for life that, from our experience, the Spanish, Italians and Bulgarians have. A friend of ours from Budapest has cited it as one of her main reasons for hoping to immigrate this year. Their pessimism reminds me in many ways of the Irish - even after the boom of the Celtic Tiger.....
Old Jan 14th 2012, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

tarakay is an unknown quantity at this point

In UK at moment, but planning to be back in Hungary in the early spring. I am interested in information about phone and internet info. We have a house about 20 mins from Tihany. I have looked on various web sites but cannot find any definitive information about either. Is there anybody in this part of Lake Balaton who could help?
Old Jan 14th 2012, 6:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tarakay and welcome back

If you go to this page and look about 2 inches down on the righthand side of the page, you will see a link "search this forum" using the search facility will allow you to find the information you are looking

Hope this helps
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by judybaby
When we get over there full time early 2012 we'll be not far from you too!
Will let you know when we get there and we could meet up for a coffee.
Hi Judy,

We are back in Hungary now. If you would like to meet up sometime please PM me.

All the best
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 9:07 am
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi LittleLambFound. I was at that very Tapas bar on Saturday! I had just returned from a holiday in Barcelona. Coming back to Budapest was not exactly inspiring. My Kids now say that they want to live in Barcelona.... The grass is always greener. I was struck by how much more graffiti there is on the buses here as opposed to Barcelona. Oh and the miserable faces- but as someone who people seem to love saying "cheer up, no one has died" I cannot cast aspersions.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Evie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really nice

Hi everyone......Just to say, we have now made our move from Dalyan,Turkey to Gelse. A lovely village between Kezsthely and Nagykanizsa. Lots to do in the garden, but it`s great : even our two adopted, Turkish, `street cats` have settled well. Also, a HUGE thank you to BalatoBase (sorry,not sure if that`s classed as advertising)...we couldn`t have done it without them.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

Soproni is an unknown quantity at this point

First post. My Hungarian wife and I are based in her home town, Sopron. We're hoping to build our house on a hill (a strip of which was own via a wedding present) just outside Sopron, depending on what they decide with the building regulations (apparently it used to fall under the 3% rule, but pending changes [yet to be decided] no building can take place. We're still in saving mode anyway. Anyone else nr Sopron / know much about the changing building regulations?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is Hungarian and her family live in a village called Malyi, near Miskolc, to the North-Eastish (from my perspective). We're in UK at moment but planning to retire eventually to this area.
Would be nice to live near Balaton because I like sailing although I'm only a beginner. Still plenty of small lakes to test my sailing skills!
I've been told by my Hungarian relatives that more money seems to be invested in the western part of the country, especially nearer to Austria but this is probably because more money is spent around that area.
I wouldn't mind living in Soproni where I would be able to get the local beer on tap!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been but a Hungarian friend described Miskolc as "Possibly the worst city in Hungary". Perhaps you could compromise and find a place half way between Malyi and the lake?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

OGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really niceOGSG is just really nice

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I've never been but a Hungarian friend described Miskolc as "Possibly the worst city in Hungary". Perhaps you could compromise and find a place half way between Malyi and the lake?
I heard that about SiĆ³fok but I doubt the locals agree! Musn't generalise!
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I completely agree about Miskolc not being a pretty city! I find the blocks of flats an eyesore. If only they were painted green to blend in with the background or light blue with the sky they'd look a lot better!

I doubt the wife would want to live anywhere else! Think I'd be happy enough living in Malyi and I wouldn't allow the unpretty Miskolc city to spoil my time there!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:23 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Evie2
Hi everyone......Just to say, we have now made our move from Dalyan,Turkey to Gelse. A lovely village between Kezsthely and Nagykanizsa. Lots to do in the garden, but it`s great : even our two adopted, Turkish, `street cats` have settled well. Also, a HUGE thank you to BalatoBase (sorry,not sure if that`s classed as advertising)...we couldn`t have done it without them.
Just noticed this! Thanks, you are both more than welcome and it's a pleasure to have such a lovely couple living nearby - you were a godsend today :-) I instinctively knew the village would suit your needs and glad to see it working out.
See you soon.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:43 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Soproni
First post. My Hungarian wife and I are based in her home town, Sopron. We're hoping to build our house on a hill (a strip of which was own via a wedding present) just outside Sopron, depending on what they decide with the building regulations (apparently it used to fall under the 3% rule, but pending changes [yet to be decided] no building can take place. We're still in saving mode anyway. Anyone else nr Sopron / know much about the changing building regulations?
Hi, just spotted this post. Welcome to the forum and as concierge for the Hungarian forum, feel free to contact me should you have any questions or problems.

I haven't heard anything about changes in the building regs though I do know that the 3% rule can change from one municipality to another - as can the areas to which the rules apply. Does it come under the 3% rule because it is outwith the village plan or because it was part of a property on which there is already a building?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Soproni is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi, just spotted this post. Welcome to the forum and as concierge for the Hungarian forum, feel free to contact me should you have any questions or problems.

I haven't heard anything about changes in the building regs though I do know that the 3% rule can change from one municipality to another - as can the areas to which the rules apply. Does it come under the 3% rule because it is outwith the village plan or because it was part of a property on which there is already a building?
Hi Rural Hungary,

Thanks for your reply. The plot is marked as 'vines' at the moment and is outside Sopron. People could build 'fruit storer houses' [as my Hungarian wife calls them] on that kind of land under the 3% rule, but they've halted all permits now until they decide what to change the rules too. That decision keeps on getting pushed back. The rumour is that it will be the end of the year before any decision is made

I'm still in saving-up mode though, so can wait, although the old biological clock is ticking louder ...