Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

WE ARE THINKING OF MOVING TO HUNGARY

WE ARE THINKING OF MOVING TO HUNGARY

Old Sep 16th 2010, 11:49 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WE ARE THINKING OF MOVING TO HUNGARY

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Hi Brumyam

Would you mind taking your caps lock off when you post please
Many thanks

(are you a fellow brummie!)
You beat me to it
One of the children just commented, "mum, why is that person shouting at you all the time, have you upset them?"
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

BRUMYAM is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry if i have offended anyone by writing with my caps on !!! it is something i do all the time, i even write letters in capitals !! so once again im very sory hope you all forgive me !! poeple who know me are used to it by now and find it strange if i wrote any diffrent
sorry
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRUMYAM
sorry if i have offended anyone by writing with my caps on !!! it is something i do all the time, i even write letters in capitals !! so once again im very sory hope you all forgive me !! poeple who know me are used to it by now and find it strange if i wrote any diffrent
sorry
You haven't offended anyone and you dont need to say sorry
But are you a Brummy then?
Old Sep 16th 2010, 12:20 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BRUMYAM
sorry
No offence taken, it's just my children are used to me opening my mouth and offending people, especially online where the written word can often be misinterpreted

Well back to French!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

yes i am a brummie i have lived here all my live, but i do belive it is time to get away now before this country gets any worse than it is already !! it is getting so expensive to live here now. i belive you need to be rich or claiming dole from the goverment to live here now !!! and i am not rich and i will not sponge from anyone. i like to take my own path in life and my path as now come to an end in this country, we looked at bulgaria a few months ago. but after spending some time out there me and the wife both agreed the place was a total DUMP!! and to be totaly honest i would not let my dogs live there never mind myself or the wife, it was the worst place i have ever been and i have been all over europe many many times, i would not go back there on a all expenses paid holiday. england should send prisoners out there for punishment. it would stop people re-offending !! we also looked at france but house prices there have gone through the roof, so our interest turned to hungary as we have been there many times and alway's enjoyed or stay !! it was just not knowing anyone close there to call upon in a hour of need, but joining this forum as given us a lot of information and answered a lot of questions for us, myself or the wife can,t talk hungarian but we feel alot more comfortable now we have met up with all you guys on here. we cant wait for our next vist in december, i have had lots of property agents contacting me offering us houses or trips each one stating that they are the best, i know they are only doing there jobs but each day we must recive 10/20 emails asking for us to go with them & they can find us a house from as little as 6.000 euro with land for our dogs. i don,t know if this is true and houses are that cheap to buy !! ( maybe someone could let us know ) but we have decided to try to find our own property as we have been told that we would save a lot of money doing it this way !!
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well .... you have to try these things, otherwise you will never know.

I moved to Birmingham in the early 70's, and I like the place. I still have a place in the South of the city now (Moseley area). You'll read plenty of stuff on forums about people who have done it and regretted it, but also of those that have made a success

I've got to tell you that in most cases that people dont like it / dont stay, is that they are running away from something in the UK and thing its going to be different in another country. It's not always the case. I'm not saying that includes you at all .... I didnt leave the UK because I didnt like it .. I just wanted a change. It gave me a lot when I lived there, and I still think its a beautiful country

Living in Spain has its own set of challenges and problems. Theres still a lot that I disagree with here, but hey .. It's Spain

Go for it. Just research really really well, and dont think too badly of the UK
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Sounds as though you loved Bulgaria as much as we did! Which part did you go to?
Have you been to Hungary before? We got a train from Bulgaria to Hungary and after 3 months in Bulgaria thought we had landed in paradise

Regards property, you are better avoiding the agents who charge between 3 & 30%. Property for 6,000 euro is available but it will require complete renovation. An example is a property across the road from us currently for sale at approximately 4,000 euro but it needs everything done. There is another in our village which is for sale, it's 10,000 euro but still needs complete renovation, the difference is the second house is in slightly better condition (solid structure decent roof) has numerous outbuildings and one of the best views in the village. These are the prices direct from the owners, no agent fees or commissions, I dread to think what agents are selling for 6,000 euro!! I have a client who came over on a viewing trip and ended up buying a property near the Croatian border for 18,000 euro, the property has several serious problems and is actually worth around 8,000 euro!

