Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

URGENT - Flooding risk

URGENT - Flooding risk

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy URGENT - Flooding risk

Just seen the terrible flooding on the news. I am due to fly out to Hungary on Wednesday 5th June - what news from Balaton area (I am flying into Budapest)?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:24 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT - Flooding risk

Will tell you later, heading for Budapest now
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bkk.hu/en/2013/06/flood/

gives regular updates
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Thank you - I hope disaster doesn't strike in Pest.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Having looked at the weather forecast for the rest of the week - rain and thunderstorms, I have decided to cancel my spa break on Wednesday.

As it is not essential travel I feel I am tempting fate to come but I hope that the expected flooding does not cause too much damage or loss of life.

Thinking of you all.

Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:37 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

No flooding, only hold up was roadworks on Erzbeth hid which increased traffic to Margit hid subsequently causing gridlock and making us late
River levels are high and looks like some flooding will be inevitable but I don't think it would cause you any great problems, just a few detours getting out of the city. Weather this end is to clear by Wednesday evening with sun forecast for Thursday
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

If you see the devastation that has been caused in Germany, Austria and Czech Republic I just worry that the water has to go somewhere and Hungary looks likely.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

llareggub is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by capricorn2013
If you see the devastation that has been caused in Germany, Austria and Czech Republic I just worry that the water has to go somewhere and Hungary looks likely.
Levels are forecast to peak on Saturday Night/Sunday morning in Budapest, looking at 50 year highs but only 30cm more than was experienced in 2006. I'm sure the city itself will be terrible to drive in and public transport could be a little hit an miss but other than that no reason not to visit. To be perfectly honest I am planning a trip this weekend as a photographer for editorial picks of the floods, there is no real danger...

The case is a little different further up in the north west along the Danube route there seems to be some real concern over the flood defenses in that neck of the woods
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:06 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Up towards Szentendre, the Danube was already extremely high a few weeks ago and so I would expect flooding there, on the island and perhaps the lower embankments should the forecasted rain materialise but I doubt you would be exposed to more than gridlock. Nobody we encountered today seemed to be overly concerned.
Admittedly, not the greatest weather for the start of a holiday but the forecast for Heviz isn't too bad.
Webcam for the Danube
Old Jun 4th 2013, 9:08 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

http://www.thedaily.hu/floods-on-their-way/
Old Jun 5th 2013, 6:15 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Did you risk it?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:20 am
I bite my thumb at thee

That's yesterdays footage, from the webcam, it has risen quite dramatically
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi Rural - decided on balance not to come to Hungary.

Weather dreary and the extra dimension of the flooding (and now minor earthquake!) would mean it would not necessarily be conducive to a restful spa week.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 8:33 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Well tomorrow I head into the heart of the, thankfully retreating, floods. Our usual route takes us along the riverside so obviously need to find a different way in though looking at traffic webcams, apart from slightly heavier traffic on Margit Krt, the roads don't seem too bad.

Shame you missed your spa break Capricorn as it seems the city was pretty well organised and apart from a few isolated cases, there doesn't seem to have been too much disruption to life in the city