Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

where is everyone

where is everyone

Old May 22nd 2010, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

hotpot will become famous soon enoughhotpot will become famous soon enough
Default where is everyone

where is everyone it has gone very quiet on here. i know we have had bad weather but i am sure someone has something to talk about.

ok lets get us started are all you budding cooks including the men now cooking more hungarian meals than english based meals.

must admit in the winter we still have our sunday roast. and i am using a lot more river fish instead of frozen sea fish. but on average i think i have made the transition to about 50% english and 50% hungarian.

is anyone doing better than me.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:37 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where is everyone

where are we? dealing with the darned bindweed!

Seriously though, we have been meeting a lot of new Brits, several from this forum and have enjoyed a few nights out with them lately.

Funnily enough, I was talking about fish the other day as I just can't get used to the lake fish; tastes too "muddy" and well, it's Pikeperch. In Scotland you catch Perch in the canal (not nice) and Pike was/is a predator that we fisher people despised. The frozen fish here is, in my opinion, not worth bothering with and the yearning for some fresh, decent seafood has me seriously considering a trip to the Croatian coast to stock up

Regards cooking, I still cook a lot of Indian, Moroccan and Scottish dishes, though I now use paprika more often and less beef; as comparatively it is much more expensive than other meats here. Oh, all this talk of food is making me hungry
Old May 26th 2010, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

hi rural

we have found a very good frozen fish, ok its not cod but iy is very tasty.
its called pengasius halfile and produced by delforo. its in a bag with a mainly blue sea background with a plate of fish on it. it also costs a bit more than the other fish but you get 5 large fillits in and costs around 1600 ft but when it is on offer we get several packs.

it really is nice with your own batter,chips and lots of mushy peas.
i get mine from interspar but i believe tescos have it as well. (sorry i wont go to tescos unless i am really desperate)
Old May 26th 2010, 9:21 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hotpot, Interspar is one place that I haven't tried as I honestly gave up after several horrid experiences. We have 3 or 4 half used bags of fish in the freezer from Tesco, Lidls and a Croatian supermarket in Zagreb! I am in town tonight so will have a look for it and let you know how I get on.
Old May 26th 2010, 9:24 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Oh no, I just made the fatal error of googling what type of fish it was.... Catfish
Old May 26th 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

rural dont worry about the name its the taste. huss is also known as dog fish.
monk fish and sword fish are also lovely but we never worry about their names.
tell you what if you buy some call it linda or margaret before you cook it.
Old May 28th 2010, 7:32 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

I'm going to buy some and try it out on the rest of the family If I can get my head around it, I will give it a go. I'm funny about food at times. Can butcher a pig and even cook the head but I can't eat rabbit, struggle to eat duck and shy away from game birds. Will let you know how I get on.
Old May 29th 2010, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

dont forget to do your own mushy peas if you like them. sot quite the same as tinned ones but very good.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:43 am
Just Joined

tmbp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hotpot
hi rural

we have found a very good frozen fish, ok its not cod but iy is very tasty.
its called pengasius halfile and produced by delforo. its in a bag with a mainly blue sea background with a plate of fish on it. it also costs a bit more than the other fish but you get 5 large fillits in and costs around 1600 ft but when it is on offer we get several packs.

it really is nice with your own batter,chips and lots of mushy peas.
i get mine from interspar but i believe tescos have it as well. (sorry i wont go to tescos unless i am really desperate)
Hello.
We purchase some cod at the METRO. 2kg for 2000 HUF. Very large fillets, and the skin removed, and VERY TASTY too!!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 8:58 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Hi Tom and welcome to the BE Hungarian forums.

We have a Welcome Inn forum here, where you can introduce yourself, alternativley you can start a thred on the Hungarian froum just to say Hi and perhaps where you are from etc etc.

If you need any assistance in using the forums there is always a Super Moderator, Moderator or Concierge about, you can find out more here

Where is the nearest Metro? As they usually have a great variety of fish and shell fish, perhaps if someone uses it regularly, they could take orders
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:03 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
thred on the Hungarian froum
Or perhaps even a thread on the Hungarian forum

Which Metro do you use Tom and do you go there often?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

tmbp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Or perhaps even a thread on the Hungarian forum

Which Metro do you use Tom and do you go there often?
Hello RH,
We use the one in Menfocsanak - near Gyor. Maybe we do a big shop once a month.