Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Viewing properties

Viewing properties

Old Mar 3rd 2020, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Viewing properties

Originally Posted by hobgoblins
I believe the law says that you have to so it would probably be best to even if you down play it somewhat ! Some time ago there was a story in the media about new owners who took the seller to court for not disclosing that the neighbours were a nightmare and the seller had to pay out a substantial amount !
I remember reading about that. I wouldn't say my neighbours are a nightmare ..... more of an occasional nuisance and being a bit ignorant with the things they do. About three years ago I wrote them a polite note asking them if they could kindly prune back their trees. The tone of their response was like dropping a bomb on us and instead of the content of their response being about pruning their trees it was about another of our dogs constantly barking which we thought was untrue considering their own dog is often left outside constantly barking. They even threatened to report our dog to the council!!!! Very nasty indeed!! Looks like I'm going to have to banish myself to our office and whiz up something on word to attach to the Property Information Form.

Last edited by FenTiger; Mar 3rd 2020 at 8:19 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I remember reading about that. I wouldn't say my neighbours are a nightmare ..... more of an occasional nuisance and being a bit ignorant with the things they do. About three years ago I wrote them a polite note asking them if they could kindly prune back their trees. The tone of their response was like dropping a bomb on us and instead of the content of their response being about pruning their trees it was about another of our dogs constantly barking which we thought was untrue considering their own dog is often left outside constantly barking. They even threatened to report our dog to the council!!!! Very nasty indeed!! Looks like I'm going to have to banish myself to our office and whiz up something on word to attach to the Property Information Form.
If there was no official procedure started (i.e. complaints to the council or other official body) then I would say that there would be nothing to report. Whilst you are obliged to report disputes IMO A letter 3 years ago asking them to prune back trees that solicited a rude response could not be classed as a dispute. If it was confined to that then you could easily have forgotten about it by now. You are not required to be on good terms with your neighbours, just not to have stand-up rows on a frequent basis. If you each keep your selves to your selves then that IMO is not a reportable issue.
If a minor omission was made on the form e.g. that letter 3 years ago and nothing since perhaps the new owners could make something of it but they would have to go to court and with you in Hungary by then it would hardly be worth their effort.
Ask your solicitor, but caution, sometimes solicitors give an unhelpful reply because they want to protect their liability insurance premiums. You might get the reply - put down everything even e.g. if you don't like the colour they painted their front door and you mentioned it over the fence.
You have to report disputes and problems. If an event (e.g. their dog barking) was not a problem for you then IMO you don't need to put it down. You are not required to speculate what might be problems for the buyers but you have no trouble with. This means IMO trackable or traceable disputes or problems need to the declared otherwise it was not a problem for you!
Just my opinion and what I would do.
Old Mar 3rd 2020, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
If there was no official procedure started (i.e. complaints to the council or other official body) then I would say that there would be nothing to report. Whilst you are obliged to report disputes IMO A letter 3 years ago asking them to prune back trees that solicited a rude response could not be classed as a dispute. If it was confined to that then you could easily have forgotten about it by now. You are not required to be on good terms with your neighbours, just not to have stand-up rows on a frequent basis. If you each keep your selves to your selves then that IMO is not a reportable issue.
If a minor omission was made on the form e.g. that letter 3 years ago and nothing since perhaps the new owners could make something of it but they would have to go to court and with you in Hungary by then it would hardly be worth their effort.
Ask your solicitor, but caution, sometimes solicitors give an unhelpful reply because they want to protect their liability insurance premiums. You might get the reply - put down everything even e.g. if you don't like the colour they painted their front door and you mentioned it over the fence.
You have to report disputes and problems. If an event (e.g. their dog barking) was not a problem for you then IMO you don't need to put it down. You are not required to speculate what might be problems for the buyers but you have no trouble with. This means IMO trackable or traceable disputes or problems need to the declared otherwise it was not a problem for you!
Just my opinion and what I would do.
Good point about whether the rows/disputes are a frequent occurence which they are not. I've already emailed my solicitor to ask for advice. Will wait and see. I did mention nothing has happened since November 2019. I walked past both the husband and wife a few days ago. They were both ok with me and didn't try and speak to me or block my path or any handbags!

Last edited by FenTiger; Mar 3rd 2020 at 2:34 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I spotted a property I was quite interested in. Messengered good friend in Hungary to ask for his opinion. He had very negative opinions about it. But reading the translation from Hungarian to English it seemed like a good property to buy. My friend mentioned he had been inside that property. I'm not sure how to approach this issue. !My friend is not very good at understanding Hungarian unles it is translated to HSL ( Hungarian Sign Languague). What do I do? All I'm looking for is a summer house to use as a bolthole or haven when I'm overwhelmed by Hungarian culture and languge. If I purchased it it will be with my own personal money, not our joint money! The blurb clearly states it has been winterized but my friend says different! As mentioned I only want this property as a summer house!
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 3:19 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Go with your gut feeling. If it ticks all the boxes in your needs go for it. Just remember though your friend may know something you don't...could be a problem area for criminality, could be an issue with contamination from past manufacturing in the area. Food for thought.

passed on a 500,000 forint wine house recently...why? it had really nice grape vines and I know being handicapped I cannot even take care of the 4 vines here. No way am I up to tending to almost 200 vines plus harvesting and making wine. I want a bolt hole NOT a Labour camp in my senior years. The owner even offered me payment terms and to help run the place for 3 years. NOT interested.

