Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

What's the cheapest you could buy a place & live in Hungary? In 2018

What's the cheapest you could buy a place & live in Hungary? In 2018

Old Aug 24th 2018, 12:19 pm
Banned

Pilis Nemzeti Park Fella is on a distinguished road
Default What's the cheapest you could buy a place & live in Hungary? In 2018

I reckon it's well under £10,000 minimum but you'd better count on a wee bit more. You'd have to compromise on standards but if you were happy to live a bit rough, no problemo.

Eg 1. We have a plot of land with a half-built house on it. It cost about HUF 1.5 m (under £5K) 15 years ago, the land is 1000 sq m, no water or electricity/ gas (I did say compromise). The neighbours get their water from the sky but there is electricity available to tap into. Or you could go solar + batteries; or small generator.

To bring the house up to liveable standards wouldn't take much, either doing it yourself or employing a couple of lads, maybe £5-10K.

Eg 2. You can buy a 'weekend house' in our home village - which would typically be 1000 sq m garden & a wooden shack/ modest house for about HUF 8-10 m (say, £25K). People do live in them permanently, mostly pensioners out to grass. They usually have a wood burner for winter heat, gas & electricity & water.

Perfectly comfortable living & quality of life, no need to pay UK prices.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the cheapest you could buy a place & live in Hungary? In 2018

The location and the neighbours in the vicinity count for a lot in Hungary....care has to be taken !!

Infrastructure will be expensive and it OK using rain water (shouldn't be used as potable water) but when it's 30+ deg. and it hasn't rained for 8 or 10 weeks using bottled water from the supermarket looses its charm.
Old Aug 24th 2018, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the cheapest you could buy a place & live in Hungary? In 2018

Depends. We found a brick and concrete house with a bit of forest and decent outbuildings for HUF7 million. A bit lucky though as prices havestarted to get a little silly over the last year, people paying HUF10 million plus for Valyog houses. I think it is the money you will have to spend to get them up to scratch. Yes, bottled water gets old quite quickly.

I have got used to having no-one within a minimum of 300m. Brilliant!
Old Aug 24th 2018, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a house on just over half an acre of land in a very pretty village for HUF 1.5 million eleven years ago. It had no bathroom or kitchen but did have mains water and gas in the house. It cost around £20000 to renovate and install full central heating and wood burning stoves and have the land cleared.

The houses either side of me, both with the same sized plot as mine were sold last year for HUF1 million each, but although they have mains water outside it's not in the houses, and neither of them have gas laid to their land.

It's still possible though to buy a house in my local town for under £30000

Old Aug 26th 2018, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

heli2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

£2000 if you want to do most of it yourself and live basic whilst doing it up £6000 average with gas elec and water connected