Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Viewing properties

Viewing properties

Old Oct 26th 2019, 12:57 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Viewing properties

Originally Posted by FenTiger
;-) I could always live in my favourite house and my wife in the small house where the current owners mother lived!
Will discuss with wife tomorrow. I'm picking her up 11pm UK time.
I don't think Mrs FenTiger would be too thrilled with that

Happy homecoming! (I hope you've cleaned the house)
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I had to look up 'Magyar' I've only had a too brief 2 week visit to Hungary, and then only saw the two sides of Budapest, but that tiny taste made me want to see and experience more.

Referring back to another thread that discussed the difference between tourism and travelling, I was obviously a tourist. But we did do what we usually do, rented an apartment from a local and shopped for groceries etc, I don't see the point in going to another country and not at least making an effort to interact with local people. The apartment was next to a little cafe (I know that's not the right word) and we'd sit there for hours drinking carafes of red and talking with the owner (whose English was fantastic compared to my zero Hungarian). Quite often the men who were working on roads nearby would call in for a quick wine or beer, and then go back to work. I would so love to go back and spend some time travelling around.
You should come back SoS, só much to see & do, particularly if you can also get out of the city. If travelling extensively outside of Budapest doesn't appeal you can still get to Szentendre, Vác, Visegrád & Esztergom (the original Capital - up by the Slovak border), by boat / hydrofoil. These are all quite different to Budapest.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I don't think Mrs FenTiger would be too thrilled with that

Happy homecoming! (I hope you've cleaned the house)
Mrs.FenTiger is looking forward to flying "home". She's been missing Archie, our sprocker.

Last two properties she has lived in didn't need any remodelling but 98% of properties we've seen on Ingatlan needed updating. I've been through updating the kitchen at my first property in U.K.. It dragged on and on. Even worse one of my best friends pinched my builder so I only had use of him on one weekend day instead of two. There wasn't much more to do so I sacked him. I did the tiling on the walls myself. I also put down the flooring. That was more than eighteen years ago and I don't have the energy to do so much. I've been decorating our UK house past month or so on and off.

Haven't done much cleaning. I've had manflu past two weeks and yesterday had very painful earache. Our dog is also continually coming inside with muddy paws and leaves.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I concur what Expatrick says about getting out of Budapest. I've mostly explored the north east of Hungary and also been to Keszelly (spelling?).
Old Oct 26th 2019, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Frustrating isn't it! Never mind, keep looking.

We have just had an offer on an apartment accepted, of course being here makes it so much easier. We assessed at least a hundred on the internet (since June), recced about 30 (location, exterior, etc), viewed 6 - & finally found what we wanted. Not too bad as we were being pretty picky.

Just got to sell ours now...

Good luck with your ongoing search!
Update: As of tonight we received an offer (STC) on our flat - which we accepted.
So, fingers crossed it all goes through...
Old Oct 26th 2019, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Will there be any remodelling of the property?
Old Oct 27th 2019, 7:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by FenTiger
Will there be any remodelling of the property?
That we are buying, no.

That we are selling, the buyer is a mature lady architect, with some chronic back problems & she is very short - so she is going to have the kitchen wall cupboards altered / lowered - otherwise no.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Expatrick. Can I just ask how much under the asking price can you offer in Budapest. Would love a bolthole in BP but have to persuade the OH. Seems to be loads for sale and I was wondering what you can get away with in terms of offers on apartments.
Thanks
Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cathyg
Hi Expatrick. Can I just ask how much under the asking price can you offer in Budapest. Would love a bolthole in BP but have to persuade the OH. Seems to be loads for sale and I was wondering what you can get away with in terms of offers on apartments.
Thanks
Hi! I hesitate to try & offer a hard & fast rule but in our case the buyer offered 2.5 % less than the asking price. Naturally sellers usually expect an offer below the asking price, as a generalisation 5 % would certainly seem reasonable, but you may, occasionally get away with 10%. I think you have to try & judge how reasonable / sensible the asking price is!

