British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Hungary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/)
-   -   Vet prices for injections (https://britishexpats.com/forum/hungary-140/vet-prices-injections-895167/)

HelenLancert Apr 9th 2017 3:30 pm

Vet prices for injections

What is the current price for owning a pet (dog) in Hungary? I am thinking of getting a dog and wandered what veternary fees immediately come to mind and need paying? I would buy the dog from Hungary, so no need for transport etc costs. So how much is a pet passport, general and yearly injection and so forth.

Thank you for your time

PaulinEger Apr 9th 2017 4:55 pm

Re: Vet prices for injections

We have 2 rescue dogs and probably spend no more than 15,000 forints each per year on them. I think the annual rabies jab is about 4,500, the odd wormer and then the tick treatment in the summer. We buy BRIT dry dog food and that's about 8,000 ft for 6-8 weeks depending on the dog (2 different sizes).
Our largest dog has had to have 2 operations to stitch large, open wounds after he jumped some fences and each time the treatment was around the 20,000 ft mark.

fidobsa Apr 10th 2017 9:53 am

Vet fees are generally lower in Hungary than in western Europe and much lower than USA. Dogs do require a microchip and pet passport. There is a passport for use just in Hungary but it is better to get one for the whole of Europe. I find the most expensive item I need for my dog is the spot on treatment for ticks. Obviously this is not manufactured in Hungary so will probably cost much the same everywhere. There are good and bad vets so you may need to try a few to find a good one.

wolfi Apr 10th 2017 2:50 pm

Helen, where are you?

In Keszthely there are several vets but our favourite is in Hévíz (just across the Magyar Csarda) - a young woman, very nice and gentle with all animals. She also neutered our tomacat and her prices are reasonable - much lower than we had to pay in Germany.
http://allatorvosheviz.hu/
The medicine of course is about the same price.
Btw here the vets also sell the medicine though there is an animal pharmacy too in Keszthely.

I'd also suggest the EU passport with the microchip.

Sachina Apr 12th 2017 11:52 am

Originally Posted by HelenLancert (Post 12225064)
What is the current price for owning a pet (dog) in Hungary? I am thinking of getting a dog and wandered what veternary fees immediately come to mind and need paying? I would buy the dog from Hungary, so no need for transport etc costs. So how much is a pet passport, general and yearly injection and so forth.

Thank you for your time

I have 2 FCI registered dogs both bought as puppies from reputable Hungarian breeders. As a general rule of thumb pedigree puppies here are slightly less expensive than than in the UK and the price normally includes the cost of the first vaccinations, microchipping and EU Pet Passport.

By law all dogs have to be vaccinated for Rabies by the age of 16 weeks and yearly thereafter. The Rabies vaccination can only be given after the puppy has been microchipped and after the second round of vaccinations. The cost of vaccinations will be between 3500 to 4500ft per dog.

I'm not sure whether the vet practice I use is typical in that the cost of spaying/neutering depends on the weight of the dog. Certainly in the area I live whilst female dogs are usually spayed, males are kept intact. I paid a total of 50000 ft for my 17kg girl to be spayed and at the same time have quite a major operation on her eyes. My own vet doesn't charge for check ups.

Hope that helps!

HelenLancert Apr 12th 2017 2:20 pm

Thank you all for the information. I live in Budapest but do travel every so often around Hungary, so I am not after a specific veternary surgery but more for the prices. I would take the dog on train journeys if possible around Hungary. I still do not know what that procedure is yet and its costs, but that is the type of information I need to find out before buying any pet.

I just love the freedom and good weather Hungary gives, which I feel suits my nature and lifestyle with a dog. I did have a dog in the UK before moving to Hungary, which my sister still looks after as her own now. When I visit her I will have someone in Hungary look after my new dog. That reminds me, are dog sitter services affordable in Hungary? Sorry to ask questions but I still find the language barrier difficult here.

wolfi Apr 12th 2017 4:52 pm

Helen, you need a muzzle (for the dog of course ... ;)) traveling on a bus or train. But no extra ticket - says my wife, but she's not 100% sure ...

For a small dog a cage would be an alternative.

rammy100 Apr 12th 2017 9:57 pm

I am almost certain that you do need a ticket for the dog on public transport....we certainly did when our old dog was here. A quick look on the BKV website will answer though.

Helen - Whilst I live in Berlin, I'm spending a lot of time in Budapest this summer and possibly beyond, I love dogs and have plenty of time on my hands. If you get a dog and are looking for help, let me know. I can give you a good reference and am happy to meet beforehand.

HelenLancert Apr 14th 2017 3:14 pm

Thank you Rammy100 for the kind offer ;)

I forgot to ask what the brand names are for things such as dog shampoo, pet food and where to buy accessories. Also, what is the number one shop in Hungary for buying dog accessories?

Many thanks.

Sachina Apr 14th 2017 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by HelenLancert (Post 12229168)
Thank you Rammy100 for the kind offer ;)

I forgot to ask what the brand names are for things such as dog shampoo, pet food and where to buy accessories. Also, what is the number one shop in Hungary for buying dog accessories?

Many thanks.

I buy things like shampoo, supplements and tick/flea treatment from either PetPlanet or Viovet in the UK who both deliver to Hungary. Collars, leads and harnesses I buy online from Julius K9 hu. Food I also buy online to be delivered COD from Petissimo, Gordi or Zooplus. If you look on their website you'll find brands of both wet and dry food that you also find in the UK. My two dogs have Acana grain free and either Brit of Gran Carno wet food which are available in the UK as well.

wolfi Apr 14th 2017 7:02 pm

There are many smaller shops selling pet stuff and there's "Fressnapf" (a German chain) which has all kinds of acccessories but the regular brands of pet food are sold everywhere. We buy Darling dry food for our dog or just the Tesco brand - 10 kilos at around 3000 HUF (when on offer).

HelenLancert Apr 14th 2017 8:14 pm

Thank you once again guys, it has been really helpful information. Not knowing the brand names can make the decision making more complex. At least now I know where to look and what to look for.

fidobsa Apr 15th 2017 4:41 pm

Our Tesco has a few small shops in the same building, including a pet supplies shop. I give my dog a mixture of dry food which I have moistened, tinned dog food and often some of whatever meat I am having. For the tinned food I mostly buy one called "Scotty" that they sell in Interspar and Spar shops.

wolfi Apr 15th 2017 6:48 pm

Our dog is old and always hungry and we also feed not only our cat but also some poor cats from the neighbourhood with dry food - the cheapest variety is ok, they are all tested and checked for nutritional value.

Also my wife sometimes cooks "farhát" with rice - these are chicken carcasses you get at a butcher (also Tesco and Interspar) for less than 200 HUF a kilo. They of course contain bones but also some meat and fat and the animals like them as extras ...
I use a heavy knife to cut the carcasses (not a nice sight) into smaller pieces before cooking them.

PS:

There's another dog we "help to feed" - its Hungarian owners live in Germany, come here only once or twice a year - and the poor dog has no contacts besides the neighbour who brings him some dry dog food and water once a day/twice a week (if at all ...) - now the couple have divorced, nobody knows what will become of the dog ...
Can you imagine that?