Village Shop

Old May 16th 2015, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Village Shop

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I tried to get mousetraps in ours when I discovered mice in the house. They did not have traps but they did have things like tea bags filled with "poison" and mouse glue which is supposed to catch them when spread on a piece of thin board or whatever. I didn't try the glue as it seems cruel but I did put down the sachets of blue stuff which the mice seem to enjoy with no ill effect!
There is no Mice in my place they have long gone, I am so low on cash no food for "Me" never mind the Mice digger47.5
Old May 16th 2015, 8:19 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Knowing your sense of humour, I thought you were going to say you had ate them all! Hope the test results went went.
Old May 16th 2015, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Knowing your sense of humour, I thought you were going to say you had ate them all! Hope the test results went went.
5 and 20 Blackbirds Baked in a Pie but the feathers get stuck, it always tickles my Humour digger47.5
Old May 16th 2015, 8:40 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digger47
5 and 20 Blackbirds Baked in a Pie but the feathers get stuck, it always tickles my Humour digger47.5
Bad day to mention blackbirds.... been up half the night feeding two little nestling that the cat brought in. Lost one and think I will lose the other before the day is out.

Don't go choking on those feathers, your supposed to be looking after yourself!
Old May 16th 2015, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

My village is so small ... only 45 houses and 65 people that we don't have a village shop. The nearest one is 6 miles away which isn't much help when you've got 2 feet of snow on the ground! At the end of October I do a massive stock up of everything I'm likely (or not) to need for at least a month. We've never starved yet!
Old May 16th 2015, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Bad day to mention blackbirds.... been up half the night feeding two little nestling that the cat brought in. Lost one and think I will lose the other before the day is out.

Don't go choking on those feathers, your supposed to be looking after yourself!
I am actually spitting Feathers owing to lake of an one wishing to bye my Place that's wye I can not fault our Village shop in any way, they now be by now the Anglo whom just byes every other day same things 4 Bread pieces 2lt milk some sort of cheese 1 onion to take away the taste of the cheese and I have a good supply of PG Tips to keep going and I go mad at week end and get 1 chicken fillet I cook it, then enjoy with sweet sour sauce Tesco brand 286fh. and chips so at least I will be slim digger digger47.5
Old May 16th 2015, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digger47
There is no Mice in my place they have long gone, I am so low on cash no food for "Me" never mind the Mice digger47.5
I know the feeling! What little money I have is supposed to last me until 2027 when I (hopefully) get my UK state pension but the funds are being depleted fast at the moment, just on the basics of house renovation. The new bath is to replace one with more rust than enamel and the new kitchen is because the house didn't come with one!
Old May 16th 2015, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fidobsa
I know the feeling! What little money I have is supposed to last me until 2027 when I (hopefully) get my UK state pension but the funds are being depleted fast at the moment, just on the basics of house renovation. The new bath is to replace one with more rust than enamel and the new kitchen is because the house didn't come with one!
New build taking money out of living allowance to start and no sale of other placed things are tight, next week E-one remove old supply install support column move meter, wire up store shed for incoming 440v and 220v cost 240,340fh Tax payment on purchase of property 48.470fh water bill 49.781fh
yes it's high house pipe burst will I was away for a week so both of use felling the pinch never mind might rain one day digger47
Old May 18th 2015, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Andrea D is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow this is an excellent idea.

I have never seen this in Hungary or anywhere else for that matter

So was wondering whether you may have photos of it or a link?

I am sure this is something many people would like to either introduce or use.

Fresh food is the new luxury.

Originally Posted by Englishmum
If you live in a village, isn't there a farm nearby where you can buy milk?

I currently live in Switzerland, in a village at Lake Zug. I've just had a cup of tea and used up the last of the milk. In a few minutes I will go over to the farm behind our apartment and buy some milk; there is an refridgerated automat. I take my own 1 litre milk bottles (purchased from a department store kitchen dept in Zug) and put in CHF 1.20 coins for each litre. The milk is unpasteurised and from the farm's dairy cows. They have a little portakabin where they sell items as the barn is currently being upgraded.

I can also buy fresh eggs from their own uncaged hens and apples and pressed apple juice from their orchard and in season they also sell cherries and vegetables. They also sell home made jam, lackerli (gingerbread squares) and local honey and cheese. There is a freezer containing local sausages, burger patties and ice-cream. There isn't a cashier (the farmer's wife is too busy doing other things - it is a nice young couple running the farm and they are only in their early thirties) and there is just an honesty box where you record what you've purchased and leave the money to be collected later by the farmer.

There are farms all over Switzerland selling produce in this way and I've seen honesty boxes at roadside stands in English country villages and farms where they sell local produce, also in France and Germany. Don't they do this in Hungary?
Old May 24th 2015, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

I have to confess that we practically never go into our "village shop" which is a CBA with a very limited selection.
Less than five miles away in Keszthely we have a Tesco (crappy selection of fresh meat and vegetables but often good prices on our favourite brands of coffee, mineral water etc) an Interspar (best allround prices and lots of things) and both a Lidl and an Aldi with limited selection but good quality and a lot of German/Austrian stuff.
However we buy as much as possible on the market or directly from our neighbours: potatoes, eggs, honey pumpkin seed oil etc.
We also often get presents of salad, fruit and vegetables when they have too much. In return they get some nice German chocolate which we buy at the Ritter Sport factory outlet near our German home ...
Old May 25th 2015, 10:51 am
I bite my thumb at thee

OMG, there is a Ritter outlet!!! For a while I was addicted to the whole hazelnut bars
Old May 25th 2015, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

This is getting rather OT, but still:

The chocolate outlet is in the Ritter Chocolate Museum, not too far from Stuttgart - so if anyone is driving from GB to Hungary by car and passing nearby ...
www.museum-ritter.de/
Old May 25th 2015, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond reputeSachina has a reputation beyond repute

We have a well stocked Spar in my nearest town which is reasonably priced and the quality of their meat is good, but every two weeks on a Tuesday I'll drive the 60 km to Auchan because they always have meat and chicken reduced by anything up to 50% which I buy for the doglets. I like shopping at Auchan as they have a terrific selection of French food .. pates, biscuits and other products to which I'm rather partial having lived in France for 7 years. If I'm in a "British" mood though I'll go to Tesco and stock up on my favourite goodies there ... I can't resist Bassets Liquorice Allsorts!
Old May 27th 2015, 10:32 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by wolfi
This is getting rather OT, but still:
Thanks Wolfi, what a wonderful combination, art and chocolate! Will definitely try and organise a visit when driving over.
Old May 27th 2015, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

angolmagyar is an unknown quantity at this point

MMM! I just think that you have chosen a very very quiet small village as they will only supply the already known demend.
The villages around me and my village is very well stocked though bread has to be ordered in advance as yes they will run out of bread as bread does not have the awful preservatives in as the uk and will only keep that and maybe the next day.
BUT...yes one has to adjust to the local way of life or the countries way of life and cannot expect UK or other destinations way of life. When in Rome you have to do as the Romans do!.
Regards
AM