British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   WEEDS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/weeds-934094/)

enter Jul 31st 2020 4:48 pm

WEEDS

Is this a weed please??

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...6d252fbc77.jpg

Benny Kovacs Jul 31st 2020 5:13 pm

Re: WEEDS

This is up to you. A weed is only a plant/flower that you don't want growing where it is.

If you like it there then it's a plant, if you don't like it it's a weed and get rid of it.

If it spreads and becomes a nuisance then get rid of it.

You never know, you might enjoy the flowers later in the year.

Peter_in_Hungary Jul 31st 2020 5:41 pm

It is a weed and it is proscribed. The Hungarian name is parlagfű in LatinAmbrosia artemisiifolia, in English Common ragweed.

The pollen can be devastating for those with any tendency towards hay-fever

You can be fined for allowing it to grow.

It only grows on disturbed soil and the seeds will be good for about 25 years waiting for the soil to be disturbed.

enter Jul 31st 2020 5:57 pm

Thank you

Benny Kovacs Jul 31st 2020 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary (Post 12890406)
You can be fined for allowing it to grow.

Seriously?
Wow, you learn something new every day.
Is there somewhere where we can find out which weeds we need to eradicate to avoid fines and aggravating the neighbours hay fever?

When living in Germany I was careful not to hang out the laundry on weekends and things like that but I never knew in Hungary they have fines for weeds.

hobgoblins Jul 31st 2020 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs (Post 12890413)
When living in Germany I was careful not to hang out the laundry on weekends .

To use your word ... seriously ?? Who dreamed that rule up and why ... !!!

Jack_Russells4ever Jul 31st 2020 6:27 pm

I was informed that its not allowed to strim, mow or use a chainsaw on Sunday. I guess it was never told to my neighbors, they all do it. I think many of these rules (laws) are not enforced. Ragweed and stinging nettle grow in our area and we were told it is a fineable offense to allow them to grow also. I think many of the edicts are local village rules. They certainly are not enforced around our area.

PaulinEger Aug 1st 2020 9:38 am

I read an article a couple of weeks ago on a Hungarian news portal about ragweed and how they are going to start clamping down nationwide with fines of up to 5 million forints for those who allow it to grow. There is a field full of it near our house and when we mentioned it at the hivatal a few years ago we were told by the mayoress that it wasn't ragweed, it just looked like it,. I later found out that the field was owned by her husband.
Edit: I've just searched and found some recent articles on heol.hu. Apparently, last year in Heves county (where I live), the authorities fined 260 individuals a total of 20 million forints for not eradicating ragweed on the land. The minimum fine is 15,000ft.

jetsam1 Aug 1st 2020 9:18 pm

Parlag Fu. Kill it. Kill it fast.

FIRE!

Maybe that would be too much, but get it cut back hard as it is awful for allergies.

Oh and I use chainsaws and big petrol powered strimmers on Sundays and no-one has ever cared. Maybe in RICH Buda........ But I am in rural country.

Peter_in_Hungary Aug 2nd 2020 7:34 am

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever (Post 12890429)
I was informed that its not allowed to strim, mow or use a chainsaw on Sunday. I guess it was never told to my neighbors, they all do it. I think many of these rules (laws) are not enforced. Ragweed and stinging nettle grow in our area and we were told it is a fineable offense to allow them to grow also. I think many of the edicts are local village rules. They certainly are not enforced around our area.

Hungary has the equivalent of local by-laws e.g.when you can light a garden bonfire so best to check if you are worried. Generally the enforcement is fairly loose to non existent - unless a complaint is made when the first action is usually a polite request with stronger action following if the complaints and the offense continue.

wolfi Aug 2nd 2020 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Benny Kovacs (Post 12890413)
Seriously?
When living in Germany I was careful not to hang out the laundry on weekends and things like that but I never knew in Hungary they have fines for weeds.

The rules are very strict in Germany re "unnecessary noise" because people want it to be quiet - in the night from 10 pm, on Sundays and official holidays and on weekdays from 12.30 to 14.00 (or something similar).
If you don't follow those rules, like using your lawnmower at 1 pm the police will come or the "Ordnungsamt" and fine you.
Even in my hometown Tübingen, a small city with 28 000 students however - if you are noisy in the city center after 10 pm you'll have to pay. There are big signs for this ....
In Hungary there's no problem with noise on weekends unless it's a commercial activity but with starting a fire to burn dry wood and weeds eg.
In the village were we lived near Hévíz fire was only allowed on Friday afternoon. Don't know yet what the rules are here but we have really nice neighbours so we'll ask them first.
Since most people in Hungary have to work long hours and maybe a second job they only have time for some activities at home on Sundays like cutting wood with their saw etc.
That's also the probable reason why everybody got really angry when the government made a law which forced Tesco etc to stay closed on Sundays - that was annulled really fast.
PS re weeds etc:
The city/village will send you a command to clear your weeds including the akacia trees - if you don't then they'll send some workers and you get a bill.
if you don't pay that then the money (plus interest ...) will be put in the documentation at the "földhivatal" (Grundbuch) so you can't sell it before paying ...

Benny Kovacs Aug 3rd 2020 1:28 am

Originally Posted by wolfi (Post 12891124)
The city/village will send you a command to clear your weeds including the akacia trees

Those things are awful. We had a couple of dozen in our garden when we bought the house. I dug a few out but it was like playing whack-a-mole, as soon as I disturbed the roots suddenly in another part of the garden what appeared to be dead stumps which somebody had set fire to years ago sprang back to life.
Liberal amounts of industrial strength herbicide and a JCB to pull all the root systems out seems to have done the trick for now. However, these things line the fields and roads for miles around so no doubt some will make their way in. Plus I read somewhere that root systems can lay dormant for 40 years if undisturbed.

scrubbedexpat142 Aug 7th 2020 9:00 am

Big signs warning of the weed have just gone up in our district.