Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Viewing properties

Viewing properties

Old Dec 30th 2019, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Viewing properties

Originally Posted by FenTiger
That would be a mistake because it's only 1.5 bedrooms, single garage, 500m2 plot. The other having 3 bedrooms, double garage, sun room, 2 outbuildings(one of them with two saunas and laundry) both with toilet/shower, 2,225m2 plot. As much as I'm tempted to go for the larger property in long term would be too big to look after but I do like a challenge. It would keep me fit and active. Unfortunately we are in the know, via family friend of someone who is in the rendorszeg, one side of the neighbours are a nuisance! With my UK history would be too stressful. It's superb though!!! Damn!

the smaller property's owner's husband died this year so am trying to be respectful and not take advantage of the widow's situation.
A big plot is no problem - you do what you want and when / if it gets too much then plant a bit more grass and get a ride on lawn mower (and it is easy to get help to cut the grass if you have a ride on!). (the larger plot property sounds nice!)

If you do go for the smaller property then decide on what you are prepared to pay, go in with an offer and be ready to walk away if the asking is over your price and wait for them to see reason - or buy something else. (although I would not contemplate a 500m2 plot - to small to justify anything except hand machines and not space for enough fruit trees or chickens).
Old Dec 31st 2019, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
A big plot is no problem - you do what you want and when / if it gets too much then plant a bit more grass and get a ride on lawn mower (and it is easy to get help to cut the grass if you have a ride on!). (the larger plot property sounds nice!)

If you do go for the smaller property then decide on what you are prepared to pay, go in with an offer and be ready to walk away if the asking is over your price and wait for them to see reason - or buy something else. (although I would not contemplate a 500m2 plot - to small to justify anything except hand machines and not space for enough fruit trees or chickens).
The larger property garden is already grassed over with several fruit trees. I was surprised the current owners told us they used a small lawn mower!!! It certainly looked like it needed a ride-on lawn mower. The garden has two metre high fencing all around with one side covered with green mesh (obviously for privacy). I actualy felt the level of security around the property was very good and with both of us being deaf I would feel confidently safe. This property is single storey which is what my wife wants but the one thing missing is a BATH! This doesn't bother me because whenever I have a bath I'm out after five minutes! A complete waste of hot water! But for my wife she likes to relax in the bath! I have told my wife quite a few times we could always go to Bogácsi Gyógy- és Strandfürdő when she wants a good soaking! One advantage with this property is that being three bedroomed should my wife's parents feel they can no longer look after themselves we would have the space to accomodate them. My mother-in-law has been struggling for a while with walking around due to a problematic knee so with everything on the same floor she should feel comfortable. Yes, there are steps to the garden and should she need to use the loo .... no problem ..... there's two outbuildings, both with shower and toilet. The father-in-law is in the early stages of dementia so I am not sure what the impact would be on him but the space in the larger property should give him to shuffle around at his own space. The parents-in-laws house is quite small so if he wants to shuffle around he has to go outside down some steps to the garden! My father had Alzheimers so I do have some knowledge of the issues affecting people with dementia. When working for the NHS I visited alot of care homes, whether for older people, those with learning disabilities, adults with mental health issues and also secure wards so I'm pretty confident I will be able to handle any issues which arise.

..... to be honest this is the property I keep going back to. The smaller property would ensure an easy life but at the back of my head I keep thinking I'm going to get bored quite quickly as there is little to do to maintain the property!

The smaller property is two storey! No real need for me to say this is not what my wife wants! My wife would like to live at her parents house with it's huge garden in the long term but the house badly needs a new roof and according to my sister-in-law's husband needs to be demolished and replaced with a new house. So the larger property is a good compromise. It just needs a BATH so my wife will be happy. Both the smaller and larger properties are for sale at the same price so .... it would probably be ridiculous and stupid of us to not go for the larger property.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

. This property is single storey which is what my wife wants but the one thing missing is a BATH! This doesn't bother me because whenever I have a bath I'm out after five minutes! A complete waste of hot water! But for my wife she likes to relax in the bath! .... it would probably be ridiculous and stupid of us to not go for the larger property.
It sounds like the larger property ticks most (all) of the boxes - except for the bath...........it can't be a big deal to modify the bathroom to fit a bath - can it??
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like the larger property ticks most (all) of the boxes - except for the bath...........it can't be a big deal to modify the bathroom to fit a bath - can it??
Was thinking about that this morning. The "bathroom" which has shower and wash basin might be difficult to fit a bath in due to a boiler in one corner. I have the room measurements so might have a look to see if a bath will fit.
The larger plot house is 150 sq m. There will only be two of us plus two dogs living in there. Sister-in-law's house is 130 sq m.