I don't know whether you have your heart set on the Sopron area? If not it might be worth considering other areas, perhaps one with a few more English speakers as it can help to have contacts and support, especially when setting up a business.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Ester J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant future

Between the 15-20000 Euro you can find a house in a good state, with around the 2-3000 m2 own ground...from direct owner(s)

Ester J
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:28 pm
Account Closed

me and the wife have been to hungary a few times now and each time we find it more and more like a place were we could live, we have not set our minds on any area at all but we were told sopron was a nice place to live, we are keeping our minds open on the area as we need somewere that wouls accept our dogs !! but we did nor want to end up in a bad area. we would love to find a place in a good aread that would accept our dogs & there were english people not to far away, as we would need a friendly face when we first made the move. we don,t mind finding a house that needs work as long as it is not a rebuild, as lond as we could settle our dogs and had a place with water - electric - we hopefully could do the work as we went along, but i don,t want to buy a house and keep throwing money at it, as you hear some story's of people buying a home spending all there savings on it and then it as to be knocked down or falls down !!! i am not a dreamer and i do know that things will be hard when we first arrive, it is a whole new life in a new country, of course things will be hard, but so many people give up when thinds get hard and come back to the uk back into the rat race. just because they cant ride the strom for a while. me and thw wife have both said that we would not even consider coming home for atleast 3 years as we think it would take this long for us to settle in. we only have 1 life so i intend on doing most of what i can in mine !!! im now 41 and i don,t want to reach 60 as most do and say i wish i would have done this that or the other 20/25 years ago. 2 years ago i nearly died in hospital and from that moment i said to the wife that we should make the most of the time we have together, as we are only ever going to get older !!! i belive nothing in this life is handed to you on a plate you make your own choices. so far ive not done to bad i have 2 grown up sons, married my wife my soul mate !! and have my dogs, all i need now is a good house in hungary and i will be over the moon,
Old Sep 16th 2010, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Ester J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant futureEster J has a brilliant future

The decision you both have made is the right one, never wait till you are around the 60 if you can take this step now.
When we took the same decision 13 years ago, many people told us don`t do it...well till today we never regret it. Times changed in those years, more and more people can speak english especialy the upcoming generation,
Of course things will be hard in the beginning but you will also get a lot back ( for sure a less stressfull life ) and there are always people around you that can help you out.
Many people from abroad are living here and the most of them even if they are not from England can speak english.
Because the Huf is very low at the moment it is the right time to invest in property. If you ever need help you know how to find us, and I know for sure that more people on this forum are willing to help you both

Ester J
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Hi BRUMYAM,
If you don't mind me asking....will you be needing to work in Hungary?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

hopefully me and the wife will not be looking for work. but you never know if funds run dry then maybe one day we both may need to work.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

as i have said now for may weeks me and the wife are coming over to hungary in december, to have a very good look about and to see if we can find a nice area were we both would be happy to set up home. what i would like to know if anyone can help is are we better off waiting to exchange our money in hungary ? or get it changed here in the uk before we come over ? as when we went to bulgaria we got a lott better rate waiting and exchanging our money over there. any help would be most appriciated
Old Sep 20th 2010, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

Hello Brumyam

I was brought up in Birmingham (Sheldon) born in North East. We opened an account at OTP bank in Kesthely, need your passports /driving license. I do believe that they always offer one of the best exchange rates. Companies on tinternet will quote a rate but will charge commission so it is best to "shop around" lok @ "XE currency converter" on the web for a good guide to rates. OTP are an extremely helpfull bank with some |English speaking staff. We have now set up all direct debits for our House Tax/EON (gasand electric) water charges and charges will come out automatically so all you need to do is make sure enough is in the pot. The bank did most of the work for us,very good and have had excellent reviews in Hungary as one of the best. I hope this helps.
Richard
Old Sep 21st 2010, 12:46 am
Account Closed

hi richard thanks for your reply, you was only a few miles from us as we are in hall green near to the robin hood island (stratford rd). what a small world we live in !!! thanks for the information it is very helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.