​​​​​​What District do you have in mind? At the moment Districts 1,2,5 & 12 do achieve close to asking price.

Edited: Don't be frightened of offering below the asking price - there's always a negotiation to be done!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Oct 27th 2019 at 8:29 am.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to remember when putting in an offer, once you make an offer you can always go up but you can't go down. If you can find out how for long the place has been on the market this can be a guide. If it has been on for a long time then it is probably over priced. Also if the sellers have somewhere they want to buy then a lower price for a quick sale might work as might a cash (no bank loan) help. On the other hand if the sellers are selling their parents place which is empty - so no rush then they can / will wait for the market to catch up with their inflated price. It is worth doing some homework to determine the sellers situation. A local situation here was a large property on the market for 65M for 10 years recently sold for 48M. the owners health deteriorated and they wanted to sell.

I did hear that every 4 property purchase was with the governments family support grant. This is distorting the housing market (as do all grants and subsidies distort the market place)

Don't forget that in Hungary solicitors don't do searches. If you want searches done you will have to do your own or detail exactly what you want from the solicitor and ask if he will do the job. Usually here the job of the solicitor is to make sure that the sale is legal, they do not act in the best interest of either party but act neutrally to ensure all is within the law, anything other than this will have to be agreed beforehand.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:57 am
Account Closed

The estate agents here have access to the property register which gives details of loans, number of owners, etc. Should ask for that before making an offer.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

cathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond reputecathyg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I like district XI mainly because of Allee and the market next door, also the new shopping mall being built at Kelenfold and easy access to Pest. It seems a little cheaper. Have been looking but so many on the market. Not sure how new builds stack up in BP in terms of quality of build. OH says we have to have some sort of income and I am not sure about AIrbnb and tax etc. So I will continue to dream.
Thanks for the info...
Old Oct 27th 2019, 9:03 am
Account Closed

Thanks. I like district XI mainly because of Allee and the market next door, also the new shopping mall being built at Kelenfold and easy access to Pest. It seems a little cheaper. Have been looking but so many on the market. Not sure how new builds stack up in BP in terms of quality of build. OH says we have to have some sort of income and I am not sure about AIrbnb and tax etc. So I will continue to dream.
Thanks for the info...
XI is certainly a bit cheaper than 1,2,5 & 12. New builds tend to have lower ceiling heights than the "classical" builds (if that matters to you).
Old Oct 27th 2019, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info...
I understand that Airbnb detail to the tax authorities rental income sent to landlords. For tourist lets you now have to register the property and enter on-line as lets happen. This is an attempt to whiten up the black economy of tourist lets. The local council has the responsibility of sorting the registrations. The economics of doing tourist lets from a distance need consideration because by the time you have paid agents and cleaning people and maintenance and trips up to the property there may not be too much left.

XI is certainly a bit cheaper than 1,2,5 & 12. New builds tend to have lower ceiling heights than the "classical" builds (if that matters to you).
Lower ceiling make for easier (cheaper) heating because you always heat from the top down.

The estate agents here have access to the property register which gives details of loans, number of owners, etc. Should ask for that before making an offer.
Estate agents work for themselves first and then the seller so they don't have to tell all when asked questions. Anyone can go into the local land office and look at the land registry details of any property which will detail any encumbrances to the property along with the registered owners, how long they have owned the property and previous ownership history. Looking at the details in the land office is free, getting a printed copy is a chargeable event.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 10:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Peter_in_Hungary
Estate agents work for themselves first and then the seller so they don't have to tell all when asked questions. Anyone can go into the local land office and look at the land registry details of any property which will detail any encumbrances to the property along with the registered owners, how long they have owned the property and previous ownership history. Looking at the details in the land office is free, getting a printed copy is a chargeable event.
If the agent didn't offer up the search straight up I would kick them into touch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.