I only wanted a place of refuge. if it had not had vines I would have bought it on the spot cash money at that price.

Last edited by Jack_Russells4ever; Apr 23rd 2020 at 3:21 pm. Reason: added thought
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
Go with your gut feeling. If it ticks all the boxes in your needs go for it. Just remember though your friend may know something you don't...could be a problem area for criminality, could be an issue with contamination from past manufacturing in the area. Food for thought.

passed on a 500,000 forint wine house recently...why? it had really nice grape vines and I know being handicapped I cannot even take care of the 4 vines here. No way am I up to tending to almost 200 vines plus harvesting and making wine. I want a bolt hole NOT a Labour camp in my senior years. The owner even offered me payment terms and to help run the place for 3 years. NOT interested.

I only wanted a place of refuge. if it had not had vines I would have bought it on the spot cash money at that price.
So what stops you taking the vines out and planting fruit trees or grass
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 3:47 pm
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute

So what stops you taking the vines out and planting fruit trees or grass

It already has been sold. Honestly I hated to destroy what was there and also I want a "Bolt hole" closer to the Austrian border. Lastly, the place was 3 miles from our house.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

I spotted a property I was quite interested in. Messengered good friend in Hungary to ask for his opinion. He had very negative opinions about it. But reading the translation from Hungarian to English it seemed like a good property to buy. My friend mentioned he had been inside that property. I'm not sure how to approach this issue. !My friend is not very good at understanding Hungarian unles it is translated to HSL ( Hungarian Sign Languague). What do I do? All I'm looking for is a summer house to use as a bolthole or haven when I'm overwhelmed by Hungarian culture and languge. If I purchased it it will be with my own personal money, not our joint money! The blurb clearly states it has been winterized but my friend says different! As mentioned I only want this property as a summer house!
Get another opinion on the property and research the area - eventually you will have to see it your self (or buy unseen ???)
Winterized covers a multitude of sins and there is no standard. At a minimum it could mean the water drains down properly or at the top end properly insulated with heating options. Details are needed!
How often do you expect to need a bolt hole? looking at the cost of owning a summer house with the maintenance, security etc. and the capital outlay it might be cheaper and easier to rent holiday accommodation for the occasional week.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

I know several people who have large problems with "summer houses" - which are neither heated nor supervised in winter.
Just a few examples of what can go wrong:
Mold everywhere because the humidity is too high.
Water supply freezing and breaking.
This happened to a friend of mine who left his house for a few weeks when it was extremely cold. He had left the central heating on but it developed a fault somehow and switched off ...
Even one of his toilet seats was destroyed by freezing water.
of course you can put in some antifreeze - same goes for heating or other water lines.
So you should look really closely!
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks so much for your responses. I got to say I may go with my gut instinct, All I want is a summer house! The blurb states the property has been winterized so whether I use it in winter or not atleast I can ensure it survivies through the winter. That's all I care about! I want to buy this property as a haven, sanctuary or bolt hole when I'm overwhelemed by my integrergration to Hungary!. I have more to say but will release this later.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

My Hungarian wife has finally conceded we're unlikely to find the right house in the village where her family live so now we're broadening the area to look for a house. Very few properties for sale in the village and either they are too big or too small.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

My Hungarian wife has finally conceded we're unlikely to find the right house in the village where her family live so now we're broadening the area to look for a house. Very few properties for sale in the village and either they are too big or too small.
Was extending or modifying your parents house an option??
Old Sep 1st 2020, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Was extending or modifying your parents house an option??
This idea had been mentioned but there are too many faults with the house, I.e. roof timber frame needs replacing and that would need re-aligning with any extension. Adding to this we are both deaf so ringing around finding a builder, plumber, electrician, carpenter would fall on other family members. Too distracting to their every day life. It's not something we hadn't thought about. We're up for the challenge to overcome this kind of barrier but for such a big job it's not an option we want to consider further. Most deaf Hungarians rely on family members to make/take phone calls for them and also provide sign language interpreting. A completely different set up to UK.
​​​​​
Old Sep 1st 2020, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

It is unlikely that you will find a house that will not need some work so IMO finding trades people will be with you what ever happens. The only thing you can't change with a house is the location!
What is the construction of the house, stone, brick or adobe (vályogtégla) IMO adobe I would leave alone but otherwise extending/renovation should not be a problem. Most builders know the other trades people or even have the other trades 'on their books' as sub contractors. and there are more building firms who will take on a renovation managing all the trades, of course this would cost a bit more than project managing the works yourself - but much easier for you. (The builder I use has gone from a jobbing builder to project managing complete new house builds in the space of about 8 years).
Assuming the plot size is suitable have you thought of what you need to do to the current place to make it acceptable and a cost for this and what happens to the current place if you do move elsewhere?
Old Sep 1st 2020, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

hobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond reputehobgoblins has a reputation beyond repute

As Peter said above but I would also add that going for a property that is bigger than you ( think ) you need is probably preferable to going for one that is too small and needs extensions ... !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.