Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Visitor from America

Visitor from America

Old Aug 31st 2023, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visitor from America

We had a Hungarian born visitor living in America here last Friday. She had flown over to attend her sister's son wedding and visited us with her sister. The visitor is a long time friend of my Hungarian wife who both met at their deaf boarding school in Budapest. She had visited us before in England.
For myself it was a good opportunity to ask some more detailed questions about how she has integrated into the American way of life, in particularly the deaf community. She admitted she had some problems with some members of the deaf community, which I have been having too. The main problem has been them wanting us to do what they want to do. When we put our foot down they get upset! One recent occasion I decided it was time my wife and I did our own thing, that being going out together as husband and wife, something we haven't done much of since we moved here. It was fifteen minutes before the conversation on that stopped! When I have suggested we do something I get a blank look!

Back to our visitor from America. Her now deceased Hungarian deaf husband used to make parts for NASA.

We went out for a meal at the local restaurant which had re-opened after several years of not being able to find a suitably qualified chef! All six of us had a superb meal. After a short pit-stop back at our place we went to Radio M Mályi Plázs at Mályi-to. Our visitor only wanted to have a look around but we were met with two unfriendly "security" staff at the entrance and they insisted our visitor and her sister paid the entrance fee, which we paid for them. I wasn't too happy because a local deaf couple had got in a deaf couple from Miskolc for free on multiple occasions. That Miskolc couple never spend anything there, yet take advantage of all the facilities!

Despite the above I still do not have any regrets moving here. Life was far from perfect in England so I can't complain. We have put our foot down to have less contact on a daily basis with the closer deaf circle we had. As one British friend said to me 'I hate people living in my pocket' or something along those lines.

Lastly, it was painful watching our visitor and my wife say Goodbye because it may be the last time they see each other in person.

Last edited by FenTiger; Aug 31st 2023 at 5:31 am.