Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Weed Control Around My New Hedge Ideas

Weed Control Around My New Hedge Ideas

Old Sep 12th 2022, 6:05 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weed Control Around My New Hedge Ideas

This past Spring I had 172 Pyracantha plants installed along the perimeter of my back garden. Before I had the planting done I had 1 year aged composted horse manure with straw mixed into the soil along the fence. The plants are doing extremely well and unfortunately so are the weeds. My idea is to have installed a geo textile fabric around the plants and cover that with small crushed gravel about 5-6 cm layer. Will this work or do I need to use an actual wood type mulch? The reason I am considering stone is because it will last much longer than wood. Presently I have had cardboard placed around part of the hedge and covered it with grass clippings and it has helped but the weeds are still thriving.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weed Control Around My New Hedge Ideas

The problem with manure and straw is that it contains a lot of weed seeds which grow unless it is composted properly to a high temperature to kill the seeds. The Pyracantha are quick growing so you should get ground cover soon which will stop the weeds growing, meanwhile if the cardboard and grass cuttings are working to an extent then perhaps more grass cuttings will solve the problem otherwise I would put wood chippings down without the geo-textile as by the time the wood chippings rot away there should be enough ground cover from the Pyracantha to solve the problem.
Old Sep 13th 2022, 12:14 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peter for your response. I agree with you about the manure and straw. I personally tended to it during its fermentation period and it was very hot temperature wise and spraying it down a couple times a week with water I did. I think the weeds came from the garden already because this space had been left neglected for years before I purchased it and there was a lot of mostly stinging nettle, plus some nightshade plants and ragweed everywhere and almost no grass before . The compost was fully mature when I had it worked into the soil. The cardboard and grass clippings have slowed down the weeds and likely as you say the pyracantha will overtake the weeds in time. I will probably just get wood chippings and if not a problem place them over the existing cardboard and grass clippings. This cardboard is already starting to break donw as is the grass clippings. Once again thanks for your response.
Old Sep 14th 2022, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

In UK I often saw weed control fabric covering large areas. I'm not an expert on gardening! The middle of our UK garden had gravel with weed control fabric underneath. I'm not sure how this will affect your hedge because some fabric prevents water getting through. I've no idea of the cost to cover the full length of the hedge. As Péter says once the hedge grows it should block sunlight so the weeds won't grow again so you can use the fabric for another area if needed. It will be a pain if you've put gravel or stones on top to remove!
I'm not a gardening expert so if above ianother a good idea I apologise!
Old Sep 14th 2022, 9:32 am
Banned

Hey Nick thanks for your reply. The landscape fabric I was considering is not the stuff with the slick coated mesh but another product more like acloth. I think I will just do as Peter suggested and use the money for something else I would have spent on the fabric and gravel.