Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Viewing properties

Viewing properties

Old Nov 13th 2019, 10:12 am
Banned

Jack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond reputeJack_Russells4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Viewing properties

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
That's what I meant by the historical baggage of a former life style.

Planning permission (and building regs) are a fairly modern phenomena.

Vacant plots within a village are not often available, but certainly an option can be to buy a village house in need of lots of repair - and call in the bulldozer!
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^

Peter, there are a couple of plots for sale in our village, not sure about the prices but certainly there are a few derelict properties in the village also that the bulldozer option would certainly work wonders including ours.

Our house is a typical long style old adobe house with walls about 55cm thick on the exterior. I think if we could we would use the bulldozer option on this place but realistically we doubt we could afford to build an entire new home.
Old Nov 13th 2019, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

jameswm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Viewing properties

The Hungarian trick of having gutter down pipes ending at ground level next to the wall is a disaster as is the practice of having a meter or so of concrete next to the house as a path.
Thanks Peter, finally have heard someone confirm what I thought...
Old Nov 14th 2019, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a few properties I have looked at on Ingatlan the neighbouring property has outbuildings with no roof guttering which means every time it rains this will cascade onto the property I've viewed on Ingatlan. This puts me off because I wouldn't want the garden or driveway to be so wet. Are there any rules which I could use to force the neighbours to install roof guttering.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

Fentiger, here in the village not far from Hévíz (so it's not poor ...) there are still buildings without any roof guttering at all!
And when I drive to Austria/Germany via Sümég and Sopron it's a kind of hobby of mine to count these in the villages that I/we pass through - there are quite a few!
Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I'm flying to Budapest next Saturday. SIL will pick me up although I've said I'm happy to get the train to Miskolc or Nyekhadlaza if it stops there.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfi
Fentiger, here in the village not far from Hévíz (so it's not poor ...) there are still buildings without any roof guttering at all!
And when I drive to Austria/Germany via Sümég and Sopron it's a kind of hobby of mine to count these in the villages that I/we pass through - there are quite a few!
I think you will find there is normally more roof overhang than would be the case for a building with guttering, so the rainwater is being dumped a metre or so from the walls. It is still a pain if you need to go in and out of such buildings when it's raining! I still need to fit guttering to my house but at least I did the small roof of the porch, so I can go in and out without having a cold shower! My problem is one of transporting long items as I have not found a builders merchant willing to deliver to my village. I also need skirting boards but have the same problem, even if I could find a place that stocks suitable timber.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damn! Just discovered a property my wife liked and I was supposed to view when in Hungary the next weekend has been removed from Ingatlan. Either it's sold or it's been pulled off the market. I did see a message in English 'Incorrect Data' so I am unsure whether that's the reasons it's been taken off the website. SIL will make enquiries and also our friends. Seems our friends are more in the know of houses for sale in the area so hopefully they might find something within my range. They have mentioned a property for sale but it's not on Ingatlan and what I've seen of it on Google Maps/Street View it looks really nice. The road is busier than we'd like but it's much less busy than where I'm living in UK! I suspect it will be at a price whereby I need some extra funding from selling the UK house but that won't be released until the completion of contract! The worst case scenario is the UK sale collapsing thus losing the deposit!
Old Nov 18th 2019, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Damn! Just discovered a property my wife liked and I was supposed to view when in Hungary the next weekend has been removed from Ingatlan. Either it's sold or it's been pulled off the market. I did see a message in English 'Incorrect Data' so I am unsure whether that's the reasons it's been taken off the website. SIL will make enquiries and also our friends. Seems our friends are more in the know of houses for sale in the area so hopefully they might find something within my range. They have mentioned a property for sale but it's not on Ingatlan and what I've seen of it on Google Maps/Street View it looks really nice. The road is busier than we'd like but it's much less busy than where I'm living in UK! I suspect it will be at a price whereby I need some extra funding from selling the UK house but that won't be released until the completion of contract! The worst case scenario is the UK sale collapsing thus losing the deposit!
Nothing to stop you putting a clause in the contract delaying completion until the UK house completes (without specific names and dates). But this depends upon the seller agreeing and whether the seller needs to sell to buy and whether they think they can get another buyer at your price before the UK house completes.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary - That's a good idea. I'm trying to keep some funds back for any contingencies for my UK house to be on the safe side. Will try and negotiate something like this if I feel one of the houses is right for us. I'll have to get my wife to explain to her sister about this option. I'll be staying with friends when I am in Hungary and lucky me both their sons speak good English so I'll be able to explain the UK buying/selling process on top of using ISL (International Sign Language) and Google Translate.

Last edited by FenTiger; Nov 18th 2019 at 4:45 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Viewing properties

lucky me both their sons speak good English so I'll be able to explain the UK buying/selling process on top of using ISL (International Sign Language) and Google Translate.
ISL sounds a better (easier) option than Hungarian !!

Old Nov 20th 2019, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ISL sounds a better (easier) option than Hungarian !!
Also HSL which I'm also having to learn. The friends have visited England and learnt some English and BSL before they came to stay for 12 nights.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Cabin bag packed and ready to fly. Unfortunately, no room for presents for the hosts except Twinings English Tea bags for sister-in-law. Hope they will not get upset although I could buy some stuff at airport!
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cabin bag packed and ready to fly. Unfortunately, no room for presents for the hosts except Twinings English Tea bags for sister-in-law. Hope they will not get upset although I could buy some stuff at airport!
Good luck with the search !!
BTW out of curiosity - do you have an assistance hearing dog?

Old Nov 22nd 2019, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here in UK we call them Hearing Dogs for the Deaf. I do have a dog but not a HDftD. I do know deaf people who have them. They are great, especially if the deaf person lives alone. I'm sure you know they are trained to alert the deaf person to noises, sounds, etc. around the house. The deaf person and HDftD have to attend training sessions every six months for 2-3 days to ensure the HDftD is maintaining the standards expected. We have a pager system to alert us to doorbell, smoke detector, telephone, etc. There's four options on the pager with the fourth being for a baby alarm but if you have a sound sensor to send a signal to it you could use it for anything. Until recently I used it to alert me to any noises near my garage door which is out of sight. In UK this equipment is provided free of charge to deaf people by social services. I think the standard model we have is between £500-600. We plan to buy one before we move to Hungary as the one we have is only loaned out until no longer needed.

Last edited by FenTiger; Nov 22nd 2019 at 8:05 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I should add I hope my cabin bag won't be searched because my sister-in-law left some clothes here earlier this year and she's asked if I could bring them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.