Last edited by FenTiger; Jan 2nd 2020 at 10:46 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

When you say boiler do you mean
a) a gas boiler
b) a wood burner boiler
c) an electric water heater - also called a boiler in Hungarian albeit with a different spelling.

If it's a gas boiler , these are not too difficult to move to another outside wall or higher up in a purpose built cupboard over one end of the bath and if the boiler is more than 20 years old then it probably need changing anyway. But needs a professional gas fitter.

If its a wood burner then difficult to move but for ease of your future you probably should install a gas boiler anyway and the cost of gas heating with a modern boiler is as cheap or cheaper than bought in cut up fire wood. (assumes there is gas in the house or in the road)

If it's an electric water heater Hungarian 'bojler' then it's easy to move, a DIY job if you are half way competent in a bit of wiring and plumbing.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

When you say boiler do you mean
a) a gas boiler
b) a wood burner boiler
c) an electric water heater - also called a boiler in Hungarian albeit with a different spelling.

If it's a gas boiler , these are not too difficult to move to another outside wall or higher up in a purpose built cupboard over one end of the bath and if the boiler is more than 20 years old then it probably need changing anyway. But needs a professional gas fitter.

If its a wood burner then difficult to move but for ease of your future you probably should install a gas boiler anyway and the cost of gas heating with a modern boiler is as cheap or cheaper than bought in cut up fire wood. (assumes there is gas in the house or in the road)

If it's an electric water heater Hungarian 'bojler' then it's easy to move, a DIY job if you are half way competent in a bit of wiring and plumbing.
To be honest I can't quite remember whether its gas or electric but think its definitely gas. I realise now why I thought not possible to fit a bath because of the wash basin which has cupboards each side. Simple solution get rid of the cupboards and put it next to the boiler!
We have decided to widen the area we want to buy a property to the next village. Seems more options and more or less what we want.
Old Jan 5th 2020, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

To be honest I can't quite remember whether its gas or electric but think its definitely gas. I realise now why I thought not possible to fit a bath because of the wash basin which has cupboards each side. Simple solution get rid of the cupboards and put it next to the boiler!
We have decided to widen the area we want to buy a property to the next village. Seems more options and more or less what we want.
Moving house is reckoned to be the 2nd most stressful event you can do. (divorce comes in at no. 1)

I was once told about buying a house - If you find one that ticks 85% - 90% of the boxes then go for it because you won't get better........and here's the key......and stop looking!!!!!!!!

I would add the 3 most important things are location,location and location. Anything else can be changed by employing a builder.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Shotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the roughShotgun is a jewel in the rough

<<<Moving house is reckoned to be the 2nd most stressful event you can do. (divorce comes in at no. 1)>>>

I have moved house on numerous occasions and never felt it stressful at all (haven't tried no. 1 yet).

Fen does appear to be making hard work of things though.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shotgun
<<<Moving house is reckoned to be the 2nd most stressful event you can do. (divorce comes in at no. 1)>>>

I have moved house on numerous occasions and never felt it stressful at all (haven't tried no. 1 yet).

Fen does appear to be making hard work of things though.
You are right. I just want to make sure we get it right first time!
Old Jan 6th 2020, 10:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Little reminder for any who may need it.

In the middle of moving, our lawyer has reminded us to use the accelerated Land Registry process so as to have our purchase registered before brexit on 31st January. After that Brits will need an additional permit to purchase property.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick

In the middle of moving, our lawyer has reminded us to use the accelerated Land Registry process so as to have our purchase registered before brexit on 31st January. After that Brits will need an additional permit to purchase property.
Thanks for tipping me off about this. Think I'll buy the property in my wife's name.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expatrick

During the transition period (until Dec. 31st this year) freedom of movement will remain in place and citizens rights together with membership of the customs union and single market will also remain in force so IMO the additional permit should not be needed - lets hope the officialdom knows about this !
Old Jan 6th 2020, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

During the transition period (until Dec. 31st this year) freedom of movement will remain in place and citizens rights together with membership of the customs union and single market will also remain in force so IMO the additional permit should not be needed - lets hope the officialdom knows about this !
You may be right, however I do trust my lawyer!
Old Jan 6th 2020, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for tipping me off about this. Think I'll buy the property in my wife's name.
For lots of reasons IMO you should buy your new home in joint ownership
Old Jan 6th 2020, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

For lots of reasons IMO you should buy your new home in joint ownership
Ok. Will do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.